Brian Lee/ Lee High

BigDon2024

Just now, sixcat said:

He should be about ready to leave Chatham.  He's been there for going on 12 months now.

The latest "Turner News" I've head is that he's getting ready to "retire," now take that for what its worth. 

3 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

The latest "Turner News" I've head is that he's getting ready to "retire," now take that for what its worth. 

He's "retired" what, a half a dozen times now?

Along with the "retirement" statement was his name being thrown around for the Radford job soooooo...........yeah not buying it.

4 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

Along with the "retirement" statement was his name being thrown around for the Radford job soooooo...........yeah not buying it.

After the fiasco in Pulaski and Carroll, I don't see Radford ever going in that direction.  They have pretty good leadership at the administrative level. 

43 minutes ago, BigDon2024 said:

Who have you heard Oldcat? Maybe Tim Johnson an old Lee assistant coming back?

No I’ve not heard Johnson’s name.  If it gets done, I’ll post the name here before it hits the media. Fair enough?  Since this coach is currently at another job I don’t want to put his name out there until he has accepted the position, which I’m told is very close to happening. 

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Am I missing something here?  His best record at TW was 6-5 on 3 occasions (2008, 2009, 2011).  Each one of those seasons ended in a playoff shellacking.  He went 1-9 in his only season at Eastern Montgomery, and the news of his departure hit papers before he had a chance to tell his players.  He lasted 1 game at John Battle.  

Unless this is in fact Brian, in which case: Hello!

He also coached at Lee already before those. From 2000-2002, a couple of years after Williams retired, records were 2-8 each of those 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

there's several old ball coaches in the surrounding area, ky/tn/va, that if allowed to coach old school again, could do well in time.  old school mentality is so hard to find these days. 

The kids don't want it and the parents won't tolerate it...good old fashion discipline and accountability have flown the coop!

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

The kids don't want it and the parents won't tolerate it...good old fashion discipline and accountability have flown the coop!

And there's the reason they are in the situation they are in......(I'm not saying you are supporting this SXSW) 

Yeah Beamerball, Brian struggled his first couple of years at Lee. He got some experience and went to TW and ruled the district. Heck, you didn't see Burton trying to move into the Cumberland with Brian was coaching at TW. Not sure how true it is, but I was told he was offered a job as Def Coordinator at Maryville during his run at TW. He told George Quarles he didn't play second fiddle to anyone. Like I say, just what I was told but I can see it. Anyway, OldCat's rumor didn't come true. Still waiting to see if my sources are correct! I also heard if Brian gets the job, the money men in the county are going to install a turf field.

2 hours ago, BigDon2024 said:

Yeah Beamerball, Brian struggled his first couple of years at Lee. He got some experience and went to TW and ruled the district. Heck, you didn't see Burton trying to move into the Cumberland with Brian was coaching at TW. Not sure how true it is, but I was told he was offered a job as Def Coordinator at Maryville during his run at TW. He told George Quarles he didn't play second fiddle to anyone. Like I say, just what I was told but I can see it. Anyway, OldCat's rumor didn't come true. Still waiting to see if my sources are correct! I also heard if Brian gets the job, the money men in the county are going to install a turf field.

What years did he rule the Cumberland? I'm genuinely curious. He never won more than six games in a year and was 0- 3 in the playoffs. I can't imagine winning the Cumberland and not making the playoffs, were there years there he won district but didn't make playoffs?

Def didn't win it in 04, 05, 06, can't imagine won in 07 losing to Castlewood big, St Paul big, but it's possible I guess, 08 is def possible, won six games and had a playoff game, 09 the same, 2010 it's possible, they didn't make playoffs but went 5-5 so they may have won a share, 2011 it's likely, they made playoffs and won six games and def not 2012, 1-9.

Judging by records and stuff, it looks like they won it three times but it's possible they won it four or five times. I can't find any official district standings but I'd wager they soon three. 

You also mentioned Burton being scared lol, that's silly, they kicked TWs ass during that period. Lee played them four times, was 0-4 and lost by an average of 30 points per game (47-16 avg. Scores of 55-22, 47-22, 41-0 and 47-22).

Thomas Walker is 0-17 lifetime against Burton. I'd wager infinity money TW had zero impact on their decision to join/not join Cumberland in any way aside from travel time.

As a matter of fact, Thomas Walker never lost to Burton by less than 14 points. Never once did TW even play a one score game against Burton much less beat them lol. The two closest games were 21-7 and 34-14. The average score of their meetings is 45-8, a 37 point margin. This talk about potential state titles and all that is nonsense. 

20 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

What years did he rule the Cumberland? I'm genuinely curious. He never won more than six games in a year and was 0- 3 in the playoffs. I can't imagine winning the Cumberland and not making the playoffs, were there years there he won district but didn't make playoffs?

