Will a single game be played?

Fairlawncat

3 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Sigh…the issues with hospitalizations are from unvaccinated people. No one here claimed vaxxed people couldn’t spread the virus. Blaming vaccinated people for unvaccinated people clogging the hospitals is a wonderful example of the weaponized ignorance I’m referring to.

Typing very slowing… I never said the vaccinated were clogging up hospitals. If you would read to understand rather than merely condemn others , we might actually have points we agree on. 

1. Vaccinated can spread Covid

2. If someone isn’t vaccinated, they probably aren’t going to get the vaccine (maybe if an unvaccinated family member gets really sick, they might) but otherwise, their mind is made up. 

3. More effective treatments are needed. 

4. Everyone should build up their own natural immune system with vitamin supplements, healthy diet, & exercise. 

5. Vilifying those who are unvaccinated is not productive. 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Didn't we just have this conversation a week ago? How many minds were changed based off our conversations on here? I will confess that after @UVAObserver threw shade at me for getting my information from Bald Eagle News and The American Patriot I have now switched solely to 93.9 Jim Mabe in the Morning for all my information to the happenings in the world. Believe it or not I'm still a right wing nut job that can get along with just about anybody as long as they have a sense of humor.

Out of reactions 😂😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Sigh…the issues with hospitalizations are from unvaccinated people. No one here claimed vaxxed people couldn’t spread the virus. Blaming vaccinated people for unvaccinated people clogging the hospitals is a wonderful example of the weaponized ignorance I’m referring to.

Fascinating to me how we are so opposite and take sides, even in the face of going against what we think is our own values. For example, Bill Clinton had largely, Republican leaning policies such as welfare reform, tax cuts, and a three strike and you are out rule on crime, yet the Dems loved him and the Pubs said he was to far left. Trump is largely isolationist, actually was the frontrunner of ending the war and bringing troops home, and signed massive wide decriminalization of crimes, and these are left leaning policies former Pubs would have considered outrageous, yet the Pubs love him and the Dems think he's a right wing zealot. 

We live in an absolutely Insane world man. God help us in the US when we have no enemy in common, be it the Soviets, Taliban, etc. We are going at each other's throats when we probably disagree on 20 percent of stuff and agree on 80 percent, but guess where we focus our energy. 

Let's just play some football and love it (another one of the 80 percent of things) we have in common

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

Typing very slowing… I never said the vaccinated were clogging up hospitals. If you would read to understand rather than merely condemn others , we might actually have points we agree on. 

1. Vaccinated can spread Covid

2. If someone isn’t vaccinated, they probably aren’t going to get the vaccine (maybe if an unvaccinated family member gets really sick, they might) but otherwise, their mind is made up. 

3. More effective treatments are needed. 

4. Everyone should build up their own natural immune system with vitamin supplements, healthy diet, & exercise. 

5. Vilifying those who are unvaccinated is not productive. 

I will say this I agree with this as a whole especially point #5  However with that said I will also say that since having it, my point of view has changed and after natural immunity wears down I will go get it because if it keeps me from feeling half as bad as I did then it is worth it.  At the same time the current situation does not stop the spread.  I don't know what you do about it but bottom line is you will be exposed and vax or not you can still get it and get sick and/or spread it to others vax or not as well.

It SUCKS having it and even though mine was a mild case by definition, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

5 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Didn't we just have this conversation a week ago? How many minds were changed based off our conversations on here? I will confess that after @UVAObserver threw shade at me for getting my information from Bald Eagle News and The American Patriot I have now switched solely to 93.9 Jim Mabe in the Morning for all my information to the happenings in the world. Believe it or not I'm still a right wing nut job that can get along with just about anybody as long as they have a sense of humor.

I used to listen to 93.9 quite often until they played an Exile song one day and pretended it was Country.  I cannot abide by such tomfoolery.

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

I will say this I agree with this as a whole especially point #5  However with that said I will also say that since having it, my point of view has changed and after natural immunity wears down I will go get it because if it keeps me from feeling half as bad as I did then it is worth it.  At the same time the current situation does not stop the spread.  I don't know what you do about it but bottom line is you will be exposed and vax or not you can still get it and get sick and/or spread it to others vax or not as well.

It SUCKS having it and even though mine was a mild case by definition, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I hate to hear that. I hope you get to feeling better. I think that’s the only way some unvaccinated will get vaccinated is by getting sick or knowing someone who gets it bad. I was vaccinated back in January/February and will likely get the booster if recommended. I’ve been exposed several times myself. My most recent test was negative. This whole trying to talk down to people who have valid points helps no one as vilifying unvaccinated people helps no one. 

