Is what I am hearing true?

If it is true from a total outsiders perspective "My how the mighty have fallen" Richlands went from the best coaching staff in the area, to the one season (kinda) Wells experiment, to the Eastside coach with a losing record! I hope it works but always remember you are one hire a way from being an also ran.

43 minutes ago, SXSW said:

If it is true from a total outsiders perspective "My how the mighty have fallen" Richlands went from the best coaching staff in the area, to the one season (kinda) Wells experiment, to the Eastside coach with a losing record! I hope it works but always remember you are one hire a way from being an also ran.

I’ve heard from multiple places that Rhodes is a quality person.  And be mindful that not all losing records are created equal.  Going .500 with the talent he’s had at Eastside is not a small accomplishment.

I’m much more concerned long-term when the results of their broken feeder system start to show in a few years.  Will the community be understanding, or will the community demand that it be blown up and to start from scratch?

he's a top notch guy and a good coach.  had a few transfers stayed home at eastside a couple of years ago instead of going to Ridgeview it might have made the difference and got them over the hump in the playoffs to make a deep run.  a few players make a huge difference in a small school and he had gotten more athletes to come out from other sports.  he's a hard worker and will do well if it's his to do.  good luck

Just dug into Eastisdes schedule the last few years. He's played Central 2x Chilhowie 2x Patrick Henry 2x and Union once. Wouldn't judge everything over wins and losses. Seems to run a good program, if he gets it best of luck.

31 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Not sure if it justifies a new topic and specifically considering this job, what is most important to lure or attract a quality head coach?

Money, of course, but outside of that, a quality feeder system and low expectations. You've got a lot more job security at a school that isn't used to winning. Richlands is a tough job to fill because the expectations will be high and it's the worst kept secret in SWVA that the Tornado is about to take a big step back in talent. 

4 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I didn't realize that Tazewell County was that far behind the other local counties. I know we have been largely spoiled due to the Mance and Vaught eras. How long is the talent drop-off expected to last?

Until you get your youth system back to what Mance and Co. built it to being.

6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Until you get your youth system back to what Mance and Co. built it to being.

Which community would be the blueprint for reference? Since I have been away from it for several years, I couldn't say what the issue is, although at the time fall soccer seemed to be attracting more kids away from football.  Are there any fall flag football leagues for those who have been deterred by concussion concerns? It's an interesting topic that I hadn't given much thought, and assumed the problems were everywhere.