The Cumberland was absolutely dreadful for the last ~15 years before the 2011 reconfiguration.  And it severely damaged the competitive balance of D1/D2 for years. 2003 was a great example.  Rye Cove won the Cumberland with a 5-5 overall record, then got their doors blown off by Haysi in Round 1, while a 9-1 Honaker team that was a legitimate threat to win a championship sat at home.  

The format we have now is better by far, even if Shenandoah Valley and Central VA school districts get leaks from the VHSL.

59 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The Cumberland was absolutely dreadful for the last ~15 years before the 2011 reconfiguration.  And it severely damaged the competitive balance of D1/D2 for years. 2003 was a great example.  Rye Cove won the Cumberland with a 5-5 overall record, then got their doors blown off by Haysi in Round 1, while a 9-1 Honaker team that was a legitimate threat to win a championship sat at home.  

The format we have now is better by far, even if Shenandoah Valley and Central VA school districts get leaks from the VHSL.

Kept a decent Haysi team at home in 04. 

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

So the Cumberland winner always made the playoffs? I was 99% sure but couldn't say for 100% certainty. So that means Lee won the district three times in nine seasons. Hardly dominating but still a very successful era for a school with no success at all to speak of.

the system is infinitely better now. There's zero reason a 9-1 team should ever be excluded even if it means a few bad teams make the playoffs.

16 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

03 if RC wasn't the only sub 200 enrollment  D2 school in the state they possibly compete for the state title in D1 also.  While the district had fell off from its strength of the 80s, there were good teams sprinkled in there.  Its not like it was as weak as the MED I believe it was in that stretch.

24 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

03 if RC wasn't the only sub 200 enrollment  D2 school in the state they possibly compete for the state title in D1 also.  While the district had fell off from its strength of the 80s, there were good teams sprinkled in there.  Its not like it was as weak as the MED I believe it was in that stretch.

Beginning with the division of the MED in the mid 90's to form the Three Rivers District, the MED was the worst district in Virginia for about 15 years.  I don't think anyone can argue against that!

the Cumberland was competitive amongst itself, I believe once around 2000 cove beat app. but other than that it's been relatively quiet past November.  burton would rather have stayed in the lpd and compete with bigger/better competition than dominate the Cumberland.  would probably be better off .500 in lpd playing in D1 power points wised.

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

03 or 04? 04 is when RC came to BSG and gave the PV team that made state finals a pretty good game. 

Big Winners, TW was dominant during the Cody Cain years. Not sure what years that was but that is when Brian Lee had the train rolling down the tracks. 3 District titles is pretty good. Lots of other schools would like to have that. As far as TW not having been successful before, I think they had some dominant teams during the 90's. You seem to have lots of records at your disposal, check on TW vs Appy during those days. I think they met a few times during the playoffs and TW gave them all they wanted (with Brian Lee on the staff I might add!). TW might have been the second best team in the state during those days.

As far as Lee High losing 4 times to Burton, no surprise there! Heck, you and I could go get 9 people from Heritage Hall to play with us and probably beat Lee High! The Lee High job reminds me of the movie Hoosiers when that lady in the movie was talking to Coach Dale. She says "If anybody comes here, they are either running away from something or they've got no place else to go." Going to be tough to get anyone to take that job.

39 minutes ago, BigDon2024 said:

Big Winners, TW was dominant during the Cody Cain years. Not sure what years that was but that is when Brian Lee had the train rolling down the tracks. 3 District titles is pretty good. Lots of other schools would like to have that. As far as TW not having been successful before, I think they had some dominant teams during the 90's. You seem to have lots of records at your disposal, check on TW vs Appy during those days. I think they met a few times during the playoffs and TW gave them all they wanted (with Brian Lee on the staff I might add!). TW might have been the second best team in the state during those days.

Cody Cain was an amazing D-1 Athlete with the offers to show for it, 0 doubt in that. Man ran a 10 100 and a 21 200. 

However using the records. Cody's career was 2010 (5-5)  2011 (6-5) 2012 (1-9) and 2013 (1-9).  

The Respectable years for TWHS were 1991 (8-3) 1992 (10-1) 1996 (10-2) 2008 (6-5) 2009 (6-5) 2011 (6-5) 2017 (6-5) 2018 (7-4). 1996 was the lone Playoff win vs Ervinton only to meet Tom Turner and the Bulldogs. 

What we currently have is consistency as Head Coach and the makings of a sustained .500+ Program, something that has never been accomplished at TWHS. That is something to grow on and I am proud of the improvement that is taking place within the Football Program. 

TW is definitely has the best sports programs in Lee County, even though I am told all of the politics of the county favors Lee High. It seems Lee has nicer facilities and more money at their disposal. Not sure why. I know Lee has to play their 5 or 6 district games each year. Has Lee started charging teams to play them for the remaining 4 or 5 games each year? You know how the D1 schools pay the 1-AA schools to play just so they can get some easy wins?? Maybe that's how Lee has nice facilities. I would say the coaches at Lee see more Homecoming Queens crowned each year than anybody else in the state.