Will a single game be played?

Fairlawncat

40 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

I look at it like a life jacket. A life jacket won't keep you from falling in the water, and certainly won't keep you from getting wet. A life jacket isn't even 100% guaranteed to keep you from drowning, but it greatly increases the chances that you survive if you take a spill into deep and/or moving water. I'd never consider getting out on the water in a kayak or in a moving boat without one, and I didn't hesitate to take the vaccine when my opportunity arrived. 

OMG THE PERFECT ANALOGY EXISTS!

2 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I look at it like a life jacket. A life jacket won't keep you from falling in the water, and certainly won't keep you from getting wet. A life jacket isn't even 100% guaranteed to keep you from drowning, but it greatly increases the chances that you survive if you take a spill into deep and/or moving water. I'd never consider getting out on the water in a kayak or in a moving boat without one, and I didn't hesitate to take the vaccine when my opportunity arrived. 

Me too had a sore arm for a day or two better than having tubes down my throat in a ICU bed I guess

33 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Me too had a sore arm for a day or two better than having tubes down my throat in a ICU bed I guess

Neither of us had any issues besides sore arms. I've known a lot of people who had Covid. Most had mild symptoms. Some got really sick, but not sick enough to be hospitalized. Some were hospitalized, and some never came home. Our neighbor in Florida didn't last 2 weeks with it. My in-laws neighbor in Kingsport passed away in 3 weeks, while his wife, daughter and son in-law had mild to bad symptoms, but never hospitalized. A guy I used to work with at Eastman died from it, and a couple of others I casually knew out there died from it as well. The 20 year old nephew of one of my wife's friends died from it last week. My dentist and his wife had it, with severe flu-like symptoms....and it took his wife's hearing in her left ear. She's totally deaf in it now. Covid is truly like a box of chocolates. 

22 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Neither of us had any issues besides sore arms. I've known a lot of people who had Covid. Most had mild symptoms. Some got really sick, but not sick enough to be hospitalized. Some were hospitalized, and some never came home. Our neighbor in Florida didn't last 2 weeks with it. My in-laws neighbor in Kingsport passed away in 3 weeks, while his wife, daughter and son in-law had mild to bad symptoms, but never hospitalized. A guy I used to work with at Eastman died from it, and a couple of others I casually knew out there died from it as well. The 20 year old nephew of one of my wife's friends died from it last week. My dentist and his wife had it, with severe flu-like symptoms....and it took his wife's hearing in her left ear. She's totally deaf in it now. Covid is truly like a box of chocolates. 

I had a sore arm (like a 1.5 on a scale of 1-10) after the 1st shot (Moderna).  The second one put me in the bed the day after, virtually unable to get up.  I’ve never been that exhausted, and I’ve been extremely tired before.

I had COVID-19 the week before Christmas (isolation was a nice way to spend Christmas Day).  I took a test at the community testing event in Tazewell on December 17th.  Honestly, I’d have never known I had it if not for that test.  My senses of smell and taste were a little dulled (not all the way gone), and I was a little more fatigued than usual.  But those were the only symptoms I had (no fever, stomach issues, shortness of breath, low O2, etc.).  I had just come off a pretty bad bout of bronchitis over Thanksgiving (two rounds of antibiotics), and I just thought it was a little hangover from that.  Thankfully, the last prescription I had for the bronchitis and one of my blood pressure medicines have been shown in clinical trials to have promise as a prophylactic for COVID-19.  The 2nd shot was actually worse than the actual thing for me.

Others were not so lucky.  A couple co-workers were out of work for over 6 weeks.  My church’s youth pastor died from it.  A former client of mine was the first Tazewell County resident to die from it.  Ben Chafin died from it.  The Russian Roulette nature of this virus is difficult to fathom.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Yeah my whole family had it last July and only thing I lost was taste but unfortunately my grandfather died from it 3 days after getting it.  He had black lung already so never had a chance so it pisses me off when people act like it's just like the flu.  He had black lung for 30 years and many times had the flu and that didn't kill him so there not the same

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah my whole family had it last July and only thing I lost was taste but unfortunately my grandfather died from it 3 days after getting it.  He had black lung already so never had a chance so it pisses me off when people act like it's just like the flu.  He had black lung for 30 years and many times had the flu and that didn't kill him so there not the same

I hate to hear that, man. I got lucky. My grandfather got it and was in bad, bad shape for days but pulled through. My grandmother had it was basically just like a bad cold for her. Just tired. It knocked my dad on his butt for a few days. My wife and I were a few hours away from getting it. We almost went to church with my grandparents and that’s the day they got it, so we dodged a major bullet. 

