Will a single game be played?

Fairlawncat

If I were a betting man, I would wager the Virginia and West Virginia football season will at least go back to no attendance other than family, etc. I also think there is a high likelihood of the season being completely cancelled. Covid is rocketing again. I don't do the political stuff of whether they should play, shouldn't play or all that stuff. I just think that going by the past numbers for Covid and the decisions made based on those numbers by those in charge, then the current season just doesn't look good. 

The argument to play will rest in knowing there is a bunch of seniors in the United States that could potentially not have had any football for their junior or senior years, or a limited junior year and possibly no senior year. Colleges better be up on their eval of talent because they will have less data to evaluate players.  

It's going to be an interesting week in SWVA and across the country. Here in Myrtle Beach, the county (Shorty) is back up to 200 new infections per day. It's rolling through the M.Beach metro area like a hurricane sized machine.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Just my opinion, I think Virginia will play.  There may be attendance restrictions, but they will allow more fans now that more people are vaccinated.

I hope so.  I read were the State of Virginia had about 1700 new infections yesterday and the very same day last year in Virginia, there were about 1050 new infections.  The state of Virginia is projected to have well over 2000 new cases daily by the middle-late August of this year which would actually be Double the amount of new infections at the same time last year.  

Sports were played in Virginia during the winter when covid cases in the state were anywhere from 3-7 thousand per day. Mask mandates (here already), vaccine passports are on the way. 

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

If I were a betting man, I would wager the Virginia and West Virginia football season will at least go back to no attendance other than family, etc. I also think there is a high likelihood of the season being completely cancelled. Covid is rocketing again. I don't do the political stuff of whether they should play, shouldn't play or all that stuff. I just think that going by the past numbers for Covid and the decisions made based on those numbers by those in charge, then the current season just doesn't look good. 

The argument to play will rest in knowing there is a bunch of seniors in the United States that could potentially not have had any football for their junior or senior years, or a limited junior year and possibly no senior year. Colleges better be up on their eval of talent because they will have less data to evaluate players.  

It's going to be an interesting week in SWVA and across the country. Here in Myrtle Beach, the county (Shorty) is back up to 200 new infections per day. It's rolling through the M.Beach metro area like a hurricane sized machine.

cased dont  mean death or even hospitalizations.  everyone gets sick from something. va 7 day rolling death is 3 a day out of 8 million people just sit tight

It’s election year for the governor so it would be political suicide for him if he shuts it down…they’ll play…he’ll claim he kept everything open for the kids, then when the elections over all bets are off, sorry basketball

57 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

It’s election year for the governor so it would be political suicide for him if he shuts it down

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! I guarantee more people in the state see this from the opposite political viewpoint as your post would indicate, myself included.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! I guarantee more people in the state see this from the opposite political viewpoint as your post would indicate, myself included.

Does this make absolutely no sense because you see it from the "opposite political viewpoint?" He has his party on lockdown no matter what he does; now he wants to appease SWVa by allowing football to go on and maybe he can pick up some votes for allowing football.  You don't honestly think he cares one way or the other about COVID right now do you? He's just trying to figure out what helps him win the election.  

6 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

Does this make absolutely no sense because you see it from the "opposite political viewpoint?" He has his party on lockdown no matter what he does; now he wants to appease SWVa by allowing football to go on and maybe he can pick up some votes for allowing football.  You don't honestly think he cares one way or the other about COVID right now do you? He's just trying to figure out what helps him win the election.  

Northam isn't on a ballot anywhere!!! The gubernatorial race in Virginia precludes the sitting Governor from seeking reelection. If you want to suggest Northam is pandering to his base to benefit the Democratic party, fine. Semantics possibly but facts matter. Not calling attention to misleading information is how we've ended up in this mess considering everybody has a voice with social media now. 

I'm not even suggesting there not be a football season. But the fact we're even having this conversation is directly attributable to those selfish people among us who refuse to be vaccinated. That isn't the Governor's fault in the least. I would say the same thing if the sitting Governor represented the Republican party. Those who refuse the vaccine are causing this situation to be far worse than it has to be!!!  It may not be a cure, but it has proven to prevent hospitalization and death. Thus, reducing the stress on an already taxed healthcare system. If you (or anyone else) refuse to get vaccinated, you lose any credibility when blaming others for another shut-down.

18 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Just my opinion, I think Virginia will play.  There may be attendance restrictions, but they will allow more fans now that more people are vaccinated.

That seems to be Northams approach and the VHSL will follow suit. I'd say limited attendance,  masks, etc but the season will happen in full. 

I may be in the minority but I think if you have the shot or shots you get to come, if not stay your butt at home, it’s a choice but your rights only go as far as someone else’s begin. I bet if they linked all that free money to being vaccinated there would be less people not getting the shot, ….yes I had my two shots back in Feb. , no side effects at all

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

I may be in the minority but I think if you have the shot or shots you get to come, if not stay your butt at home, it’s a choice but your rights only go as far as someone else’s begin. I bet if they linked all that free money to being vaccinated there would be less people not getting the shot, ….yes I had my two shots back in Feb. , no side effects at all

You just want riots, huh? 😂😂 Can you imagine the reaction to games being vaccination only? Talk about a popcorn moment. 