I had covid before there was a test. I was sick for 3 to 4 weeks. But I have blood clots in my family but I doctor don't want me on blood thinner right now. He has suggested to me not to get covid vaccine. He said it will raise my blood clots risk up and cause heart attack. Right I'm in big stand of not getting the vaccine. But I been pushed by bunch of people to get it. Right risk of having heart attack is not on the table.

9 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I hate to hear that. I hope you get to feeling better. I think that’s the only way some unvaccinated will get vaccinated is by getting sick or knowing someone who gets it bad. I was vaccinated back in January/February and will likely get the booster if recommended. I’ve been exposed several times myself. My most recent test was negative. This whole trying to talk down to people who have valid points helps no one as vilifying unvaccinated people helps no one. 

Feeling lot better and still fighting the fatigue part of it.  Thankfully taste is really making progress returning to normal.

The harder you try and push someone to do something, the less likely they are to actually do it.  Basic human nature for most there.  They tried a guilt trip earlier in the year at work for supervisors and management to convince those that hadn't been vaccinated to consider getting it.  Several of the people I associate with that were in that meeting all said, "Well after that I'm sure not getting it now"

I hear it everyday at work. You need get vaccinated. It has pushed me away. I was on the fence about it. So I decide talk to my doctor. I understand the points they give. But hearing everyday gets old fast. I get feeling they get extra incentive for each employee who get vaccinated. I'm going get antibody test done soon and see where I stand. Then see if they alternative to get the blood clots down if the vaccine is need. 

My understanding all along has been that the vaccines do not prevent anyone from contracting Covid -- but that the intent was to mitigate the most severe consequences (like death) associated with the disease.  And the data so far suggest that they are all pretty darned effective when measured against that type of standard.

So am I the only one who is a little bit perplexed by all of the "[insert name] was vaccinated but got Covid anyway" anecdotes?  

11 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

My understanding all along has been that the vaccines do not prevent anyone from contracting Covid -- but that the intent was to mitigate the most severe consequences (like death) associated with the disease.  And the data so far suggest that they are all pretty darned effective when measured against that type of standard.

So am I the only one who is a little bit perplexed by all of the "[insert name] was vaccinated but got Covid anyway" anecdotes?  

"The decay of logic results from the untroubled assumption that the particular is real and the universal is not."  ~ C.S. Lewis ~

I love a good anecdote. The COVID vaccine was never depicted as an antidote.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

"The decay of logic results from the untroubled assumption that the particular is real and the universal is not."  ~ C.S. Lewis ~

I love a good anecdote. The COVID vaccine was never depicted as an antidote.

I think it was characterized as the end all. From President Trump to President Biden to Tony Fauci and so on. But especially the media. I can remember things said such as "If we can just hold on until we get a vaccine. When the vaccine is here we can put away our masks, etc. So people are really feeling lied to about this whole mess. Now there have many such as myself that have said "not so fast". And those have been from both sides of the political spectrum. But those voices have been drowned out. Whether it was intentional or not the message being sent was we can all get back to normal as soon as X percentage of the people get the vaccine.

The problem with the 'vaccine" is that the bar was lowered so low from what constitutes normal certification and approval. Remember President Trump stating that "we are going to remove red tape and get the vaccine out quickly" (paraphrased). What that translated into is that most of the procedures and red tape that test the long term effectiveness and side effects are going to be laid aside. The bar was also set very high for what the vaccine could do when it was approved for emergency use. 

The way I look at it is this way. I think at most colleges you have to score 90% to get an "A". Now if I start a college and all you have to score to get an "A" is 60% then the standard of an "A" is compromised and confused. I honestly think that is what has happened here when the words "safe" and "effective" are used regarding this vaccine. The CDC has lowered the bar so low as to what constitutes "Safe" and "effective" that those words that used to give people confidence are now causing great doubt and the are eroding the confidence of the public. When you make statements that vaccinated people no longer to wear a mask you are implying that vaccinated people can no longer get or transmit the virus when they knew all along that this wasn't true. I suspected this because every year when I get the flu shot the nurse told me that I could still get the virus and could still transmit it. We all know that the Covid-19 is from the same family.

1 minute ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I think it was characterized as the end all. From President Trump to President Biden to Tony Fauci and so on. But especially the media. I can remember things said such as "If we can just hold on until we get a vaccine. When the vaccine is here we can put away our masks, etc. So people are really feeling lied to about this whole mess. Now there have many such as myself that have said "not so fast". And those have been from both sides of the political spectrum. But those voices have been drowned out. Whether it was intentional or not the message being sent was we can all get back to normal as soon as X percentage of the people get the vaccine.

