2021 football season is almost here.

Real Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I feel like you’re taking it a little far now. Comparing politics and beaches is like apples and Mustangs. Politics work to divide us. I’ve never seen a beach divide anyone. We all like different beaches, but no one is going to think less of others based on their beach preferences. The same can’t be said about politics. 

But you’re right. This is about football — so I will stop posting about beaches and food. 

Well you're def wrong, beaches suck and I will die on that hill moreso than any of my political opinions lolol

I think Graham and Central would be the respective faves in each district but Union doesn't lose much and won the region. 

Okay guys, seems like everyone is taking it all wrong, but I humble myself before everyone and do apologize for any post I've ever made on this board in reference to anything, other than football, I don't have hurt feelings, frankly I don't give squat about my feelings, and yes I posted something I shouldn't have, so as I said I humbly apologize, and hope we can all move on and get back to football.

In respect to football, does anyone know when or where Richlands will be doing 7 on 7's?

On 6/10/2021 at 9:16 AM, SW_VA_boy said:

Say what you want, at least Virginia actually had championship games though.  

WV had championship games...just turned out it was the Semifinal games in football...

Graham will be the king of the southwest until someone beats them. They still have talent out the ass if they keep developing then they will be a handful.

Richlands still has Webb and Cox as long as Coach Tarter feeds that connection they will be in just about every game

Tazewell lost a ton including 4 lineman up front and there problem in the past has been all the speed in the world but sloppy line play so we will see if they can develop the young guys

VA high has a new coach (who is a great hire IMO) and probably the best running back in the southwest could make some noise 

Marion played a lot of freshman and sophomores the past 2 years those kids have taking their licks for the past few years. Maybe that has made them tough and they are ready to take the next step. They graduated 9 guys that played every game but only 1 of those played both sides so that 10 spots in stead of 18. Should be interesting to watch

4 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Graham will be the king of the southwest until someone beats them. They still have talent out the ass if they keep developing then they will be a handful.

Richlands still has Webb and Cox as long as Coach Tarter feeds that connection they will be in just about every game

Tazewell lost a ton including 4 lineman up front and there problem in the past has been all the speed in the world but sloppy line play so we will see if they can develop the young guys

VA high has a new coach (who is a great hire IMO) and probably the best running back in the southwest could make some noise 

Marion played a lot of freshman and sophomores the past 2 years those kids have taking their licks for the past few years. Maybe that has made them tough and they are ready to take the next step. They graduated 9 guys that played every game but only 1 of those played both sides so that 10 spots in stead of 18. Should be interesting to watch

When was  last time someone other than Graham won SWD?

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

When was  last time someone other than Graham won SWD?

The better question is when was the last time either Richlands or Graham **didn’t** win the district? 
Maybe Abingdon in like 2013? Outside of that, I think RHS & GHS have won them all since Grundy in the late 90s. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

The better question is when was the last time either Richlands or Graham **didn’t** win the district? 
Maybe Abingdon in like 2013? Outside of that, I think RHS & GHS have won them all since Grundy in the late 90s. 

Who has won the most? Is that a stat that Bluefield researcher or anyone else has?

I would guess with GC in the 70s, Tazewell in the 80s, and Richlands/Graham having the most since 1990 the following order:

1. Graham 2. Richlands 3. Tazewell 4. Grundy.  

Edited by tornado99
Additional comment

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

So seems like no other team besides Richlands or Graham has won the SWD under the current alignment. If you count Abingdon, I believe four different teams have won the M7 since its inception. Maybe five. 

Graham is the only team that has won it since latest realignment. Abingdon won it in 2014, but otherwise Richlands and Graham have been the only two teams to win it since the Highlands District broke up.

1 hour ago, Plywood_King said:

Graham is the only team that has won it since latest realignment. Abingdon won it in 2014, but otherwise Richlands and Graham have been the only two teams to win it since the Highlands District broke up.

That's crazy. I knew they were top heavy but had no idea it had been that long since another team broke thru (Grundy in 2000 as someone posted). 

In the M7, I'm pretty sure a different team has won it every year last four years. 2017 was Union, 2018 was Abingdon, 2019 was a split involving Ridgeview and Union and 2020 was Wise. I could be wrong tho

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

There was a 3-way tie between Abingdon, Richlands, and Graham in 2016.  All went 1-1 against the others.

I’ve done some armchair research, and I think the correct answer is 2000 Grundy.

Grundy: 9-1 (3-1)

Graham: 5-6 (3-1...lost to Grundy)

Carroll County: 7-3 (2-2)

Tazewell: 6-5 (1-3)

Richlands: 5-5 (1-3...oddly, won against Grundy)

What a weird season.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, Ryan4VT said:

I feel like you’re taking it a little far now. Comparing politics and beaches is like apples and Mustangs. Politics work to divide us. I’ve never seen a beach divide anyone. We all like different beaches, but no one is going to think less of others based on their beach preferences. The same can’t be said about politics. 

But you’re right. This is about football — so I will stop posting about beaches and food. 

But can we talk about playing football on the beach while eating

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

There was a 3-way tie between Abingdon, Richlands, and Graham in 2016.  All went 1-1 against the others.

I’ve done some armchair research, and I think the correct answer is 2000 Grundy.

What a weird season.

Abingdon won outright in 2014. They went 8-2 with their only losses coming from Gate City and Marion, both of which were out of district.

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

What a weird season.

Despite Grundy having some really good teams in the late 90's and early 00's, Richlands has had their number winning the last 17, including the one mentioned above.

It's like the Golden Wave sold their golden soul (and clock keeping abilities 😉) to get that 1995 playoff victory...

7 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Despite Grundy having some really good teams in the late 90's and early 00's, Richlands has had their number winning the last 17, including the one mentioned above.

It's like the Golden Wave sold their golden soul (and clock keeping abilities 😉) to get that 1995 playoff victory...

You could take the 72 Dolphins and put them in Grundy uniforms and they would loose to Richlands. 

51 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Is Tazewell the only SWD team participating in a 7 on 7 at this point? 

Richlands just finished up baseball last Monday so I’m sure they just got back to football. Lebanon is gonna be playing til next week (not that it matters anymore) Tazewell was also didn’t finished til Monday but idk how many of those guys played football. VA is has a new coach and finished baseball on Wednesday and track yesterday. Marion is just in the weight room right now. Graham should have had plenty of time to gear up for 7 on 7 I don’t think Tony let’s those guys play baseball