Doug Hubbard

Tigers_07

I'm sure everyone on here knows that this season is Doug Hubbard's last season as Honaker's Head Coach. 39 years as the boss for the Tigers. what is everyone's favorite moment/game that comes to you when you think of Doug Hubbard

No specific memory (there are 4-5 Haysi wins that im partial to lol) I just remember Honaker as a physical, aggressive, and well prepared team EVERY SINGLE TIME they stepped on the field. Says a lot for the man 

That Haysi & Honaker rivalry in my opinion is the best rivalry in Southwest VA. So much rode on that game back in the day. The looser would sometimes finish the season 9-1 or 8-2 and missed the playoffs all cause of a bad playoff system. Seeing Hubbard and Colley go at it all those years has produced some great memories!

• 2 months later...

Any word on who is going to be the next Honaker Head Coach. whoever it is, they have big shoes to fill. anyone on here agree or disagree that one day Doug Hubbard's name will be called to be in the VHSL Hall of Fame

1 hour ago, Tigers_07 said:

Any word on who is going to be the next Honaker Head Coach. whoever it is, they have big shoes to fill. anyone on here agree or disagree that one day Doug Hubbard's name will be called to be in the VHSL Hall of Fame

Whether he makes the Hall of Fame or not is politics! He never one a state title in football and it does matter to the people picking. If he does get in it may take several years to do so, there are plenty of worthy candidates for consideration but they don't let everyone in. I hope for his sake and Honaker's he does get in, but it's far from automatic.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Whether he makes the Hall of Fame or not is politics! He never one a state title in football and it does matter to the people picking. If he does get in it may take several years to do so, there are plenty of worthy candidates for consideration but they don't let everyone in. I hope for his sake and Honaker's he does get in, but it's far from automatic.

Donnie Qualls is a great example.   He the the Dean of SWVA volleyball for a long time.  First coach to lead Region D to a state title.  Sixth all time in wins currently in the state and still hasn't been inducted.  I will look at the VHSL Hall of Fame as a joke until the day he is in there.

54 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Donnie Qualls is a great example.   He the the Dean of SWVA volleyball for a long time.  First coach to lead Region D to a state title.  Sixth all time in wins currently in the state and still hasn't been inducted.  I will look at the VHSL Hall of Fame as a joke until the day he is in there.

Gate City has five people in the Hall of Fame. (Fry, Colobro, Reed, Tara Sheets and Jeff Baker) and have a chance for at least 2 more (McClung and Vermillion) it is all politics and PR. I know Kevin Morris has been nominated twice and just couldn't get enough support from the people outside of SW Virginia. The person as to have almost instant name recognition just to garner the attention needed!

On 8/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, Tigers_07 said:

I'm sure everyone on here knows that this season is Doug Hubbard's last season as Honaker's Head Coach. 39 years as the boss for the Tigers. what is everyone's favorite moment/game that comes to you when you think of Doug Hubbard

Special Coach, Special Man, Special Person.  The world needs a lot more Doug Hubbards.  Special place up above with the football Gods for a guy like Hubbard when his number's called.