The problem with the 'vaccine" is that the bar was lowered so low from what constitutes normal certification and approval. Remember President Trump stating that "we are going to remove red tape and get the vaccine out quickly" (paraphrased). What that translated into is that most of the procedures and red tape that test the long term effectiveness and side effects are going to be laid aside. The bar was also set very high for what the vaccine could do when it was approved for emergency use. 

The way I look at it is this way. I think at most colleges you have to score 90% to get an "A". Now if I start a college and all you have to score to get an "A" is 60% then the standard of an "A" is compromised and confused. I honestly think that is what has happened here when the words "safe" and "effective" are used regarding this vaccine. The CDC has lowered the bar so low as to what constitutes "Safe" and "effective" that those words that used to give people confidence are now causing great doubt and the are eroding the confidence of the public. When you make statements that vaccinated people no longer to wear a mask you are implying that vaccinated people can no longer get or transmit the virus when they knew all along that this wasn't true. I suspected this because every year when I get the flu shot the nurse told me that I could still get the virus and could still transmit it. We all know that the Covid-19 is from the same family.

Our public figures, in both political persuasions, have done a borderline unethical job of setting public expectations for this virus.  One of the things Flip-Flop Fauci actually did correctly was to temper expectations for the vaccine, because the results wouldn't be a known quantity for some time.  It was unclear if the vaccine would work like the flu vaccine (significantly cut the risks) or like the measles vaccine (wipe the sucker out).  Turns out, the results are more akin to the flu vaccine, which is A-OK.  However, expectations were set at an impossible level.

What I cannot agree with is that the "bar was lowered".  mRNA vaccine technology has existed since 1991.  There was a SARS vaccine (COV-1) that was about 90% done but shelved due to the lack of presence in Asia for some time.  The whole "we don't know the long-term effects" is a complete red herring, plain and simple.  We have known for some time that the supposed "long term" effects of a vaccine usually manifest extremely quickly.  Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened here.  We found out that the J&J vaccine will cause blood clots in a microscopic percentage for women.  Moderna #2 will make a lot of folks feel cruddy for about 24 hours.  And, that's it.  If anything "bad" was going to happen, it would have happened in the first 340M data points.  

To fit your analogy, it's not like 60% suddenly constituted an A.  It's more like you took a 3-week summer course that would normally be a 3-hour fall/spring course.  You still learned everything you needed to learn, and the final exam was just as hard.  But it passed, not with an A, but probably with a B+.

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Our public figures, in both political persuasions, have done a borderline unethical job of setting public expectations for this virus.  One of the things Flip-Flop Fauci actually did correctly was to temper expectations for the vaccine, because the results wouldn't be a known quantity for some time.  It was unclear if the vaccine would work like the flu vaccine (significantly cut the risks) or like the measles vaccine (wipe the sucker out).  Turns out, the results are more akin to the flu vaccine, which is A-OK.  However, expectations were set at an impossible level.

What I cannot agree with is that the "bar was lowered".  mRNA vaccine technology has existed since 1991.  There was a SARS vaccine (COV-1) that was about 90% done but shelved due to the lack of presence in Asia for some time.  The whole "we don't know the long-term effects" is a complete red herring, plain and simple.  We have known for some time that the supposed "long term" effects of a vaccine usually manifest extremely quickly.  Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened here.  We found out that the J&J vaccine will cause blood clots in a microscopic percentage for women.  Moderna #2 will make a lot of folks feel cruddy for about 24 hours.  And, that's it.  If anything "bad" was going to happen, it would have happened in the first 340M data points.  

To fit your analogy, it's not like 60% suddenly constituted an A.  It's more like you took a 3-week summer course that would normally be a 3-hour fall/spring course.  You still learned everything you needed to learn, and the final exam was just as hard.  But it passed, not with an A, but probably with a B+.

I think one of the big issues there is how the media covered Covid early on: stories from Italy were pushed as the baseline for what was going to happen, later New York was the example of what the results of the Covid outbreak were going to be. The fact is those were extremes. So using that as the standard fear was drummed up and people were generally terrified, now they're looking for a silver bullet to fix the problem or when Covid isn't as bad as those examples they lose trust in what they're being told.

I had no intention of getting the vaccine (too new, too rushed, not enough research on long term effects) until I learned that, as you said, the mRNA vaccine technology wasn't new and that really what scientists were doing was focusing an existing vaccine on a different target. 

45 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I had no intention of getting the vaccine (too new, too rushed, not enough research on long term effects) until I learned that, as you said, the mRNA vaccine technology wasn't new and that really what scientists were doing was focusing an existing vaccine on a different target. 

