Programs on hold

redtiger

Carroll and Galax are on a 10-day pause. Carroll had a "back to school carnival" on August 5th that has turned out to be a local super-spreader event. Carroll has also reversed course and are now mandating masks for any and all school related functions. Galax School Board voted last night to do the same.

It's not unreasonable to assume several Galax kids went to the Carroll carnival.

It's clear we are not having a normal season and the district titles, region titles, and state titles will all be devalued because it's clear that many of the teams will not be at or near 100 percent or even participating for several key points in the season.  For example, Buckingham not competing last season and a red hot talented King William team cancelling the playoffs last spring. The same is going to happen this year and it just frustrates me.

Galax had one positive case in the program and got put on hold for 10 days,  had absolutely nothing to do with a party that several players supposedly attended that was posted in another thread....Just a rumor that want true!

Radford only had 3 kids on the team test positive.  I was told 1 of those 3 was a false positive, and here we are, one year later, with the vaccine, better knowledge of how to treat, and CDC recommending that we do not have to quarantine simply due to an exposure if vaccinated, and what do we do?  10 day-program shutdown.  It was exactly why I made the post questioning our season and worried about an overreaction from school districts.  Well, the season hasn't even started yet and here we go.  Scrimmage one with Grayson cancelled.  This season, regardless of who gets to watch the game in person will be worse than the spring in my opinion regarding teams competing, cancels, players out, teams halting seasons and not participating, etc.  The thing is, it doesn't have to be this way.  Sad.  

I'm just now reading where Galax only had 1 kid positive.  I don't care if it was a nudist gathering free for all of 5,000 people, 1 kid positive is unfortunate, but an overreaction for just putting the program on hold/shut down for 10 days?  Absolutely it is, and this is where the danger rests in our season.  Over reactions.  It's absolutely absurd that Galax and Radford did this.  Now think about these onezies and twozies with positive infections?  Teams are going to have one or two kids positive throughout the season at least more than a few times.  That's a given.  Are we going to shut down each time?  I hate to be a negative nancy, but I want football, and I'm standing by that post a week ago.  I don't think Virginia will have a high school football season this year when all is said and done.  It will start or get started, but I give it no more than 2-3 weeks tops.  Now, if the programs would go by the CDC recommendations, we would have a season, but you can already see even before the season has started, the deviation or overreaction of some programs.  

From my understanding the local health department in Galax made the call to shut us down for 10 days. I don't have a clue what will go on from here on out.  I'm just hoping for a full season and everyone can stay safe and healthy 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Carroll and Galax are on a 10-day pause. Carroll had a "back to school carnival" on August 5th that has turned out to be a local super-spreader event. Carroll has also reversed course and are now mandating masks for any and all school related functions. Galax School Board voted last night to do the same.

It's not unreasonable to assume several Galax kids went to the Carroll carnival.

10 days? I mean exposure or close contact isn’t just walking by someone or even talking to them for a few minutes outside! CDC states exposure is 15 min or longer in poorly vented room. What are we doing here! 

11 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

From my understanding the local health department in Galax made the call to shut us down for 10 days. I don't have a clue what will go on from here on out.  I'm just hoping for a full season and everyone can stay safe and healthy 

MT FAN 91, unfortunately, everyone is not going to stay safe and healthy.  The virus is going to do what it is going to do from point A to Z and anything we do to slow down the path from A to Z is simply that, it's just slowing down the inevitable.  The infections rate, sick rate, death rate will be the same and we can spread it out over a 2-3 year period, or get it over with and reach Herd immunity by about 8 out of 10 people in the country either being vaccinated or having had the virus.  The virus is obviously to contagious and to easy to transmit.  If our vaccine actually killed the virus/protected completely against transmission, that would put it to a halt and interrupt the A to Z path quickly.  But from what I've read, and it's clear with our kids at Radford, you can be vaccinated and still contract the virus and not only that, you can spread the dang thing while simply having a runny nose.  All 3 kids at Radford who contracted it had been vaccinated.  I'm not a health person, but the more I read about this thing, I'm really beginning to wonder if Sweden got it right.  That is, protect the elderly and vulnerable as much as possible, stay apart from each other best you can, where a mask if you want to, but continue to go to work and go to school because this virus is going from A to Z and we can get there slowly or in its natural course and to end it, get as many people vaxd as possible and unfortunately at the same time, the more people who contract also help reach that Herd threshold.  That's really all I think we can do.

2 minutes ago, GDUB said:

10 days? I mean exposure or close contact isn’t just walking by someone or even talking to them for a few minutes outside! CDC states exposure is 15 min or longer in poorly vented room. What are we doing here! 

