Fall 2021 Covid "moves"

VHSLhelper

Yep, I think the season is all but over.  Hate to be a negative nancy, but it's just not going to work.  I would rather not have a season than go through what we did in the spring again.  From a player's perspective, I would surely want any kind of season no matter how muffled up it is.  But as a fan, it's just not there for me.  The reason it's messed up for me is that the winners and losers aren't getting the other teams "bests."  Whether its lack of preparation due to Covid and coming into a game with few or limited practices, or certain players out with Covid, and having Covid mess a team up only once in the regular season which is enough to shift the power points ratings away from their favor in the favor of another team for home field position, etc.  It's tainted to me.  For example, with Radford, the opener with George Wythe is already featuring at least one team (Radford) not at its best.  We have lost so many days and now scrimmage time to prepare that it's just not the same.  This applies to so many other teams across the state.  Take for example, Graham.  Already minus one scrimmage and a key scrimmage as Ridgeview is a valuable one to prepare for Bluefield and added to that, the lost practices.   This means Graham playing Bluefield is automatically not at 100%, and lets say the game is decided by 3 points.  And, lets say Graham never suffers the Covid bug for the rest of the season, but that one game, that one moment or Covid issue in preparation for Bluefield could be the difference as to whether a Graham team is hosting in the region or even against Appo if it wins the region, or is traveling, etc.  It matters, so for me, I'm still going to watch my local team and support the kids and attend, but not nearly as vested this year.  It's just not the same.  

5 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Yep, I think the season is all but over.  Hate to be a negative nancy, but it's just not going to work.  I would rather not have a season than go through what we did in the spring again.  From a player's perspective, I would surely want any kind of season no matter how muffled up it is.  But as a fan, it's just not there for me.  The reason it's messed up for me is that the winners and losers aren't getting the other teams "bests."  Whether its lack of preparation due to Covid and coming into a game with few or limited practices, or certain players out with Covid, and having Covid mess a team up only once in the regular season which is enough to shift the power points ratings away from their favor in the favor of another team for home field position, etc.  It's tainted to me.  For example, with Radford, the opener with George Wythe is already featuring at least one team (Radford) not at its best.  We have lost so many days and now scrimmage time to prepare that it's just not the same.  This applies to so many other teams across the state.  Take for example, Graham.  Already minus one scrimmage and a key scrimmage as Ridgeview is a valuable one to prepare for Bluefield and added to that, the lost practices.   This means Graham playing Bluefield is automatically not at 100%, and lets say the game is decided by 3 points.  And, lets say Graham never suffers the Covid bug for the rest of the season, but that one game, that one moment or Covid issue in preparation for Bluefield could be the difference as to whether a Graham team is hosting in the region or even against Appo if it wins the region, or is traveling, etc.  It matters, so for me, I'm still going to watch my local team and support the kids and attend, but not nearly as vested this year.  It's just not the same.  

I get what you are saying but for the kids sake I hope they get to play. From what I have seen recently this variant of Covid seems to be spreading quicker than a stomach bug on your first stay back to school after Christmas break. Fingers crossed 🤞 its out of here as fast as it came. 

Had planned to see Fort Pierce Westwood v St Lucie West Centennial next Thursday in the season opener, but it was canceled today. Hopefully, Cocoa v Vero Beach will still play on Friday.

6 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Is it gonna be like if Union plays Lee and they have a positive does Union also have to quarantine the next week.  If so they'll be weeks where no one plays

Last year when Graham had a positive case over the weekend after playing Tazewell. Tazewell didn’t have to quarantine, only Graham.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Last year when Graham had a positive case over the weekend after playing Tazewell. Tazewell didn’t have to quarantine, only Graham.

Was that because he was a JV player and didn't play? Idk. Just wondering if he had played x amount time would Tazewell have to quarantine too??

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Was that because he was a JV player and didn't play? Idk. Just wondering if he had played x amount time would Tazewell have to quarantine too??

No clue but truthfully, he wasn’t even in much contact with our varsity yet they still had to quarantine. 

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

No clue but truthfully, he wasn’t even in much contact with our varsity yet they still had to quarantine. 

its all made up as we go. no real structure or  reasons why they do stuff. its just do as i say and dont ask why!!!

Just saw on twitter: Christiansburg HS vs. Floyd Co HS was pushed from Friday night to Saturday at noon.....not sure if this was covid related or what; cant see how a matter of hours would make a difference if it was covid. 

2 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

Just saw on twitter: Christiansburg HS vs. Floyd Co HS was pushed from Friday night to Saturday at noon.....not sure if this was covid related or what; cant see how a matter of hours would make a difference if it was covid. 

just a guess but it probably has more to do with ref availability 

Maybe so or maybe a team had to quarantine and their last day is Friday and so trying to get it in on Saturday vs. moving it to another week.

Christiansburg @ Floyd will now be at 7pm on Saturday. I don’t believe it has anything to do with COVID. From what I’ve heard, a combination of giving the field 24 more hours to dry from recent saturation and taking some pressure off of the referees association to provide referees for the game. 

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Christiansburg @ Floyd will now be at 7pm on Saturday. I don’t believe it has anything to do with COVID. From what I’ve heard, a combination of giving the field 24 more hours to dry from recent saturation and taking some pressure off of the referees association to provide referees for the game. 

I think the referees are already short staffed. If one or more has to quarantine it will definitely make things complicated. 

57 minutes ago, redtiger said:

just a guess but it probably has more to do with ref availability 

I sure this is the case. I know the the Marion Northwood game was moved to a Thursday because of the ref shortage

• VHSLhelper featured and unfeatured this topic