This is where a lot of people are — and that’s 1000% understandable. The issue is that most people don’t do the research you did to find out more about it. They just keep assuming — and keep refusing to get the vaccine. What we need is more redtiger’s in the world 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

This is where a lot of people are — and that’s 1000% understandable. The issue is that most people don’t do the research you did to find out more about it. They just keep assuming — and keep refusing to get the vaccine. What we need is more redtiger’s in the world 

I'm an older, poorly educated Appalachian American. My research skills are shaky at best, not to mention my ability to comprehend the actual findings of my research. That's why I consulted with my doctor of 35 years. He's always been pretty good at understanding shit related to the medical field, and has never steered my wrong. He told me emphatically that I needed to get vaccinated, so I did as soon as I was eligible. 

17 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

I'm an older, poorly educated Appalachian American. My research skills are shaky at best, not to mention my ability to comprehend the actual findings of my research. That's why I consulted with my doctor of 35 years. He's always been pretty good at understanding shit related to the medical field, and has never steered my wrong. He told me emphatically that I needed to get vaccinated, so I did as soon as I was eligible. 

Reading your coherent statement, which seems to be coupled with a keen sense of self awareness, tells me that you are far from poorly educated.

Edited by spyhunter
Grammar

40 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Boom. You trust your doctor to treat you for the flu, for a sinus infection, for a broken arm, for a colonoscopy, etc… why wouldn’t you trust them on this? They are trying to save your life. 

I’m glad you’re vaccinated and protected! There’s a certain piece of mind that I have knowing my wife is vaccinated — and I’m sure that sense exists with your family, too. 

This is heartbreaking for me to post as Sean (Mike) as he was called when growing up in the Richlands area, and  graduating from Richlands High School is related to close family.    His wife Heidi is sedated, on a ventilator and  doesn't know of her Sean's passing.  May God's mercies reign on Heidi.  Prayers needed for their 11 year old son Marshall, John (Sean's brother),  who was an assistant head Coach at Richlands High School until moving to GA,  Linda, Sean's mother, and  for Sean's uncle, Jim Hammond, who was a former head football coach at Richlands High School.  

Dalton teacher passes away after battle with COVID-19; Hammond remembered for love of family and children | Local News | dailycitizen.news

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

I think one of the big issues there is how the media covered Covid early on: stories from Italy were pushed as the baseline for what was going to happen, later New York was the example of what the results of the Covid outbreak were going to be. The fact is those were extremes. So using that as the standard fear was drummed up and people were generally terrified, now they're looking for a silver bullet to fix the problem or when Covid isn't as bad as those examples they lose trust in what they're being told.

I've lost faith in more human institutions over the past year and a half than I can recall.  But the performance of the media (painting with a broad brush there) has been particularly dismal.  The phenomenon of social media certainly has a key role in the rampant confusion attached to this pandemic, but "journalistic integrity" seems to be a term of pure nostalgia at this point.  I also never thought I'd see the day (in this country at least) where fear and ignorance are actually guiding principles for public policy. 

The truth in all matters will reveal itself, but that will probably take a long time.  And it's hard to imagine that those who write history in the future will view our contemporary society in very charitable terms.

6 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

This is heartbreaking for me to post as Sean (Mike) as he was called when growing up in the Richlands area, and  graduating from Richlands High School is related to close family.    His wife Heidi is sedated, on a ventilator and  doesn't know of her Sean's passing.  May God's mercies reign on Heidi.  Prayers needed for their 11 year old son Marshall, John (Sean's brother),  who was an assistant head Coach at Richlands High School until moving to GA,  Linda, Sean's mother, and  for Sean's uncle, Jim Hammond, who was a former head football coach at Richlands High School.  

Dalton teacher passes away after battle with COVID-19; Hammond remembered for love of family and children | Local News | dailycitizen.news

Pretty sure that John (his brother) is a poster here.

Very sad indeed.  He was a classmate at RHS (finished a year ahead of me).  One of the funniest human beings I've ever encountered and just a great guy all around.

6 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

"journalistic integrity" seems to be a term of pure nostalgia at this point.  

Honest to goodness journalism died during the Reagan administration when so many policies were deregulated. Which allowed for the creation of CNN and Fox News type programming. It got progressively worse through competition and failed attempts to put the toothpaste back in the tube up to the advent of social media. Social media created an explosion to an extent nobody could have predicted.

At this point, attempts at "journalism" are set aside in an effort to be the first to get a story out. Forgoing traditional methods of sourcing data in responsible ways. Especially when nontraditional news sources like social media often get "news" out well ahead of traditional media outlets. Leaving traditional media outlets scrambling to remain relevant. It's truly a "Catch-22" situation. 

• GMan locked this topic