CDC says exposure doesn't require quarantine if you have had the vax.  You can kiss, hug, have sex with someone who has a raging bout of Covid (if they feel up to it) and if you have been vaxd, you do not need to quarantine.  You would need to be tested in 3-5 days.  That's it.  Nothing more according to CDC.

25 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Radford only had 3 kids on the team test positive.  I was told 1 of those 3 was a false positive, and here we are, one year later, with the vaccine, better knowledge of how to treat, and CDC recommending that we do not have to quarantine simply due to an exposure if vaccinated, and what do we do?  10 day-program shutdown.  It was exactly why I made the post questioning our season and worried about an overreaction from school districts.  Well, the season hasn't even started yet and here we go.  Scrimmage one with Grayson cancelled.  This season, regardless of who gets to watch the game in person will be worse than the spring in my opinion regarding teams competing, cancels, players out, teams halting seasons and not participating, etc.  The thing is, it doesn't have to be this way.  Sad.  

I'm just now reading where Galax only had 1 kid positive.  I don't care if it was a nudist gathering free for all of 5,000 people, 1 kid positive is unfortunate, but an overreaction for just putting the program on hold/shut down for 10 days?  Absolutely it is, and this is where the danger rests in our season.  Over reactions.  It's absolutely absurd that Galax and Radford did this.  Now think about these onezies and twozies with positive infections?  Teams are going to have one or two kids positive throughout the season at least more than a few times.  That's a given.  Are we going to shut down each time?  I hate to be a negative nancy, but I want football, and I'm standing by that post a week ago.  I don't think Virginia will have a high school football season this year when all is said and done.  It will start or get started, but I give it no more than 2-3 weeks tops.  Now, if the programs would go by the CDC recommendations, we would have a season, but you can already see even before the season has started, the deviation or overreaction of some programs.  

Not sure why kids  even getting tested? No therapeutic if sick stay home! 

1 minute ago, GDUB said:

Guess we all will have to move to red states to play football. Not to get political. 

I personally don't feel it's a political thing at the local level.  Maybe it is, but I don't see it.  I think it's just poor decision making in the form of, "I'm worried about legal action if I don't respond aggressively."  School officials are going far beyond what the CDC is recommending and this was my worry about this season.  It only takes a few to do so, then others will follow in line because they will want to be in "common practice" with what other school boards/officials/health depts did when the situation happens to them.

3 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Most kids are not getting the vaccine. 

At Radford, we had all but 7 vaxd on our team as of a week ago.  2 of the 7 who weren't vaxd had already had the virus in the past, so that basically means we have 5 left.  That's a pretty good ratio of total kids vax or having had the virus compared to not.  

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

I personally don't feel it's a political thing at the local level.  Maybe it is, but I don't see it.  I think it's just poor decision making in the form of, "I'm worried about legal action if I don't respond aggressively."  School officials are going far beyond what the CDC is recommending and this was my worry about this season.  It only takes a few to do so, then others will follow in line because they will want to be in "common practice" with what other school boards/officials/health depts did when the situation happens to them.

I’m just saying red states aren’t testing or quarantining 

From what I have hear Mr. Ralph is not handing down any mandates as far as COVID is concerned like he did last year because it is an election year and does not want to piss anyone off (too late for all that IMO). VHSL is probably have broke from the condensed playoffs last year and they are not going to mandate anything because they need that $$. So each school district will make their own decision as far as who sits out and who shuts down each program. If you team is in a school district that love athletics you should be fine. If not then well.. its going to be al long year. 

4 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

From what I have hear Mr. Ralph is not handing down any mandates as far as COVID is concerned like he did last year because it is an election year and does not want to piss anyone off (too late for all that IMO). 

Northam is not on the ballot. 

36 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

At Radford, we had all but 7 vaxd on our team as of a week ago.  2 of the 7 who weren't vaxd had already had the virus in the past, so that basically means we have 5 left.  That's a pretty good ratio of total kids vax or having had the virus compared to not.  

Majority of the kids in the Galax program haven't been vaccinated form my understanding but I could be wrong about that.

A few other notable programs on hold at the moment -

Garden Green Dragons

Whitewood Indians

Ervinton Rebels

Haysi Tigers

Clintwood Green Wave

Pocahontas Indians

Raven Crimson Tide

Let's hope these teams get back on the gridiron soon!

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

From what I have hear Mr. Ralph is not handing down any mandates as far as COVID is concerned like he did last year because it is an election year and does not want to piss anyone off (too late for all that IMO). VHSL is probably have broke from the condensed playoffs last year and they are not going to mandate anything because they need that $$. So each school district will make their own decision as far as who sits out and who shuts down each program. If you team is in a school district that love athletics you should be fine. If not then well.. its going to be al long year. 

Ralph said all schools had to offer classes in school 5 days a week as of now and follow CDC guidelines and if they didn't they should seek legal counsel.