Holston job

Jags52

Since Patterson took the VA high job that leave another opening in the area. Has anyone heard anything about who is in the running?

IMO Holston in another on of those jobs that is great for a new head coach, not much pressure to win, pretty good community support, and Demascus is nice little place to live if you don’t need a whole lot of stuff.

Chris Akers (lol) does still live I think in Bristol and drives to Fort everyday, cuts the drive in half....not saying Holston is the same as Fort but with the way coaches are shuffling around it wouldn’t surprise me.

• 2 weeks later...

I said it on June 3rd, just made sense to me...now what does Fort do, Akers out and probably top assistant left for Grayson Co. Has Jack Turner written  all over it, family still in the pulaski area.

16 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

I said it on June 3rd, just made sense to me...now what does Fort do, Akers out and probably top assistant left for Grayson Co. Has Jack Turner written  all over it, family still in the pulaski area.

Surely Fort learned from the Tom Hale debacle? They have had a terrible run with coaches over the past 8 years. Turner would be pouring gas on an already raging dumpster fire.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Surely Fort learned from the Tom Hale debacle? They have had a terrible run with coaches over the past 8 years. Turner would be pouring gas on an already raging dumpster fire.

Fort is a baseball basketball school. It’s one thing to be number 2 at a school but when football is 3 it’s tough to attract a good coach much less keep one

29 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Fort is a baseball basketball school. It’s one thing to be number 2 at a school but when football is 3 it’s tough to attract a good coach much less keep one

I think you underestimate the football talent Fort can produce. With they right leadership, they are a sleeping giant. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I think you underestimate the football talent Fort can produce. With they right leadership, they are a sleeping giant. 

I didn’t mean to come off that way they have always had dudes the athletes are there for sure but have to work with less but I’m not talking about the kids 

13 hours ago, sixcat said:

Stepping stone school for coaches...

9 hours ago, GMan said:

Didn't your last coach move on to bigger and better things???  Maybe it still is...😁

Bigger, yes.  Better, the jury is still out! 

Kids and community have to buy-in to his program.  From what I hear, he's been frustrated with that aspect since the move.

So I guess the question is which head coach is going to change jobs here because it looks like schools are only hiring current head coaches which has started a hell of a domino effect.

Or will Fort throw an interim tag on one of the guys already there. IMO with 31 days until the first day of practice you have to go from with in. It would be a hard ask to get someone new in there and little time to prepare.

41 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

So I guess the question is which head coach is going to change jobs here because it looks like schools are only hiring current head coaches which has started a hell of a domino effect.

Or will Fort throw an interim tag on one of the guys already there. IMO with 31 days until the first day of practice you have to go from with in. It would be a hard ask to get someone new in there and little time to prepare.

It's my understanding, the long-time assistant that served as interim head coach following Tiller's departure has joined Stephen James' coaching staff at Grayson County. 

Cam Akers resigned at Auburn last week to join Mark Dixon's staff at Pulaski. Crazy how things play out. Brandon Harner at George Wythe is now the longest serving head coach in the MED followed by Shane Allen at Galax.

Fort Chiswell's problem is not intuitive. Meaning, FC is one of the very few schools in SWVA that is located NOT in the middle of nowhere. This makes it weird. It's located at the junction of two interstates with easy access to a straight shot down to Charlotte, or North/Northeast on 81 towards DC, and the rest of VA etc. It's actually unique in that it is kind of "Not in the Middle of Nowhere," like the overwhelming majority of SWVA schools. "Middle of nowhere* meaning not near the interstate or a good ways from the interstate, highly traveled roads.  Middle of nowhere is by no means a bad thing either.

I've always been perplexed by coaches leaving FC. I think it's a great area because of its ease of access, and the New River isn't far, Clayton Lake is close, hunting in abundantly close, Blacksburg/VT, less than 2.5 to Charlotte. I just don't get it. Very weird. I have been surprised at why FC can't hold onto a coach. I would think it would be more stable that the majority of SWVA schools regarding turnover. 

3 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Fort Chiswell's problem is not intuitive. Meaning, FC is one of the very few schools in SWVA that is located NOT in the middle of nowhere. This makes it weird. It's located at the junction of two interstates with easy access to a straight shot down to Charlotte, or North/Northeast on 81 towards DC, and the rest of VA etc. It's actually unique in that it is kind of "Not in the Middle of Nowhere," like the overwhelming majority of SWVA schools. "Middle of nowhere* meaning not near the interstate or a good ways from the interstate, highly traveled roads.  Middle of nowhere is by no means a bad thing either.

I've always been perplexed by coaches leaving FC. I think it's a great area because of its ease of access, and the New River isn't far, Clayton Lake is close, hunting in abundantly close, Blacksburg/VT, less than 2.5 to Charlotte. I just don't get it. Very weird. I have been surprised at why FC can't hold onto a coach. I would think it would be more stable that the majority of SWVA schools regarding turnover. 

Yet George Wythe seems to do just fine...

20 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Yet George Wythe seems to do just fine...

Have you been to Wytheville lately? My wife and I went to a concert on Main Street last night. Beautiful town. Neat, clean, well manicured. Much more-so than most towns in SWVA, in my opinion.

They should be very proud of the community they have built and maintained. 

23 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I grew up on Brush Creek, about halfway between Fries and Fort Chiswell along Route 94. Although I lived in Grayson County, most of the neighboring kids would be divided equally between Fort Chiswell and Carroll County High Schools when Fries shuttered in 1988.

Having grown up with many people from the Fort Chiswell area, I can safely say, it’s a very insular community. You’re either one of them, or you’re not!

That can be very hard to overcome as an outsider trying to coach the local kids. Some have found a way to become part of the community like Stephen James. But most never do.  

That’s my perspective having grown up on the fringes of that community. 

41 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I grew up on Brush Creek, about halfway between Fries and Fort Chiswell along Route 94. Although I lived in Grayson County, most of the neighboring kids would be divided equally between Fort Chiswell and Carroll County High Schools when Fries shuttered in 1988.

Having grown up with many people from the Fort Chiswell area, I can safely say, it’s a very insular community. You’re either one of them, or you’re not!

That can be very hard to overcome as an outsider trying to coach the local kids. Some have found a way to become part of the community like Stephen James. But most never do.  

That’s my perspective having grown up on the fringes of that community. 

I had the opportunity to watch a game sitting on the FC home side a couple years ago. There's not a doubt in my mind after watching that game that an "outsider" would have a tough time there. Very tough crowd to please.