Richlands Football

Blue_Crue

I have to disagree on the flag football being safer. My sons played flag football where we lived prior to moving to VA. There were way more injuries without the pads. I saw more head injuries, busted mouths, teeth knocked out (even with a mouthpiece in), and broken clavicles were often seen. Kids still collide hard into each other in flag football and there is nothing there to protect them. I'm of the opinion to play with pads and try to teach correct technique in tackling and blocking. This was when they were 5-7 years old, then they went into pads at eight.

Sliding through Instagram today and James Harrison of all people had a post on this very topic! Basically two kids doing a tackling drill with one kid hitting the other one with the crown of the helmet right to the face mask. 

@frito gonzales the worst concussion i seen a person get was in soccer. Young man's head hit the ground very hard. He had long term issues with it as well. 

having once saw a young athlete become paralyzed from lowering his head on a hit, it's scary as hell at times watching your kid during a collision.  you always hope you're kids aren't on the receiving end of a big hit but at the same time like to see big hits when they get up and go back to the huddle ok.  the number of bad injuries compared to the number of plays during a career is low but it's always on the horizon.  it's not hard to tell when a kid has been taught correctly/incorrectly and unfortunately you still see it at the college level and professional level every day.  the game speed has increased along with size, speed, strength, and raw ability at all levels compared to just 20 years ago.  the game isn't meant to be played passive so injuries are always going to happen.  good luck to all those brave enough to still strap on a helmet and play.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Anyone have a count on applications.  I've been hearing a few, several, a whole lot, not to many, which is all speculation, so does anyone have actual numbers?

The number I heard was 8. Three internal and 5 external. But that’s not at all confirmed, just the talk around the town. So take it for what it’s worth. 

2 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

This guy? ---->  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Clark_(footballer)

If so, that could be interesting.  Kind of a whole reverse "Ted Lasso" kind of thing.

Legitimately one of the top 3 series I’ve ever watched... and we’ve only gotten one season. Writing is great. Jokes are perfect. Cast is phenomenal. Infinitely quotable. 

I watched first episodes but found it corny. They pushed too hard on 'heartwarming' but had they really veered into the harder comedy i.e. Eastbound and Down, it coulda been great.

but again I only watched two episodes

Space Jam is the only commercial turned into a movie or sitcom that I had any interest in watching.  Ted Lasso looks similar to the abject failure that was the Geico cavemen show to me.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Space Jam is the only commercial turned into a movie or sitcom that I had any interest in watching.  Ted Lasso looks similar to the abject failure that was the Geico cavemen show to me.

You need to give it a chance before you judge it like that lol. 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I watched first episodes but found it corny. They pushed too hard on 'heartwarming' but had they really veered into the harder comedy i.e. Eastbound and Down, it coulda been great.

but again I only watched two episodes

Watch the rest of the show. The comedy gets better as it goes along. It had to find its footing — which is normal for most shows first episodes. I hated Breaking Bad 3 episodes in, but I’m certainly glad I continued to watch it. 

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Watch the rest of the show. The comedy gets better as it goes along. It had to find its footing — which is normal for most shows first episodes. I hated Breaking Bad 3 episodes in, but I’m certainly glad I continued to watch it. 

That's true, the first season of the Office stunk. Same with Parks and Rec. I'll give it another go, I'm okay with Sudekis and its an interesting concept.

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That's true, the first season of the Office stunk. Same with Parks and Rec. I'll give it another go, I'm okay with Sudekis and its an interesting concept.

It really picks up steam around episode 4, IMO. Sudekis is amazing. I'm literally wearing a Ted Lasso shirt right now haha.

3 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Anyone else thinks it's a little disappointing that so many other local schools have lost and re-hired a football coach in less time than Richlands has?

Absolutely. Think it has anything to do with the unfortunate timing with Ringstaff stepping down and having to switch to a new principal?

3 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Anyone else thinks it's a little disappointing that so many other local schools have lost and re-hired a football coach in less time than Richlands has?

Heard job was offered to guy from Eastside but he reconsidered and turned it down not sure if anyone can substantiate that.