Scrimmages : Aug 10-14 - updated

VHSLhelper

28 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I'm sure they're no better than they were two years ago

Honestly I have no idea but from looking at 4 seasons it looks like they did beat Paintsville last season and there only 2 losses were to the same team the 2nd on in the state simi-finals.

No idea if this the closer to the team that went 0-5 to Union or the one that was in the state simi last season

54 minutes ago, Counts said:

Honestly I have no idea but from looking at 4 seasons it looks like they did beat Paintsville last season and there only 2 losses were to the same team the 2nd on in the state simi-finals.

No idea if this the closer to the team that went 0-5 to Union or the one that was in the state simi last season

I didn't know they were in the state semifinals last year.  Hard to believe they beat paintsville because they've been terrible for awhile

1 hour ago, Counts said:

If it's closer to the team Union played and RV didn't impress, it could be a long year (although the M7 as a whole isn't very good, an average RV team should be no worse than 3rd or 4th) but if it's closer to that much improved LCC team from last year, RV could have a say in who wins the M7. 

Losing Adkins is a big blow, what are the expectations from the RV crowd coming into this year?

41 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If it's closer to the team Union played and RV didn't impress, it could be a long year (although the M7 as a whole isn't very good, an average RV team should be no worse than 3rd or 4th) but if it's closer to that much improved LCC team from last year, RV could have a say in who wins the M7. 

Losing Adkins is a big blow, what are the expectations from the RV crowd coming into this year?

Losing Adkins was huge on both sides of the ball.  I Think RV will be improved in the passing game I think on D they will be about like last year (I think they only lost 2 starters and got back there #2 tackler from 2019

I am not sure that the M7 has a clear fav but I think RV could be anywhere between 1-4 in the final standing

23 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Virginia High looked really good against Eastside, beating them 11-0 (18 possessions each)

Stevie Thomas had 201 yds and 3 TDs on 8 carries 

Brody Jones threw for 310 yds and 5 TDs

https://www.bearcatsportsnetwork.com/post/eastscrimmage

Stevie is legit! I’ve been praising that kid for a while hopefully he has some players around him so he can really shine and and get some of those end of season awards. If VA high host a playoff game this year he has to be southwest POY at a minimum  

On 8/14/2021 at 8:34 PM, Jags52 said:

Stevie is legit! I’ve been praising that kid for a while hopefully he has some players around him so he can really shine and and get some of those end of season awards. If VA high host a playoff game this year he has to be southwest POY at a minimum  

1 hour ago, Counts said:

Losing Adkins was huge on both sides of the ball.  I Think RV will be improved in the passing game I think on D they will be about like last year (I think they only lost 2 starters and got back there #2 tackler from 2019

I am not sure that the M7 has a clear fav but I think RV could be anywhere between 1-4 in the final standing

I think coming in, Wise and Union are prob the two favs, but RV winning the M7 wouldn't be a huge shocker. New coach finally gets adequate practice time to build a team, that area usually has good talent and the M7 as a whole isn't very good so Ridgeview clicking and being a factor at the end shouldn't be a surprise. RV prob gonna have to be able to stretch the field and work in space, both Union and Central should be pretty good at stopping the run game between the hashes. But if RV has some impact talent at the skill positions, they can attack both teams in space and create problems. 

On the flip side, they gonna have to stop the run. Union seems still behind in their passing game from their first scrimmage, the only real success on offense was behind Lomax on the ground and everyone knows how Wise likes to attack. It's certainly possible RV clicks and ends up something like 8-2 and wins M7. Graham should be the best 2D has to offer but the second place slot seems wide open. There's like five teams that could finish second and none would surprise me.

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I noticed him when Union went over there a few years ago. He is a stud, I feel like if he had a better situation the last couple seasons he would be drawing collegiate interest. He's electric.

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I don’t know anything about Claiborne but happy to see Lee have some success 

Claiborne had a pretty good season last year at 9-2, losing big in the first round of the playoffs. They're usually a 2-3 win team and hadn't won more than 5 games in a season in the previous 9 seasons. Heard some about the class size but in VA they're the same as Lee, not much more students about what Lee was just a few years back.

2 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Va Highs kids aren’t freshman and sophomores anymore. Stevie has a lot more around him than you give credit for. I promise you don’t want to get into a track meet with this team. Coach Crist isn’t roaming the sideline anymore either. 

They got kids that can boogie he is just the center piece that makes everything come together. They should be pretty good this year

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

8-2 or 7-3 I think.  Most think Union is the favorite in the M7 but Central should be the favorites in my opinion

I'd say the only games Union would be a sizable underdog is Graham and Wise, I think it's certainly possible they go 8-2. But the games against Norton, RV and Abingdon could go either way if Bears aren't clicking.  I think 7-3 is prob more realistic but outside of 4-6 or 9-1, nothing would shock me. 

5 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

I promise you don’t want to get into a track meet with this team

Case in point, look at the yardage on their scoring plays (starting on their own 40 each possession):

VHS – Poku 51 pass from Jones

VHS – Stevie Thomas 60 run 

VHS – Poku 60 pass from Jones

VHS – Delaney 17 pass from Jones

VHS – Jones 46 run

VHS – Davidson 50 run

VHS – Taylor 60 run

VHS – Delaney 60 pass from Jones

VHS – Donnie Thomas 60 pass from Jones

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I'd say the only games Union would be a sizable underdog is Graham and Wise, I think it's certainly possible they go 8-2. But the games against Norton, RV and Abingdon could go either way if Bears aren't clicking.  I think 7-3 is prob more realistic but outside of 4-6 or 9-1, nothing would shock me. 

So Abingdon will be down this season?  I thought they would be picked to win the Mtn. 7 again this year.

I see Central, Union, and Ridgeview's games with each other as toss-ups.  I'm hearing GC is improved as well.

5 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Case in point, look at the yardage on their scoring plays (starting on their own 40 each possession):

VHS – Jones 46 run

VHS – Davidson 50 run

VHS – Taylor 60 run

Looks like there wasn't much resistance on the other side of the ball.

I saw LCC play Harlan Co on TV last season, they weren't bad at all. Harlan Co wasn't impressive but LCC physically matched up well against a run heave HC team and had better playmakers. Idk what they returned from that team but they were solid.

9 hours ago, V-Cats said:

VHS – Jones 46 run

VHS – Davidson 50 run

VHS – Taylor 60 run

V-High has some athletes.  It will be interesting to see how they do with a coaching change.

18 hours ago, Counts said:

Is the #2 tackler the Hill kid? How is he looking I know he was injured last year?

9 hours ago, Weatherman said:

So Abingdon will be down this season?  I thought they would be picked to win the Mtn. 7 again this year.

I see Central, Union, and Ridgeview's games with each other as toss-ups.  I'm hearing GC is improved as well.

They could indeed win the M7 but I expect them to take a step back this season. Losing Lucas is a huge blow and then the starting QB getting injured in baseball and missing the season puts them in a tough spot. They may be able to gel and be the best team in the M7 but I figure they may be a little worse this year.