Virginia sales tax holiday

My local PTSA is advertising the Commonwealth's sales tax holiday as a great time to purchase school supplies.

Want to guess one of the primary funding sources is for k-12 education in Virginia?  Yep.  That's right.  Sales tax.

Am I the only one who questions the logic here (even just the smallest of smidgens)?

12 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

My local PTSA is advertising the Commonwealth's sales tax holiday as a great time to purchase school supplies.

Want to guess one of the primary funding sources is for k-12 education in Virginia?  Yep.  That's right.  Sales tax.

Am I the only one who questions the logic here (even just the smallest of smidgens)?

This has been something my wife and I have had a good chuckle about for a few years now. We're amazed at the number of ways our society continues to marginalize education. All one needs to do is look to social media to see the consequences.

"The only thing that is more expensive than education is ignorance."  ~ Benjamin Franklin ~

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

This has been something my wife and I have had a good chuckle about for a few years now. We're amazed at the number of ways our society continues to marginalize education. All one needs to do is look to social media to see the consequences.

"The only thing that is more expensive than education is ignorance."  ~ Benjamin Franklin ~

I like it when my neighbors all gripe about the costs of materials and wonder why they have to pay all kinds of fees and charges for school related programs.  I want to say, "It's because you're clearly signalling to the 'conservatives' that you elected to public office that you'd prefer to pay more out of your own pocket than you ordinarily would in taxes -- and you're also willing to put up with substandard school resources as a direct result." 

But I don't.  Because I'm nice like that.

On 7/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, sixcat said:

There is a nice social media trend going on called #clearthelist.  Teachers post Amazon wish lists to groups, and if someone or some companies want to purchase, they do.  My wife actually has had some items purchased by anonymous donors by doing such a thing.  Given the minuscule supply budgets, that’s one way social media has helped.

GES principal (my neighbor) places an empty bus at the Galax Walmart. Shoppers are asked to by an item to “full the bus.” It’s been so successful, GES students have been 100% supplied for the past few school years. 

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

GES principal (my neighbor) places an empty bus at the Galax Walmart. Shoppers are asked to by an item to “full the bus.” It’s been so successful, GES students have been 100% supplied for the past few school years. 

That's an excellent, excellent program.  Damn shame it's needed but it's great to see the community step up and help the kids with what they need.