Numbers.

Real Sasquatch

17 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

When is media day for the Tax. County Schools.  Would like to see how many are actually out for all 3 teams. Hearing around 40 THS, around 50 for GHS and around 60 for RHS.  Does that seem about right?

Think I counted 59 for Richlands at the festival Friday night. 

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

I think GC is down to the 27-30 area.

Wow never thought I'd see numbers that low at gate city.  Even near the end Appalachia would have that many players and probably had less than 150 boys in grades 9-12

On 8/3/2021 at 12:07 AM, Gridiron60 said:

I heard Fort Chiswell doesn’t have a JV this year. I hate that if it’s true. 

I heard yesterday from one of our assistants here at Radford the the Fort does have a JV team this year.  They are scheduled to come to our place on September 9th for the JV contest.  So, unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks since we nailed down our JV schedule, the Fort does have a JV team.  FC had out 54 kids grades 9-12 and is now up to 57 kids 9-12 from what I was told by one of our assistants who has a background in Wythe County.

16 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I heard yesterday from one of our assistants here at Radford the the Fort does have a JV team this year.  They are scheduled to come to our place on September 9th for the JV contest.  So, unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks since we nailed down our JV schedule, the Fort does have a JV team.  FC had out 54 kids grades 9-12 and is now up to 57 kids 9-12 from what I was told by one of our assistants who has a background in Wythe County.

Do they normally have that many kids out? That's pretty impressive.

58 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I haven’t talked to my buddy since he first told me so you may be correct. I’ll text him to verify. His son is in 9th grade at FC. 

21 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Do they normally have that many kids out? That's pretty impressive.

FC usually does have 40+ kids out and has had around 50 at times.  FC is just very, very weird.  It's kind of like what was talked about on here, just hard to put your finger on regarding coaching changes and why they aren't better.  They have had some good teams and have had some major college talent like the RB that played at Virginia (Daniel Hamm) and Thomas who played at Tennessee and the kid at VMI recently.  They have often/regularly have 40-45 plus kids out, yet just a revolving door of coaches.  One person on here said the community/people are a bit difficult to work with.  Sounds like they are a bit fickle, clannish, etc, and this would have to explain the turnover because the location is nice.  Easy to Blacksburg or C-Ville, easy to Charlotte, Easy to West Va, New River close, lots of land/good property, and usually, a lot of kids with interest in football.  It's just weird.  On paper, it looks great and appears to be a a place where there is little to no coaching turnover with all of the above, but again, there is something up with their people.  Be it expectations or something just off.

Botty-tot only had around 30 players with them at the scrimmage with Dobyns-Bennett. I'm sure they probably have more than that in their program, but that was all they brought down to E&H. I was also surprised at Belfry's numbers, which I counted as 37 at Richlands last Friday.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Botty-tot only had around 30 players with them at the scrimmage with Dobyns-Bennett. I'm sure they probably have more than that in their program, but that was all they brought down to E&H. I was also surprised at Belfry's numbers, which I counted as 37 at Richlands last Friday.

Belfry has had a few transfers here and there but, I suspect the lack of "traveling" numbers could be attributed to risk mitigation.  Why bring 25-30 more kids that won't play but a couple of snaps, when all of those have just as good of a chance as every other player at contracting Covid and shutting your program down for 10 days this close to the season. I've been wrong before, but numbers have not been an issue on Pond Creek in a very, very long time. 

13 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Belfry has had a few transfers here and there but, I suspect the lack of "traveling" numbers could be attributed to risk mitigation.  Why bring 25-30 more kids that won't play but a couple of snaps, when all of those have just as good of a chance as every other player at contracting Covid and shutting your program down for 10 days this close to the season. I've been wrong before, but numbers have not been an issue on Pond Creek in a very, very long time. 

Could be that for sure. I texted a friend of mine who used to play for Belfry and still keeps up with their program through relatives and an occasional trip back. He said he'd ask around. 

5 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

Nope. Talked to a dad from Belfry who sat in front of me. They only have 37. Said it’s a mix of a smaller incoming class and several players sitting out because of Covid concerns.