Radford hires Crist from VA High to be their next HC

SW_VA_boy

My money is on Mike Locke (VHS coach from 1994-99 & Sullivan East coach from 2011-19)

I'm told he came back as an assistant this spring 

Another strong possibility is longtime assistant Reece Sydnor

On 5/12/2021 at 4:21 PM, V-Cats said:

My money is on Mike Locke (VHS coach from 1994-99 & Sullivan East coach from 2011-19)

I'm told he came back as an assistant this spring 

Another strong possibility is longtime assistant Reece Sydnor

10 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I wonder if Chris Lark would apply given the turn around at Castlewood in his two years there. 

Shhhhhhhh! That's a secret. Don't tell anyone. He's a good young coach. Richlands and Lee may be listening.

Coach Crist is a great hire IMO he has done a lot with that VA high program over the years. I know last season was a tough one but they had a good run this year considering the schedule they had to play. I have a lot of respect for that guy personally and I wish him well.

As far as who is next I feel like VA high is a sneaky good job. They always have good athletes, you are not the number one sport on campus (that would be baseball) so the pressure of win or you fired is not as big as it is at other schools and personally I like the Bristol area as far as living there is concerned. 

One of the cons is also one of the pros because you are not the number one program I fell like that would keep you from landing a great seasoned coach however you could easily land a young hungry coach that wants to put in the work. I have also heard teaching there can be a pain in the ass.

I will be interested in where they go with this one there is a lot of jobs open right now in the area and that could open the door for some of the young coaches out there to go out there and make a name for themselves 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jags52 said:

Coach Crist is a great hire IMO he has done a lot with that VA high program over the years. I know last season was a tough one but they had a good run this year considering the schedule they had to play. I have a lot of respect for that guy personally and I wish him well.

As far as who is next I feel like VA high is a sneaky good job. They always have good athletes, you are not the number one sport on campus (that would be baseball) so the pressure of win or you fired is not as big as it is at other schools and personally I like the Bristol area as far as living there is concerned. 

One of the cons is also one of the pros because you are not the number one program I fell like that would keep you from landing a great seasoned coach however you could easily land a young hungry coach that wants to put in the work. I have also heard teaching there can be a pain in the ass.

I will be interested in where they go with this one there is a lot of jobs open right now in the area and that could open the door for some of the young coaches out there to go out there and make a name for themselves 

31 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

VHS has always had athletes!  they will always be a baseball school, but they've been competitive for the most part in everything.  maybe a good seasoned coach from ewing could return?

As long as Daniels is there that it will always be that way to. I just have a hard time believe that someone with head coaching experience would come to a school where football isn't king. Unless that coach is okay with that.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:44 AM, Jags52 said:

As long as Daniels is there that it will always be that way to. I just have a hard time believe that someone with head coaching experience would come to a school where football isn't king. Unless that coach is okay with that.

Baseball wasn't always king at VA High. Ballard Lee and Fred Fisher produced some outstanding basketball and football teams in the 70s and 80s with star players like Darryal Wilson (UT), Oakley Clay, Tyrone Mitchell, Milton Franklin (VT), Mike Pender,  Flipper Sensabaugh...

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Baseball wasn't always king at VA High. Ballard Lee and Fred Fisher produced some outstanding basketball and football teams in the 70s and 80s with star players like Darryal Wilson (UT), Oakley Clay, Tyrone Mitchell, Milton Franklin (VT), Mike Pender,  Flipper Sensabaugh...

Could add Anthony Campbell from the 1980's to that list.  He was a gifted and incredible athlete.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, 50kw said:

It has gone on since long before Daniels became baseball coach. VHS has wallowed in football mediocrity throughout the programs history.   

Yep, they were rolling in the 80s...

On 5/13/2021 at 11:22 PM, Fairlawncat said:

Could add Anthony Campbell from the 1980's to that list.  He was a gifted and incredible athlete.

Pretty good guy, too.

Soccer has been big at VHS for a while & they're going to be pretty special the next two years with the Poku twins (Patrick and Prince, who immigrated from Ghana)

WJHL did a special on them last night

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/high-school-standouts/high-school-standouts-patrick-and-prince-poku-brought-their-love-of-soccer-to-united-states/

49 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

There are alot more qualified and experienced names than Patterson, but he is well liked!  VA High has to decide whether it truly wants to commit to winning in football and have a program or stay status quo!  

Patterson took Holston to heights they haven’t been in decades....y’all could do a lot worse than him.