Radford hires Crist from VA High to be their next HC

SW_VA_boy

46 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Patterson took Holston to heights they haven’t been in decades....y’all could do a lot worse than him.

I like Patterson, and I think he's a better coach than most folks used to give him credit for, but let's not go overboard here. Holston went to back-to-back state tournaments in '08 and '09; the "decades" part is an exageration. Again, I think he's a better coach than it would indicate, but let's not forget that he has gone 5-35 when he doesn't have a once in a generation run of talent and possibly the best athlete in 1A in the offensive backfield. I do think he's a quality coach, but the jury is out for me as to whether he's a great coach.

Does anyone know if Jason Matlock is still working for the Bristol school system? I don't know if he would be interested, but as long as we're throwing out names with a connection to Holston...

On 5/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, Plywood_King said:

I like Patterson, and I think he's a better coach than most folks used to give him credit for, but let's not go overboard here. Holston went to back-to-back state tournaments in '08 and '09; the "decades" part is an exageration. Again, I think he's a better coach than it would indicate, but let's not forget that he has gone 5-35 when he doesn't have a once in a generation run of talent and possibly the best athlete in 1A in the offensive backfield. I do think he's a quality coach, but the jury is out for me as to whether he's a great coach.

Does anyone know if Jason Matlock is still working for the Bristol school system? I don't know if he would be interested, but as long as we're throwing out names with a connection to Holston...

58 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Can do a lot better with who applied as well. 

Speaking as a VHS alum and former off/on Bristol, VA resident, the issue wasn't and still doesn't seem to be coaching.  It was the culture.  The culture there basically looked at football as sport for the kids to play while waiting on baseball season to roll around.  From the little leagues up, if they put 1/2 the effort and resources into football that they at least used to baseball, VA High could easily be a Radford type clone in deep SWVA.  A whole lot of similarities there between the two as far as talent base goes.   It's the support and growth structure that isn't up to par.

Patterson is a great dude. You would have a hard time finding a better man to lead your kids. Holston struggled he first few year but the talent was.. well there wasnt much talent at all. You also got to remember he was 24 maybe when he got that job there had to be a lot of growing pains being a young head coach. I think he would be a damn good hire for VA high personally. He will finally have a few more athletes to work with and if he can get kids at Holston to come out he should be able to get the VA highs numbers way up. 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jags52 said:

Patterson is a great dude. You would have a hard time finding a better man to lead your kids. Holston struggled he first few year but the talent was.. well there wasnt much talent at all. You also got to remember he was 24 maybe when he got that job there had to be a lot of growing pains being a young head coach. I think he would be a damn good hire for VA high personally. He will finally have a few more athletes to work with and if he can get kids at Holston to come out he should be able to get the VA highs numbers way up. 

The folks here in Radford are very happy with the hiring of Crist.  It's weird, but Radford (the City of) and School Board often get these things right.  Call it good people running the show or luck, but we usually get the right coaches for the job, and we usually get the right teachers for our students.  I'm not trying to give a pat on the back here, just saying that our School Board/Leaders are actually pretty good, pretty sharp, just decent people that make pretty good leadership decisions, and that's largely based on having a good culture.  I think Crist will be welcomed in with open arms and that he will excel at Radford.  Radford's football culture is well entrenched.  Crist is a sharp dude, but at Radford, he's not going to have to change the culture or build up the youth feeder leagues, or have run in's with the baseball or basketball coach,  He's going to do well imo and the hire was a slam dunk for the Bobcats.  

I don't know about being "very" happy with the hire.   He seemed like the best candidate of the ones that were being interviewed.  It is yet to be seen how it will turn out.   He will be welcomed and I know the kids are waiting to interact with him (starting this week!) and interested to see how he will be.  The good news is there are kids that wouldn't play for Saunders that say they will play now which is good.    Crist has lots of work to do to rebuild the rec leagues.  The numbers there are dwindling and HC of the senior rec team is not knowledgeable so kids don't develop and get discouraged and don't play at the next level.  The rec leaders have been made aware but choose to not make any changes.  I think Saunders tried to be engaged in the rec programs but wasn't able to have much if any influence.   The basketball culture does interfere with football.  It's not intentional but it does.  Some of that was due to negative perception of Saunders so Crist will have a chance to change that.    All of the hires haven't been great, for example a change at AD could be a huge upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:25 AM, RadCat said:

I don't know about being "very" happy with the hire.   He seemed like the best candidate of the ones that were being interviewed.  It is yet to be seen how it will turn out.   He will be welcomed and I know the kids are waiting to interact with him (starting this week!) and interested to see how he will be.  The good news is there are kids that wouldn't play for Saunders that say they will play now which is good.    Crist has lots of work to do to rebuild the rec leagues.  The numbers there are dwindling and HC of the senior rec team is not knowledgeable so kids don't develop and get discouraged and don't play at the next level.  The rec leaders have been made aware but choose to not make any changes.  I think Saunders tried to be engaged in the rec programs but wasn't able to have much if any influence.   The basketball culture does interfere with football.  It's not intentional but it does.  Some of that was due to negative perception of Saunders so Crist will have a chance to change that.    All of the hires haven't been great, for example a change at AD could be a huge upgrade.

I’ve had some kids come up thru the rec system in Giles the past few years and the Radford Junior league (4th/5th grade) teams were always really good (think they won like 3 NRV Super Bowls in a 5 year stretch maybe 4) but once they get to the Seniors they don’t continue that trend. I’ve heard some stuff about a few rec coaches that way that blew my mind.

21 hours ago, SpartanDad23 said:

I’ve had some kids come up thru the rec system in Giles the past few years and the Radford Junior league (4th/5th grade) teams were always really good (think they won like 3 NRV Super Bowls in a 5 year stretch maybe 4) but once they get to the Seniors they don’t continue that trend. I’ve heard some stuff about a few rec coaches that way that blew my mind.

Yes, the Junior coaches have been the same for a while and have done well.  I heard this year it didn't go as well.  You nailed the Senior league and even though he coached a championship win vs Narrows when this years high school seniors were playing, the assistants made the calls on offense and defense.  There is talent there and I hope we can get some changes made.