Who will be the top dogs in 1d this year?

Football423276434

First post here. A lil bout me; New to this board went to school at pound, currently live in Johnson City sons will hopefully playing for SH in a few years. Just seeing how this years single a teams will be locally? Holston was a big shocker for me last year. What happened to Glade spring and Chillhowee? Where will Norton be at this year? Read a lot of praise about the Eastside Coach Rhodes will they be returning much? Look forward to talking with everybody!!! 

Chilhowie had a once in a generation group of kids a few years ago. They were expected to fall back into what's traditionally normal for them. Not a real surprise to see them regress toward the mean. PH Glade Spring lost their head coach to a school in West Virginia and have seen a bit of a decline as a result. Holston lost an up-and-coming head coach to Virginia High following this season. I'm not sure how they will respond under a coach that hasn't been overly successful anywhere he's been.

That's about all I can speak to intelligently as I don't have a lot of insight into Burton, Honaker, Eastside, etc. 

As long as Riverheads is in this class, nothing or anything matters! The west is not even competitive in Single A. 

I think there are a lot of unknowns in general in 1A.  Each team had some key losses in personnel, but I think Burton may be at the top. Grundy returns Scammell who will be tough to stop and adds a very strong freshman who has transferred in.

I just read Lebanon Pioneers are joining the hogo. Being down from 2A does that make them favorites over Marion, PAtrick Henry Chilhowee Holston for region d and the hogo? Did holston chilhowee and Patrick Henry graduate a lot last season? 

18 minutes ago, Football423276434 said:

I just read Lebanon Pioneers are joining the hogo. Being down from 2A does that make them favorites over Marion, PAtrick Henry Chilhowee Holston for region d and the hogo? Did holston chilhowee and Patrick Henry graduate a lot last season? 

Marion's not in the Hogo anymore. They should be in the thick of things in the district, but the Hogo has been a crap shoot for the last couple of years and will continue to be this year. Lebanon has the fewest question marks of any Hogo team, so at least they have that going for them.

50 minutes ago, Football423276434 said:

Where did Marion move to? I’d assume The district with George Wythe and Galax

Marion is in the Southwest District with Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, and Virginia. 

lebanon going be tougher then think. They was going in right direction last season. They moved the ball well against teams They shouldn't. Not saying that bad thing. When other teams are loaded. They will do good. If lebanon can get by george wythe and galax. 

14 hours ago, Football423276434 said:

Virginia playoffs are going back to more than 4 teams right? That was just for the shortened season if I’m thinking correctly 

Hard to perdict what VHSL will conclude on the playoffs especially with this covid variant seeming to pick up speed.  Heck, I'm just hoping to see the regular season be in full slate this year.  Seems like forever since we actually got to attend a Friday night football game.  Looking forward to live football!!

I would say Lebanon should run the hogo. They had a very competitive group last year that could run the ball a shorten the game. Chilhowie still has the Gilly kid that can score from anywhere and I think the Martin kid that played QB was only a junior. Out side of the Chilhowie has an automatic kicker but that’s it. We will know how good Chilhowie is after they benefit Tazewell. Holston graduated everyone and I havnt heard much from PH. One team that hasn’t been mentioned is Grayson. They have a new coach who has a pretty good track record and they have always been a very tough out. I wonder if James will stick to the split back veer or change it up  

• 1 month later...

I could see Lebanon finishing anywhere between 5-5 to 7-3 realistically. I think they are a year or so away from being region contender. Their current JV group has some talent moving up especially at skill positions. They also have some speed returning this year. I think they will be a fun team to watch. Numbers wise they are continuing to build. I think they had around 40 on the team this year. A couple of years ago they had maybe 27. They are going to be a tough out for years to come in the Hogo, and are definitely a team on the rise if things continue to progress. 

I did hear that Lebanon looked good in their scrimmage against John Battle. We will see how they fair in their benefit game at Central. Central definitely is the easy favorite on that one. The Pioneers just need to show they can play well.