Is what I am hearing true?

14 hours ago, redtiger said:

You want beach, go to the Eastern Shore. Bay side has calm water, ocean side is stunningly beautiful. But best if all, there's no one over there 

I love visiting any place where wild ponies outnumber people, such as the Eastern Shore, Grayson Highlands...

21 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’ll still take Dirty Myrtle over 99% of beaches out there. 😂

Not me!  Haven’t been to Myrtle since my 13 year old daughter was a newborn. Have no plans of ever going back. 

We have, however, been to Topsail and Edisto. I could live without Topsail but Edisto is amazing. The whole island is a nature preserve. Walk the beaches with giant sea turtles with roped off areas where the eggs are buried. 

Either way, I don’t have the concern of having everything I own being stolen while my family walks along the beach as happened 13 years ago in Dirty Myrtle. To which, the police response was along the lines of “well, you have insurance. No need for us to be here!”

41 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Not me!  Haven’t been to Myrtle since my 13 year old daughter was a newborn. Have no plans of ever going back. 

We have, however, been to Topsail and Edisto. I could live without Topsail but Edisto is amazing. The whole island is a nature preserve. Walk the beaches with giant sea turtles with roped off areas where the eggs are buried. 

Either way, I don’t have the concern of having everything I own being stolen while my family walks along the beach as happened 13 years ago in Dirty Myrtle. To which, the police response was along the lines of “well, you have insurance. No need for us to be here!”

I hate that happened to you. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

That sounds like a beach my 7yo would hate — and to be fake — so would I. 😂😂

Cape Charles is a great stop, small town with clean beaches and calm water(although it's not as beautiful as others being in the bay). Assateague is incredibly cool but not for kids and swimming. The water is rough, apparently no sand bars to break the waves before they get to shore. Not really for swimming but tons of wildlife there

On 6/4/2021 at 6:37 AM, UVAObserver said:

You reference the crime rate in Loris, which has admittedly twice the crime rate of Richlands.  Then you suggest he should have taken a job in MB or NMB, which both have double the crime rate of Loris.  I’m not sure I follow this logic.

Concentration of Crime.  MB far larger than Loris.   Crime largely centered to small subsection of city, . Loris.....small and dangerous from one city limit to the other.  Loris violent crime rate ranks higher than MB. MB property crime rate is much higher.  As for Loris, a town with about 2800 people and only 4 square miles in land area and a violent crime rate higher than MB, it's actually a scary place to live.  Nowhere to hide.   There really, are no nice neighborhoods in Loris.  In MB or NMB, there are 9 to 1 more nice neighborhoods compared to bad.  10th S to 10th N carries the overwhelming portion of MB crime.  Stay away from those 20 blocks (nicknamed the bad 20 by locals) and MB is not just ok, but very nice and safe.  A school like NMB High or Carolina Forest High , Socastee, or St. James Hgh, have nowhere close to the behavior problem kids (percentage-per capita) as Loris High.  Some of those small towns along the North and South Carolina border can be deadly.  From Loris, to Whiteville, to Tabor City, to Fairmont, Fairbluff, Lumberton, Dillon, Latta are incredibly dangerous.    They have high turnover rates for teachers and have had them for a long time.  The poverty levels, single parent homes, high school graduation rates, and college attendance rates are all less favorable here compared to Myrtle Beach.  One poster mentioned on here that most of the MB crime is not committed by the locals.  Interestingly, much of the Myrtle Beach crime is committed by wannabee gangsters (still very dangerous) that are largely from the communities I listed above.

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

Cape Charles is a great stop, small town with clean beaches and calm water(although it's not as beautiful as others being in the bay). Assateague is incredibly cool but not for kids and swimming. The water is rough, apparently no sand bars to break the waves before they get to shore. Not really for swimming but tons of wildlife there

The 7yo runs the roost and he demands a water park at this point lol. I’m just here to keep the peace and finance his wishes. 😂😂

Loris High School is ranked within the top 20% of all 1,142 schools in South Carolina (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.

Quick Stats (2021)

Grades: 9-12

Students: 856 students

Student:Teacher Ratio: 16:1

Minority Enrollment: 52%

Graduation Rate

: 76% (Btm 50% in SC)

Overall Testing Rank

: Top 20%

Math Proficiency

: 60-64% (Top 30%)

Reading Proficiency

: 70-74% (Top 20%)

Diversity Score

: 0.60 (Top 50%)

1 hour ago, trublue said:

Loris High School is ranked within the top 20% of all 1,142 schools in South Carolina (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.

Quick Stats (2021)

Graduation Rate

Overall Testing Rank

Math Proficiency

Reading Proficiency

Diversity Score

Tazewell County schools  ranked # 10 in the state of Virginia  in reading and math proficiency. (2019 Data). Reading and Math proficiency both > 90%. (High Schools)  93% Graduation rate.  Check it on the VDOE web page. Tazewell High School in particular was 2nd to only George Mason for a school of their size.  Also, Virginia > South Carolina.  I would be willing to bet that Mance will be back after one season with Tarter at the helm.  His work will be cut out for him. Tarter will keep the ship going in the right direction.  