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I hate to hear that, man. I got lucky. My grandfather got it and was in bad, bad shape for days but pulled through. My grandmother had it was basically just like a bad cold for her. Just tired. It knocked my dad on his butt for a few days. My wife and I were a few hours away from getting it. We almost went to church with my grandparents and that’s the day they got it, so we dodged a major bullet. 

My brother in-law got it in December. He got it from his coworker. At 58 and having COPD from being a lifelong smoker, he thought he was in serious trouble, and my sister in-law who has MS was terrified when he tested positive because she thought for sure she would get it and it would do a number on her. On top of that, their neighbor was a nurse and had a really bas experience with it in April of 2020, spending over 2 months in the hospital and was intubated for a couple of weeks before finally recovering. They were lucky though. My BIL never had more than mild symptoms and my SIL never tested positive. Both got their vaccinations as soon as they were available. 

The Biggest concern I have is whether one single positive results requires the entire team in quarantine again. If this is the rule, then I would almost wish the season cancelled. With the vaccine, knowledge of how to treat the virus compared to a year ago, lower hospital and lethality rates, I just pray they don't start the quarantine thing for one positive test on the team. Even with the vaccine and the overwhelming majority of kids being vaccinated for High School Football, It's a given and not a matter of if, but a matter of when it happens for many teams regarding a positive test.

I don't know if the VHSL and VA Dept of Health have put out any guidelines for this issue. It's an issue that will surely raise it's head for at least one or more local schools, and many schools across VA and WV.

Just now, Fairlawncat said:

The Biggest concern I have is whether one single positive results requires the entire team in quarantine again. If this is the rule, then I would almost wish the season cancelled. With the vaccine, knowledge of how to treat the virus compared to a year ago, lower hospital and lethality rates, I just pray they don't start the quarantine thing for one positive test on the team. Even with the vaccine and the overwhelming majority of kids being vaccinated for High School Football, It's a given and not a matter of if, but a matter of when it happens for many teams regarding a positive test.

I don't know if the VHSL and VA Dept of Health have put out any guidelines for this issue. It's an issue that will surely raise it's head for at least one or more local schools, and many schools across VA and WV.

Vaccinated individuals do not have to quarantine under the current guidance 

I hope none of this affects football whatever it is going around. Good luck this week to all teams scrimmaging this week. 

Deleted link since other points of view trigger some people. Back to football! Let’s see how teams look this week! If there’s any surprises! Any predictions? Too early to tell? 

I've received the vaccine and would consider myself pro-vaccine; but I find the idea of a mandate premature and deeply troubling.  Additionally, I'd encourage others to stop the shame and blame tactics. These are not only ineffective, they're actually counter-productive. 

32 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I just laugh at the ones who think its a way for the government to track someone with a tiny microchip.  Same fools carrying a smartphone everywhere with them, the government tracking device you pay for yourself.

Just gotta wear the foil hat to scramble the signal. 

I had it in April and wouldn't have known if I hadn't been tested. I had a low grade fever that hung around for 9-10 days  and a slight headache for a couple of days. My better half caught it as well and had a rougher time than I did but fortunately we made it through. She never lost taste or smell, but I did for about a month or so. My breathing for a couple of months after was labored though. After a few days and nights with a nebulizer, I was back to normal. My buddy at work that I've lockered beside of and worked beside of for 11 years caught it the same time I did and he passed away the day that I came back to work. I get my 2nd shot this Friday and didn't hesitate. 

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I've received the vaccine and would consider myself pro-vaccine; but I find the idea of a mandate premature and deeply troubling.  Additionally, I'd encourage others to stop the shame and blame tactics. These are not only ineffective, they're actually counter-productive. 

