Is what I am hearing true?

10 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Surfside is a great compromise if you have kids (or adults) who insist on Myrtle and others who want something more laid back. It's amazing how the atmosphere changes once you're south of Ocean Lakes Campground.  Supper at River City Cafe is mandatory.

We usually go into myrtle when having dinner...but always out before the sun goes down lol

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

You've got fatherhood figured out lol. I can tell you're a great dad.

I know how this goes haha. I was blessed to have a great childhood despite a divorce when I was in kindergarten. I make sure every day to remember that time is precious and you can’t take money with you when you go. I don’t put us in bad situations — but we also like to take our trips and make those memories while we have time. Parenthood truly is the best thing that’s happened to me, and that goes for both my biological son and my stepson. They’re great. 

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Bingo.  We stay in Surfside.  The only draw to the middle of MB for us is a trip to Dirty Don's.  For River City Cafe I end up at the Surfside or more commonly the Murrells Inlet location (It tends to be the fastest to get a seat at).  Most places I eat at are from Surfside to Murrells Inlet anyway.  

We always stay in Surfside/Garden City. I prefer the murrells inlet river city but we normally end up going to the surfside one since it’s easier accessible by golf cart. I do miss the pier there. 

Have you ate at Grilled Cheese & Crab Cake Company? It’s our favorite place by far. Sam’s corner in garden city is a place I always end up too. Most of the time I regret it but I’m a sucker for a nostalgic place. 

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Bingo.  We stay in Surfside.  The only draw to the middle of MB for us is a trip to Dirty Don's.  For River City Cafe I end up at the Surfside or more commonly the Murrells Inlet location (It tends to be the fastest to get a seat at).  Most places I eat at are from Surfside to Murrells Inlet anyway.  

We always stay in Surfside/Garden City. I prefer the murrells inlet river city but we normally end up going to the surfside one since it’s easier accessible by golf cart. I do miss the pier there. 

Have you ate at Grilled Cheese & Crab Cake Company? It’s our favorite place by far. Sam’s corner in garden city is a place I always end up too. Most of the time I regret it but I’m a sucker for a nostalgic place. 

On 6/5/2021 at 12:28 PM, sixcat said:

Not me!  Haven’t been to Myrtle since my 13 year old daughter was a newborn. Have no plans of ever going back. 

We have, however, been to Topsail and Edisto. I could live without Topsail but Edisto is amazing. The whole island is a nature preserve. Walk the beaches with giant sea turtles with roped off areas where the eggs are buried. 

Either way, I don’t have the concern of having everything I own being stolen while my family walks along the beach as happened 13 years ago in Dirty Myrtle. To which, the police response was along the lines of “well, you have insurance. No need for us to be here!”

Where was it stolen from?  Hotel or vehicle?  Which hotel??

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I quit staying in Myrtle Proper years ago.  Stayed in the Arcadian Shores area a few times, but still Myrtle Beach.  It was fairly nice.  Stayed in Windy Hill section of North Myrtle a few times, also fairly nice and quiet.  Stayed in Cherry Grove some, a little busier than the previously mentioned locations but still fairly nice.  Have finally moved up to Sunset Beach on the NC side.  Very nice, very quiet and hardly any crime to speak of on the island.

4 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I've been looking for VRBO near the confluence of Mudlick and the Clinch.

I spent the first five years of my life as a resident of Doran Bottom (corner of Kirby Road and what is now Mill Ave).  I might have some influence with current owner.

I mean, it's not waterfront.  But still within reasonable walking distance if you cut through the old horse pasture.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

I quit staying in Myrtle Proper years ago.  Stayed in the Arcadian Shores area a few times, but still Myrtle Beach.  It was fairly nice.  Stayed in Windy Hill section of North Myrtle a few times, also fairly nice and quiet.  Stayed in Cherry Grove some, a little busier than the previously mentioned locations but still fairly nice.  Have finally moved up to Sunset Beach on the NC side.  Very nice, very quiet and hardly any crime to speak of on the island.

We're pretty partial to Holden Beach.  Been going there regularly for the last 10 years.  Currently counting the days until our next weeklong stay, and we are very seriously considering investing in property there for the long haul.

6 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I spent the first five years of my life as a resident of Doran Bottom (corner of Kirby Road and what is now Mill Ave).  I might have some influence with current owner.

I mean, it's not waterfront.  But still within reasonable walking distance if you cut through the old horse pasture.

My mom lives right off there on Gulf Ave. What a coincidence. 😂

11 hours ago, GMan said:

Where was it stolen from?  Hotel or vehicle?  Which hotel??