21 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Tazewell County schools  ranked # 10 in the state of Virginia  in reading and math proficiency. (2019 Data).  Tazewell High School in particular was 2nd to only George Mason for a school of their size.  Also, Virginia > South Carolina.  I would be willing to bet that Mance will be back after one season with Tarter at the helm.  His work will be cut out for him. Tarter will keep the ship going in the right direction 

Not impossible I guess but I'll believe it when I see it

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Not impossible I guess but I'll believe it when I see it

I think Richlands would have tried to find somebody that would be there for a longer time then Tarter.   Once Mance's contract with Loris is up, I think he will be back.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, FoxTrot said:

Would be "REALLY SURPRISED" if MANCE came back.  He is making 2 times the amount of money he made in Tazewell County, plus VA retirement.  

He could still come back, work half a day  and get paid plus VA. retirement.  You can't beat the schools in SWVA in termsof the  environment.  Pay may be low and buildings may be crumbling, but our kids are top notch and the working environment is 100 times better.

22 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think Richlands would have tried to find somebody that would be there for a longer time then Tarter.   Once Mance's contract with Loris is up, I think he will be back.

I don't think how much time he will coach means much....they were simply running out of time to hire a coach....he stepped up for their program IMO

As I said I'll believe it when I see it

Not sure why I was quoted re: the Loris post I made.  I posted the stats on Loris because of F.L. Cat's very negative post about Loris.  I've never been to Loris but to portray a whole community in such a negative light was unsettling to me.  Every community has some negative aspects (I live in a large southern metro area, so I know) . I posted the stats  to show overall the Loris community, as a whole, has a pretty good school system and  is doing fairly well considering some disadvantages.  (Was not inferring or alluding anything negative about my home county of Tazewell.) I was merely trying to show that Loris has a positive side also, when we paint  an entire community with a broad negative brush, there are no winners.  As far as if Mance is coming back anytime in the near future, I don't know. I possibly could garner some insider info  but that's not my information to post. 

I'm a Blue Tornado fan first, but I'm also a Loris football fan.  

14 minutes ago, trublue said:

Not sure why I was quoted re: the Loris post I made.  I posted the stats on Loris because of F.L. Cat's very negative post about Loris.  I've never been to Loris but to portray a whole community in such a negative light was unsettling to me.  Every community has some negative aspects (I live in a large southern metro area, so I know) . I posted the stats  to show overall the Loris community, as a whole, has a pretty good school system and  is doing fairly well considering some disadvantages.  (Was not inferring or alluding anything negative about my home county of Tazewell.) I was merely trying to show that Loris has a positive side also, when we paint  an entire community with a broad negative brush, there are no winners.  As far as if Mance is coming back anytime in the near future, I don't know. I possibly could garner some insider info  but that's not my information to post. 

I'm a Blue Tornado fan first, but I'm also a Loris football fan.  

Not trying to be negative about Loris when I quoted you.  Just pointing out what a great school system we have here.  Money may not be good.  But the atmosphere is 2nd to none.  Went off on a tangent, I guess.  

12 hours ago, trublue said:

Quick Stats (2021)

Graduation Rate

Overall Testing Rank

Math Proficiency

Reading Proficiency

Diversity Score

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics!” ~Benjamin Disraeli~

I don’t believe the school aged kids are the issue in Loris. Those that graduate, leave and never come back. It’s what’s left behind that becomes a real problem. Not really that different from a lot of SWVA communities. 

South Carolina ranks 44th in the country in education. Virginia ranks 12th. Comparing the two isn’t an apples to apples comparison. Loris being in the top 30% of a terrible state education system isn’t going to provide any real clarity. 

School Systems have very little to marginal effect on education outcomes. Home environment does. Garbage in = Garbage out. Quality in = Quality out. If your school system has students from quality homes your school system is going to look great. If your school system has kids from homes that don't give a damn about education or students that are more concerned where there next meal is coming from or who their mother is sleeping with that night then your outcomes are going to be poor. A good teacher MIGHT make a difference in one child a year. Maybe. I was a teacher at one time. This is how I know. 

16 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I think if you don't stay in downtown area of MB then you are fine...gets pretty rough in downtown area after the sun goes down

Bingo.  We stay in Surfside.  The only draw to the middle of MB for us is a trip to Dirty Don's.  For River City Cafe I end up at the Surfside or more commonly the Murrells Inlet location (It tends to be the fastest to get a seat at).  Most places I eat at are from Surfside to Murrells Inlet anyway.  

18 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Bingo.  We stay in Surfside.  The only draw to the middle of MB for us is a trip to Dirty Don's.  For River City Cafe I end up at the Surfside or more commonly the Murrells Inlet location (It tends to be the fastest to get a seat at).  Most places I eat at are from Surfside to Murrells Inlet anyway.  

We stay in that area also....never had a problem

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

We’ve stayed at Crown Reef now for 5-6 years and have never had an issue. We love it down there. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We stay in that area also....never had a problem

Surfside is a great compromise if you have kids (or adults) who insist on Myrtle and others who want something more laid back. It's amazing how the atmosphere changes once you're south of Ocean Lakes Campground.  Supper at River City Cafe is mandatory.