2D Predictions

Gfan

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Food for thought........Union and Central (and probably some other teams) have pulled their starters after the first half in their benefit game and first games of the season. How will this affect them moving forward?  It helps to keep from getting starters injured, but there will soon come a game where they have to play the entire game, will they be prepared to play a full game?

43 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Food for thought........Union and Central (and probably some other teams) have pulled their starters after the first half in their benefit game and first games of the season. How will this affect them moving forward?  It helps to keep from getting starters injured, but there will soon come a game where they have to play the entire game, will they be prepared to play a full game?

Keeping bodies rested when you can is a big thing. It also allows other players game experience and adds depth. I see it as nothing but a positive headed into stiffer competition and playing full games. 

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Unions first team has barely played any offense in the Lee and Eastside game.  Special teams and defensive Tds and about 6-7  one play drives.  Should get plenty of play this week though

I think Richlands is going to play right with Union and that's no disrespect to the Bears who I think can and will play with Appo this year. But I'm not sold on the idea that the Blues are the 5th best team in 2D. I think Richlands has its best team in many years. 

I think this one is decided by 7 points either way. Richlands from 4 on D is stout. I look for Union to come up big in the passing game. The Bears have a passing game compared to what they have had in the air in the past many years. The Bears QB seems accurate and he has guys on the outside that can run by the defenders with speed. 

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I think Richlands is going to play right with Union and that's no disrespect to the Bears who I think can and will play with Appo this year. But I'm not sold on the idea that the Blues are the 5th best team in 2D. I think Richlands has its best team in many years. 

I think this one is decided by 7 points either way. Richlands from 4 on D is stout. I look for Union to come up big in the passing game. The Bears have a passing game compared to what they have had in the air in the past many years. The Bears QB seems accurate and he has guys on the outside that can run by the defenders with speed. 

How many times has Union thrown the ball in the first two scrimmages and Lee game?  Bunch is more than capable, but they will keep the ball on the ground 95% of the time.

33 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

How many times has Union thrown the ball in the first two scrimmages and Lee game?  Bunch is more than capable, but they will keep the ball on the ground 95% of the time.

The best have thrown it very little and they will continue to throw it very little.    But, when they have thrown it, it's been a success.   What I'm getting at is, Union is going to catch people cheating up in the box to stop their run all year long because they are so effective at it, but this year, I bet those rare throws that they make have a much higher completion percentage than years past.  Union is so solid that cheating up in the box isn't going to matter for most schools cause they can still run it, but there will be some times against teams like Graham and Abingdon and maybe Richlands, where they have a few 3rd and longs and have to make a decision to run or pass.  I think on the rare occasions they do choose pass, this year offers them a better chance at success than going back many years.  Because....the QB is actually accurate.  The WR's are not slow and take forever to run a route, they are athletic and can run by the defender.  

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Might be the strongest top 6 teams we've had in this area in awhile and you can add Abingdon also.

And the top 6 are so strong that I'm not sure Gate City and/or Tazewell at numbers 7/8 are all that bad.  There are 6 good teams and the other two are probably mediocre compared to bad. That's a strong region. Assuming those 8 make the playoffs, I don't think there is one single "bad" team in it compared to the other three regions top 8.

35 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

And the top 6 are so strong that I'm not sure Gate City and/or Tazewell at numbers 7/8 are all that bad.  There are 6 good teams and the other two are probably mediocre compared to bad. That's a strong region. Assuming those 8 make the playoffs, I don't think there is one single "bad" team in it compared to the other three regions top 8.

Don't know anything about tazewell but Gate City will get better as the season goes.  Played Richland's tough but made alot of mistakes at least while I was listening

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Don't know anything about tazewell but Gate City will get better as the season goes.  Played Richland's tough but made alot of mistakes at least while I was listening

They just need Jenkins to stay healthy. Without him, it’ll be a long season. But he is fast. And not every team will have a Webb that can keep up with him. I could see GC winning 4ish games. But all they really need to do is best Battle & Lee and they’re in. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

They just need Jenkins to stay healthy. Without him, it’ll be a long season. But he is fast. And not every team will have a Webb that can keep up with him. I could see GC winning 4ish games. But all they really need to do is best Battle & Lee and they’re in. 

Yeah I'm assuming Union will have their Jenkins shadowing him.  He seems to be the only weapon GC has so he's gonna have 2 guys chasing him around all season

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah I'm assuming Union will have their Jenkins shadowing him.  He seems to be the only weapon GC has so he's gonna have 2 guys chasing him around all season

Yep. We did a good job against him. He had a touchdown reception where he and Sage both went up and had hands on the ball and he just won the battle in the air. Heckuva play. And then he had an 83 yard TD against our 2nd string D. But outside of those two plays, he didn’t really have any chunk plays. 

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

From. What I was told, Jenkins had a step on Webb and and just got behind him. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

From. What I was told, Jenkins had a step on Webb and and just got behind him. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2FgPLE

The ball looked to be underthrown.  The Jenkins kid is the fastest kid I've seen on the field in High School since Cole Beck from Blacksburg.  Not saying Jenkins is the quickest or best player or anything like that since Cole Beck, but regarding straight line speed, the kid is alarmingly fast and the fastest I have seen since Beck.  They clocked his 40 at William and Mary using the laser at a 4.38.  A true 4.38 is blazing fast.  The real kicker for me was how he ran down the kid from Virginia High on a kickoff and the kid he ran down (VHigh's running back is very fast.)

On 8/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, Fairlawncat said:

Both teams are solid in my opinion.