It was our first experience pulling a camper.  We were at Ocean Lakes.  When we got back, everything was gone except the camper.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

It was our first experience pulling a camper.  We were at Ocean Lakes.  When we got back, everything was gone except the camper.

Always a few beach front pirates it seems like when camping.  Thankfully a fishing pull cart is the only thing we have had taken over the years.  

We are Pirateland folks though. 

15 hours ago, EH31 said:

I have not ate there but have heard good things.  Now that the inlaws have a place down there the misses is more open to trying different places so I need to add that to the list of places to try. 

Ive not been to Sams for a long time but understand why you say that about the place.  

Hopefully the Surfside Pier will be rebuilt soon.  We often hit the Surfside location as our last meal before we leave since it is closer and typically not as busy for lunch.  I do enjoy sitting outside there overlooking the beach but if its for supper MI is the go to because we know Surfside will be swamped. 

The pizza joint (cant think of the name offhand) beside the Neighborhood Market Walmart next to 544 is pretty good.  The owners are from WV so they do offer pepperoni rolls also.  Lots of HS jerseys from WV hung up in there.  They may have a travel softball organization shirt I am partial to there now also.  

Gregs Cabana Bar and Grill isnt bad either in Garden City if you like  a little dive place with good specials certain days of the week. Pretty solid burger and ribs.  Stay away from the fish though.

33 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Always a few beach front pirates it seems like when camping.  Thankfully a fishing pull cart is the only thing we have had taken over the years.  

We are Pirateland folks though. 

We continued to "camp" three or four times a year for another 6 years without issue.  We didn't go anywhere more than a couple hours from home though.  We sold the camper in 2014 and haven't given it a second thought.  Given the ages of my kids at that time, the process of packing, loading, pulling, set-up, breakdown and return was more labor intensive than a vacation should be.  Just not something I ever got enjoyment out of.

I prefer AirBnB near quality golf courses!

8 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

The In Laws hit that mark of where they got tired of setup/breakdown to leave so they purchased a villa in Pirateland.  It was very handy last year  as I probably took 7 beach trips.

That's my ultimate goal.  To own a vacation home/condo/villa somewhere warmer for winter golf.  Or just relocate to coastal Oregon after my kids go to college!

On 6/6/2021 at 8:42 PM, RichlandsAlum said:

We're pretty partial to Holden Beach.  Been going there regularly for the last 10 years.  Currently counting the days until our next weeklong stay, and we are very seriously considering investing in property there for the long haul.

At Holden Beach right now!  In laws own a place on the island.  Been coming here almost 25 years.  Love it as a family destination.   Close enough to get to Myrtle...without having to be at Myrtle!

11 hours ago, Retiredcoachq said:

At Holden Beach right now!  In laws own a place on the island.  Been coming here almost 25 years.  Love it as a family destination.   Close enough to get to Myrtle...without having to be at Myrtle!

Very true about Myrtle and its attractions.  We enjoy the proximity to Wilmington and Southport as well.  As part of our annual trip this time around we intend to speak with a realtor about the possibility of finding a place of our own within the next few years.

Honestly I was hesitant to even mention Holden Beach and draw attention to it.  IMO a big part of its charm the fact that it hasn't been "overdeveloped" the way some other areas have been.  But since there isn't an abundance of open land available for building, I figure I'm in the clear there.

I read on Facebook where a family was riding around on a golf cart in Cherry Grove and a car came by them and started egging them. They also had a 5 month old baby on board. When witnesses tried to chase the car down, they allegedly pulled an AR-15 on them. I'll stick to Surfside for now. 

Speaking of Surfside, swing by Bubba's Fish Shack and try the blackened Mahi. You're welcome in advance.

23 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

I read on Facebook where a family was riding around on a golf cart in Cherry Grove and a car came by them and started egging them. They also had a 5 month old baby on board. When witnesses tried to chase the car down, they allegedly pulled an AR-15 on them. I'll stick to Surfside for now. 

Speaking of Surfside, swing by Bubba's Fish Shack and try the blackened Mahi. You're welcome in advance.

Bubba’s is good. The Conch Cafe is the other one I was missing 

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

We live in MB (Carolina Forest area). Saw that story on the news last night but there was no mention of the AR-15. 

Bubbas sure hit the spot last year with their take out opportunities.  Sara Js as well.  Sitting along the MarshWalk at Creek Ratz or other restaurants is hard to beat.  Lee's Inlet Kitchen does solid work on homemade onion rings.

6 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Wasn’t a fan of the Dead Dog Saloon. I’m not sure what I was expecting when eating there but I did not expect a bunch of pictures of dead dogs on the walls. 

It's kinda in the name isn't it lol

But yeah kinda weird