Scrimmages on NFHS

Real Sasquatch

6 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Hell I can't even find who Union is scrimmaging.  Usually it's elizabethon but who knows who else

Elizabethton on Thursday, August 12th. No clue about the week after. Won't be Va High, they will be at GC.

How much money does each school make off a NFHS subscription? 

At what point do people stay at home and watch games on demand rather than come to the games regardless of covid? How bad will this hurt schools in the future? Don't get me wrong I have thoroughly enjoyed watching as many games as possible. Just curious if this will do more harm than good.

34 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

At what point do people stay at home and watch games on demand rather than come to the games regardless of covid? How bad will this hurt schools in the future? Don't get me wrong I have thoroughly enjoyed watching as many games as possible. Just curious if this will do more harm than good.

Each school gets 10% of the monthly subscription fee for each subscriber that designated that school to support. If they didn't designate a school to support then nobody gets that.

For the regular diehard fans, I feel confident they will be in the stands. For the fair weather fans, who knows? Maybe the school gets that 10% that they wouldn't normally get, or maybe those "fans" attend even fewer games. They'll find out for sure after this year.

37 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Don't get me on my soapbox here haha. Some involved thought that they could use this a huge revenue tool for the program but from my understanding they only make pennies on the dollar from each subscription that is linked to a particular school.

All this after pushing local radio to the brink with their outrageous broadcast fees while barely providing more that a plugin in some places (some schools are better than others). These same schools are at the same time asking for free air-time to promote anything and everything not athletic related....

I don't think it will make much of a difference.  It is a nice option to have for those who cannot make it to a game.  Most schools do well to pay for the refs and pay for the other sports with gate money from football.  The Booster Club and fund raisers is where most schools get enough money for new uniforms etc.  I was taking up money for a soccer game several years back and somebody complained about spendong $5 and asked where "all the money was going"  (like I knew).  I was just volunteering.   I told the old grouch that the money we took in wouldnt even pay for the refs for that game.   

16 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I don't think it will make much of a difference.  It is a nice option to have for those who cannot make it to a game.  Most schools do well to pay for the refs and pay for the other sports with gate money from football.  The Booster Club and fund raisers is where most schools get enough money for new uniforms etc.  I was taking up money for a soccer game several years back and somebody complained about spendong $5 and asked where "all the money was going"  (like I knew).  I was just volunteering.   I told the old grouch that the money we took in wouldnt even pay for the refs for that game.   

I hope you are right. I just see us living in an "on demand" society as it is. Seems like Friday Night HS football is one of the last great traditions we have. If you watch games from the 80s and 90s the attendance was much greater. Graham's attendance after the Graham/Beaver game isn't that great tbh. I guess only time will tell how it will all shake out.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I hope you are right. I just see us living in an "on demand" society as it is. Seems like Friday Night HS football is one of the last great traditions we have. If you watch games from the 80s and 90s the attendance was much greater. Graham's attendance after the Graham/Beaver game isn't that great tbh. I guess only time will tell how it will all shake out.

That could also be partly caused by people leaving this area. Not many towns in SWVA have grown since the 80s. Less people in town means less butts in seats on Friday nights. I know that’s not all of it — but I feel like it makes a big difference.