Ok what abiout if you have had COVID and know 22 others who have had it and some decided to get vaccinated and some didn’t. If you read the study from Washington school of medicine in St. Louis and the Cleveland clinic. Both stating having COVID providing natural immunity as in having other viruses. Now onto getting shots, if you want to get them do so but examples close to me. My brother had Pfizer vaccine and 34 days after second shot contracted COVID and now has heart inflammation. He has been told under no circumstances any more shots. Another friend of mine had Moderna  shots and now is having heart fluctuations. He will not get anymore shots. My friend from work his mother also had Moderna shots and 2 months later in a secluded setting contracted COVID. Now my parents had Pfizer shots and haven’t had any issues at all. It’s not that clear cut and having COVID I’m not being selfish at all in not taking a vaccine shot.

14 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You just want riots, huh? 😂😂 Can you imagine the reaction to games being vaccination only? Talk about a popcorn moment. 

Get a shot or no high school football wear a mask or no high school football. It seem like an easy pick to me. This is the greatest sport in the world and at the high school level the greatest teacher of life that these kids are ever going to have. I just want the season to happen and I’m sure everyone else is on the same page. So if I have to be uncomfortable in a mask no problem if I got a take a little shot sure “stop the spread” and let us move on with our life! 

sorry for the rant 

43 minutes ago, Single A west said:

Ok what abiout if you have had COVID and know 22 others who have had it and some decided to get vaccinated and some didn’t. If you read the study from Washington school of medicine in St. Louis and the Cleveland clinic. Both stating having COVID providing natural immunity as in having other viruses. Now onto getting shots, if you want to get them do so but examples close to me. My brother had Pfizer vaccine and 34 days after second shot contracted COVID and now has heart inflammation. He has been told under no circumstances any more shots. Another friend of mine had Moderna  shots and now is having heart fluctuations. He will not get anymore shots. My friend from work his mother also had Moderna shots and 2 months later in a secluded setting contracted COVID. Now my parents had Pfizer shots and haven’t had any issues at all. It’s not that clear cut and having COVID I’m not being selfish at all in not taking a vaccine shot.

I know just as many people that died 1 week after taking the Johnson & Johnson shot as I do that has died from COVID.......2. I wont be taking that one for sure. If I get COVID and kick the bucket in the next few weeks yall can feel free to talk about how big of an idiot I was for not getting vaccinated. I'm not the guy that's anti Vax on every vaccine out there. Im just a little concerned with this being pushed through as fast as it was. 

My wife and I never got the shot.   We had Covid before the vax became available and they told us we had to wait 90 days after Covid symptoms were gone in order to get the Vaccine.  During that time, our Doc told us that having Covid might be as powerful in immunity as having the Vax.  We held off on the shot and have held off ever since.  We do have proof of Covid positive and we have proof of Covid Antibodies.  We both had the antibody test 2 months after we got sick just for piece of mind.   I think, not sure, but just reading online, that we can reach herd immunity not just by having the vaccine, but having had the virus and not having the shot helps to get to herd immunity.  So, if it boils down to gaining entry by having proof of vaccine, I hope they take into consideration proof of having had Covid/or a positive antibody test showing immunity.  The danger is not knowing how long the vaccine lasts and whether we need a booster and also not knowing how long natural immunity lasts after Covid.  I got a feelin this Covid Thing is going to turn into a flu shot type deal where they develop a shot each year based on what type of strain is predicted to hit us.  I don't like shots thought  Scare of needles, so if Covid Shot becomes an annual thing, I hope somebody out there is sharp enough to combine the thing with my flu shot.  That keeps me from getting 2 needles.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Like I said it a choice, just like wearing a seat belt, or back in the days smallpox was killing , or poliovirus crippled children. People die everyday wearing a seatbelt in crashes ….but more people die without them. It’s your choice but again your God given rights ENDS when another’s begins , so if you or anyone plan on staying at how, no COVID money ….have at it, yeah the young do better but now toddlers are dying . I couldn’t bare my grandchild dying because of someone being selfish. God bless everyone on this board and their families 

I was sick for 3 weeks around January. Never went got test. Then I got flu b in February. Got test for covid and flu. Positive case for flu b. I have talk to my doctor. With medicine I have to take daily he has advice me not to take any of the covid vaccination. It with affect with my medicine. So I won't be getting covid vaccination. 

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Get a shot or no high school football wear a mask or no high school football. It seem like an easy pick to me. This is the greatest sport in the world and at the high school level the greatest teacher of life that these kids are ever going to have. I just want the season to happen and I’m sure everyone else is on the same page. So if I have to be uncomfortable in a mask no problem if I got a take a little shot sure “stop the spread” and let us move on with our life! 

sorry for the rant 

I’m already vax’d, so I’ll be in the stands every Friday night cheering on my Blues lol. 

• GMan locked this topic