I think the same I got the shot but noway it should be mandatory but it wouldn't surprise me if at some point your not gonna be allowed to certain events without proof of vaccine.  Not being able to go to a football or basketball game would be enough for me to get it

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I just laugh at the ones who think its a way for the government to track someone with a tiny microchip.  Same fools carrying a smartphone everywhere with them, the government tracking device you pay for yourself.

I truly feel sorry for whomever has (hypothetically) been assigned to track me.  That's got to be a really boring job.

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Looks like those who serve in military won’t have a choice, it’s very troubling to say the least! 

https://wvva.com/2021/08/09/pentagon-to-require-covid-vaccine-for-all-troops-by-sept-15/?fbclid=IwAR1-kD8PfVbSiKmjo-qRAyoQr11xZoq_WM1uuBMomBtQUWrFHoXDwO-u3zU

I was very thankful I had taken my vaccine and was post 2 weeks of my second shot when my wife tested positive.  She got very sick and was almost admitted to the hospital.  I never developed a symptom while she was sick and slept in the bed with her each night to be able to care for her if she needed anything.   We are lucky she was not one of the most unfortunate ones.  She does have blood clots in her lungs that are being treated so even post covid she isnt completely out of the woods.

I have some very good friends who lost their mother before Covid was truly known to be in the US.  She developed issues around Thanksgiving of 2019.  All of her symptoms line up with Covid19 and she passed away at Vanderbilt in December of 2019.  At that time they didnt have a test for it I dont believe at any location she was at.  She had not been out of the country but on a business trip to the eastern part of VA the week before getting sick.  Her son told me her doctors do believe now that she did have COVID19. 

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The battle lines for this were drawn when these vaccines were in Stage 2 of their clinical trials.  Unless Jesus and Donald Trump hold a joint press conference encouraging people to get the vaccine, no public sentiment will sway the ~30% of "never vaxxers".  The only thing that's going to get through to them is to have their father, mother, sister, brother, or child die from COVID-19.  That's the ONLY way, and it's so disheartening.  It took having my church's children's pastor die for my church's congregation to start giving a semblance of a damn about it.  And I've known so many people who thought it was "just the flu" until they had to see the effects of it Clockwork Orange-style.  People who get their "news" and medical advice from sites like americanpatriot.baldeagle.beatthelibtards.trump.us aren't going to listen to logic.  They aren't going to look at how stark the difference in data is between vaccinated and unvaccinated people.  They're only going to listen when they have to carry the casket of someone who died from it.  Until then, the stronger their views can be marginalized for the worthlessness they are, the better.  

If not for that ~30% of the population, we'd have this thing in the rearview mirror.  Instead, we have ~30% of the population brainlessly volunteering themselves to be the control group in this Machiavellian experiment, volunteering themselves to be the breeding ground for sneakier (if weaker) variants of COVID-19 that will eventually evolve to evade vaccines altogether.  I'm growing weary of missing activities I used to enjoy and taking umpteen safety precautions to help protect people who don't give a flying fig about protecting me.  I'll still do it, because I still love them, but I believe some righteous indignation is in order.  

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Looks like those who serve in military won’t have a choice, it’s very troubling to say the least! 

https://wvva.com/2021/08/09/pentagon-to-require-covid-vaccine-for-all-troops-by-sept-15/?fbclid=IwAR1-kD8PfVbSiKmjo-qRAyoQr11xZoq_WM1uuBMomBtQUWrFHoXDwO-u3zU

Troubling? Spoken like someone who has never served!

The day you enter the reception station for Basic Training, they inject both arms and give you a dozen pills to take. I'm shocked they were given a choice to this point.

27 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The day you enter the reception station for Basic Training, they inject both arms and give you a dozen pills to take. I'm shocked they were given a choice to this point.

Not to mention that you were required to have several shots in order to attend public schools-it’s not like vaccine mandates are a new scary thing. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

And did you serve? I doubt that very seriously. You've never left the trailer park in Galax, let alone served anything other than customers at the local McD's.

• GMan locked this topic