Only 2 more months

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Given that 8 of 11 teams in Region 2D will make the playoffs, at least getting to the 8-seed is not impossible if Lee can notch 3 wins.  At least two of Virginia High, Marion, Lee, Battle, and Gate City are going to qualify for the playoffs.  

I have seen 1A teams make it with 3-7 records. Appalachia made it at 3-7 in 1998.

That was when district champs got priority seeding. Rye Cove, as the only Region D Division 1 football team to win their District Regular Season Title, was first seed. They were 9-1, so likely would have been 1st seed even if they didn’t win the Cumberland District as the rest were Burton (5-5), Twin Springs (4-6), and Appalachia (3-7). 

Rye Cove was one and done, losing to Appalachia 35-18. Rye Cove had a very weak schedule. Appalachia, while VERY WEAK, did have a bit of a tough schedule. They had Powell Valley (98 PV team, enough said), a pretty tough and stout Lee team who played PV closest that season out of anybody and still lost, a young but very good Clintwood team who lost only to PV (49-20 reg season, 27-14 playoffs), a Sullivan North team who went 8-2 and lost first round, Lebanon who won the Highlands.

15 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Given that 8 of 11 teams in Region 2D will make the playoffs, at least getting to the 8-seed is not impossible if Lee can notch 3 wins.  At least two of Virginia High, Marion, Lee, Battle, and Gate City are going to qualify for the playoffs.  

Getting to the playoff has become easier in this new format with 8 out of the 11 (73%) making the play off. Part of me wishes football was set us like baseball, basketball, and all the other sports where the top 4 in each district made its then cross bracket that would lessen the chances of a repeat game for the 1st round. For example lets say Graham is the one seed and Marion get locked into the 8 seed before the last game. Then those teams would play each other on back to back weeks which would probably be very boring to the Graham faithful and demoralizing for Marion

14 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

I have seen 1A teams make it with 3-7 records. Appalachia made it at 3-7 in 1998.

That was when district champs got priority seeding. Rye Cove, as the only Region D Division 1 football team to win their District Regular Season Title, was first seed. They were 9-1, so likely would have been 1st seed even if they didn’t win the Cumberland District as the rest were Burton (5-5), Twin Springs (4-6), and Appalachia (3-7). 

Rye Cove was one and done, losing to Appalachia 35-18. Rye Cove had a very weak schedule. Appalachia, while VERY WEAK, did have a bit of a tough schedule. They had Powell Valley (98 PV team, enough said), a pretty tough and stout Lee team who played PV closest that season out of anybody and still lost, a young but very good Clintwood team who lost only to PV (49-20 reg season, 27-14 playoffs), a Sullivan North team who went 8-2 and lost first round, Lebanon who won the Highlands.

That was actually a good record for Appy that season they lost alot of starters from the class that won 3 state titles.  The 97 team was the last great Appy team

On 7/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, sixcat said:

It's been proven time and time again (Galax, Tazewell, Holston, PH, Chilhowie) that a quality head coach can reverse player disinterest pretty quickly.

Equally so, a bad hire can foster player disinterest very quickly (Fort Chiswell, Carroll, Giles).

Wouldn't add Giles to that bunch.  Williams isn't and never had been the issue at Giles, at least from the outside.   Now an assistant or two, namely the one that's the AD now, then yeah, that applies.  I'm sure Hokiebird can add a lot more to this than my simple opinion based on observation and handful of friends.

9 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Wouldn't add Giles to that bunch.  Williams isn't and never had been the issue at Giles, at least from the outside.   Now an assistant or two, namely the one that's the AD now, then yeah, that applies.  I'm sure Hokiebird can add a lot more to this than my simple opinion based on observation and handful of friends.

Correct....Williams is not the problem at all...hell the man has a state title and I believe the first team to ever go 15-0 after new system was put into place

Also correct on the AD/coach lol...ran off numerous players and the kids lost interest in football...some would really help

Anyone interested in an AD or coach please come poach him from Giles lol