Is what I am hearing true?

6 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I said he would be the best fit last year even though he said he was retiring.  He keeps familiarity and trust there.  Don't know how long he stays until he does retire but it makes perfect sense for him to be there and steady the waters.

This. Nothing will kill a football program faster than instability; see John Battle, Fort Chiswell, Lee, Northwood, etc. If they weren't going to pull in a huge splash hire, Tarter is the best man for the job to keep the Richlands program healthy.

On staff for 37 years to my understanding. He was on staff when Dennis Vaught was Head Coach.  He may be the longest coach on staff in Richlands history and that would include guys like Hicks, Mance, etc. Someone would need to check that, but if talking about all coaches in Richlands to include Head Coaches and Assistants, I think Tarter at 37 years would be the record at Richlands. What little I know about Tarter is.....Richlands is about to run the ball down somebody's throat.

49 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Hearing stories that this is a one year deal and Mance is back next year.

Would be "REALLY SURPRISED" if MANCE came back.  He is making 2 times the amount of money he made in Tazewell County, plus VA retirement.  

8 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Would be "REALLY SURPRISED" if MANCE came back.  He is making 2 times the amount of money he made in Tazewell County, plus VA retirement.  

Not saying that Bluefield researcher's source is wrong (I mean, stranger things have certainly happened).  But it would take some pretty complicated maneuvering on Mance's part to return to Virginia under any circumstances.

But I firmly believe two things.  First is that Tarter is an outstanding choice.  Other is that his tenure will probably be relatively brief.  Very similar to dynamic within the program in the early/mid 1990's.  But hopefully a better outcome in the long run.

Loris SC is a very very rough town. The crime rate crime is far worse than the small towns of SWVA. Loris is also about 30 minutes driving time (door to water) from Cherry Grove/Ocean Drive) NMB. It's not like Loris is right on the ocean and there is less to do in Loris than there is Richlands, unless of course, you take the 30 minute trip to the ocean. Loris has several kids that are wannabe gangsters and has far.more problem kids than Richlands. Other than the money, and if 30 minutes is close enough, it would not surprise me if Mance returned. Also, Loris is in the conference of Green Sea and Dillon, and they play S. Columbus, a rival school in Tabor City, NC every year. They are basically going to have 3 losses every season that's almost automatic. Then, there are the other games........no surprise is he came back to SWVA  Mance would have been better off taking an assistant (OC) job at any of the Myrtle Beach/NMB schools which are bigger than Loris, but far, far less stressful in the area of teaching than Loris. You wouldn't believe the crime that stretches from Lumberton NC down through Highway 9 in towns like Tabor City, NC , Chadburn, and Loris, SC

12 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Loris SC is a very very rough town. The crime rate crime is far worse than the small towns of SWVA. Loris is also about 30 minutes driving time (door to water) from Cherry Grove/Ocean Drive) NMB. It's not like Loris is right on the ocean and there is less to do in Loris than there is Richlands, unless of course, you take the 30 minute trip to the ocean. Loris has several kids that are wannabe gangsters and has far.more problem kids than Richlands. Other than the money, and if 30 minutes is close enough, it would not surprise me if Mance returned. Also, Loris is in the conference of Green Sea and Dillon, and they play S. Columbus, a rival school in Tabor City, NC every year. They are basically going to have 3 losses every season that's almost automatic. Then, there are the other games........no surprise is he came back to SWVA  Mance would have been better off taking an assistant (OC) job at any of the Myrtle Beach/NMB schools which are bigger than Loris, but far, far less stressful in the area of teaching than Loris. You wouldn't believe the crime that stretches from Lumberton NC down through Highway 9 in towns like Tabor City, NC , Chadburn, and Loris, SC

You reference the crime rate in Loris, which has admittedly twice the crime rate of Richlands.  Then you suggest he should have taken a job in MB or NMB, which both have double the crime rate of Loris.  I’m not sure I follow this logic.

42 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

You reference the crime rate in Loris, which has admittedly twice the crime rate of Richlands.  Then you suggest he should have taken a job in MB or NMB, which both have double the crime rate of Loris.  I’m not sure I follow this logic.

It's been my experience, people tend to overlook the issues surrounding their favorite tourist destinations.  Dirty Myrtle didn't get that moniker because of the sanitary conditions!

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

It's been my experience, people tend to overlook the issues surrounding their favorite tourist destinations.  Dirty Myrtle didn't get that moniker because of the sanitary conditions!

I’ll still take Dirty Myrtle over 99% of beaches out there. 😂

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

The ocean is the ocean, whether there’s 100 people or 1,000,000 people.  Personally, I’d rather avoid places like Myrtle.

I couldn’t care less about the ocean itself most of the time. I probably spend a grand total or 4 or 5 hours in the ocean during our week stay. I HATE the sun. I go for the things around MB. The restaurants you can’t have here. Taking in the shoes and such. Dolphin tours. Pier fishing. Plus we stay at a hotel with a water park in it. I know people down it all the time, but to me, it’s the perfect place for our family to get away. 

13 hours ago, redtiger said:

You want beach, go to the Eastern Shore. Bay side has calm water, ocean side is stunningly beautiful. But best if all, there's no one over there 

That sounds like a beach my 7yo would hate — and to be fake — so would I. 😂😂

On 6/4/2021 at 7:37 AM, UVAObserver said:

I think I understood the logic yes the crime rate in MB and NMB is very high but it’s not necessarily the people who live there committing the crimes if you go to Loris the crime is almost entirely committed by members of that community. It’s hard to coach in a place where the community is hit so hard with those issues as an outsider I imagine.

1 hour ago, techfan said:

I think I understood the logic yes the crime rate in MB and NMB is very high but it’s not necessarily the people who live there committing the crimes if you go to Loris the crime is almost entirely committed by members of that community. It’s hard to coach in a place where the community is hit so hard with those issues as an outsider I imagine.

I think it’s exactly the opposite.  There’s a strong gang presence in NMB and MB that preys on the non-residents.  Couple that with the drug trafficking, which is propagated by those who reside there, I have to strongly disagree.