Holston job

Jags52

Auburn has hired someone just not sure when it’s supposed to be announced….should be any day….the hire from what I was told is someone from outside the state.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:26 PM, 44cov3 said:

Auburn has hired someone just not sure when it’s supposed to be announced….should be any day….the hire from what I was told is someone from outside the state.

Auburn High School has hired David Seabaugh as their new head football coach. He is from Mississippi and played at Mississippi St. He has coached at Litchfield High School, Starkville, and Kemper Co.He played three sports in his high school days at Litchfield.

source

https://rodneysportsnow.com/2021/07/

14 minutes ago, swva_fan said:

Auburn High School has hired David Seabaugh as their new head football coach. He is from Mississippi and played at Mississippi St. He has coached at Litchfield High School, Starkville, and Kemper Co.He played three sports in his high school days at Litchfield.

source

https://rodneysportsnow.com/2021/07/

Dam, he's a young'un!  Just graduated from college in 2020. 

16 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Saw on Twitter that FC hired Robert “Spider” Thompson. Anyone know who that is? 

He coached in North Carolina from 1985 until around 2018. He coached North Iredell for over 20 years and West Iredell for a decade. He has been the DB's coach at Emory & Henry for the past couple of seasons.

He's a very good football coach. Very "old-school" which may not sit well with the mama's in Wythe County. Given his age, this can't be a long-term hire.

13 hours ago, Single A west said:

He also was head coach at Fort Chiswell for 4 years 1999-2002.

I didn't remember that. I wasn't living around here at that time so it makes sense I wouldn't. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 8:40 AM, sixcat said:

I grew up on Brush Creek, about halfway between Fries and Fort Chiswell along Route 94. Although I lived in Grayson County, most of the neighboring kids would be divided equally between Fort Chiswell and Carroll County High Schools when Fries shuttered in 1988.

Having grown up with many people from the Fort Chiswell area, I can safely say, it’s a very insular community. You’re either one of them, or you’re not!

That can be very hard to overcome as an outsider trying to coach the local kids. Some have found a way to become part of the community like Stephen James. But most never do.  

That’s my perspective having grown up on the fringes of that community. 

Try staying a Marion fan. All the bs in that lil town now along with ppl leaving. It's a shell of itself.. I moved on down the road and Washington co VA and Bristol is like another completely different part of the state. Marion just won't adapt and it's showing

On 8/3/2021 at 3:53 AM, vols4life said:

Try staying a Marion fan. All the bs in that lil town now along with ppl leaving. It's a shell of itself.. I moved on down the road and Washington co VA and Bristol is like another completely different part of the state. Marion just won't adapt and it's showing

I dont know anything about this.....but I do know MSHS has close to 50 players out for football.  Can you elaborate a little more on the differences?   

1 hour ago, robtom said:

I dont know anything about this.....but I do know MSHS has close to 50 players out for football.  Can you elaborate a little more on the differences?   

I think he's referring to the town/county itself rather than the football program. Smyth County saw it's manufacturing base slowly crumble from the closing of Olin in Saltville in the mid-70s, through the introduction of NAFTA in the 90s. The powers that be did little to nothing to stop it, and as a result, Washington and Wythe Counties picked up the pieces. While Marion is certainly a nicer place to be than when it hit rock bottom 20 years ago, having a more exciting night life hasn't given people a reason to stay when there's very little opportunity for unskilled laborers, and it's reflected in Marion and Northwood's enrollments that are less than half of what it once was.

I know that most of SWVA can relate to that, but it's incredibly frustrating looking at how much better your neighbors handled things when their backs were to the wall.

1 hour ago, Plywood_King said:

I think he's referring to the town/county itself rather than the football program. Smyth County saw it's manufacturing base slowly crumble from the closing of Olin in Saltville in the mid-70s, through the introduction of NAFTA in the 90s. The powers that be did little to nothing to stop it, and as a result, Washington and Wythe Counties picked up the pieces. While Marion is certainly a nicer place to be than when it hit rock bottom 20 years ago, having a more exciting night life hasn't given people a reason to stay when there's very little opportunity for unskilled laborers, and it's reflected in Marion and Northwood's enrollments that are less than half of what it once was.

I know that most of SWVA can relate to that, but it's incredibly frustrating looking at how much better your neighbors handled things when their backs were to the wall.

Understood

4 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

I’m not originally from this area so I can’t speak as to what things use to be like but if you live in Marion and you are not a teacher or nurse there isn’t a whole lot as far as jobs are concerned. If you are a teacher they don’t give you many reasons to stay because of the low pay compared to neighboring counties. I’ve heard the stories of 1000 kids walking the hall ways and 100 member bands on Friday night and that is not close to what I have seen. Marion does have the highest numbers they have had in the last decade so that is atleast something to be proud of

On 8/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, Plywood_King said:

That's putting it nicely😁..