Fall 2021 Covid "moves"

VHSLhelper

53 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Back on track here...What I heard again from a reliable source, was that yes GW offered for Sat with the requirement of masks be worn.  Graham said no to that and wanted to wait until Mon when that mandate was lifted and GW said no. So...

That's a lie!! I talked to the board of health here in Wythe and mask mandate is over Friday! GW wanted to play Monday according to GW AD and graham said no which I cant blame them since they have their biggest game of the year coming up Friday. trust me I've  begged our AD to play Saturday but they wont and they knew graham would turn down Monday. The excuse I got was 2 practices were not enough to get ready but seems like every other school 2 days is plenty whos dealing with covid. If you really want to play 2 days is fine.

56 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Don't know the exact details but just telling what I was told.  Said it was the Wythe Co health dept that had mandated that.

If so, that’s a bit overkill since the team has had no new cases to my knowledge. 

10 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

That's a lie!! I talked to the board of health here in Wythe and mask mandate is over Friday! GW wanted to play Monday according to GW AD and graham said no which I cant blame them since they have their biggest game of the year coming up Friday. trust me I've  begged our AD to play Saturday but they wont and they knew graham would turn down Monday. The excuse I got was 2 practices were not enough to get ready but seems like every other school 2 days is plenty whos dealing with covid. If you really want to play 2 days is fine.

I didn't even know there was a mandate in place.  Sure couldn't tell it from anywhere.  Even if true most people would have just ignored it anyway.

You are right on the part of Graham saying no on Monday with Bluefield coming up.  

There is going to be lots of excuses made this year from every single team out there.  Easy out for a game.  Maybe next year we can focus on football again without unnecessary distractions of will we play or what if?

Side note...How is it any different in playing Friday night then again on Tues???

Just now, stu_bean said:

I didn't even know there was a mandate in place.  Sure couldn't tell it from anywhere.  Even if true most people would have just ignored it anyway.

You are right on the part of Graham saying no on Monday with Bluefield coming up.  

There is going to be lots of excuses made this year from every single team out there.  Easy out for a game.  Maybe next year we can focus on football again without unnecessary distractions of will we play or what if?

Side note...How is it any different in playing Friday night then again on Tues???

GW is playing 3 games in 7 days. 15,19, and 22 lol 

6 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

If I ever hear someone question Thomas Walker's weak out of district schedule again, just read this statement above. We are dammed if we schedule teams around us that are weak and we are dammed if we schedule teams that are strong. Hell, we are lucky if any team around us wants to schedule a H/A series. Get over yourself and thank us for the #1 seed you will receive in the state semi from our powerpoints. 

Umm, ok??

I've never questioned Thomas Walker's or any other team's schedule. Don't really care what their schedule looks like, BUT I do care about Union's. I would love for the Bears to be the #1 seed come playoff time, but points are irrelevant if they aren't prepared for the playoffs. This year, I wish we didn't play Lee, Battle or GC, but we have to because they are in our district. Union has a very real chance to compete for a state championship this year. Playing teams that don't challenge them does nothing to help them on that endeavor.

Kudos to TW for playing Union. If I were a Pioneer fan, I'd be excited for that challenge just like Bear fans were excited to play Mo West and Paintsville (not the being in KY aspect) in the past. You have to look at this game from our perspective, I'm not complaining about TW's schedule, I'm complaining about Union's.

TW has improved the last few years, and is having a good season this year, but they are no more prepared to compete in 2A than Union is to compete in 4A. I wish TW nothing but the best. Just wish we were playing Elizabethton, Crockett or someone that would better prepare us for Appomattox and a rematch with Graham.

25 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

GW is playing 3 games in 7 days. 15,19, and 22 lol 

Good luck! That’s a bit crazy but at least they’re playing;  not much prep time between games.  Thanks for trying to get GW to play Graham on Saturday. Hopefully, next year will be more normal & teams can’t take advantage of Covid to cancel games they don’t want to play. 

Galax JV and Varsity in quarantine. This week is a bye. Hosting Fort Chiswell on October 8, which will be the 10th day. I expect that game to be pushed back to Saturday the 9th but that’s my opinion. Nothing official yet. 

23 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

When did varsity get quarantined? They were not as of this morning for film and lifting but that could've changed by now with the way things are going.

I heard it yesterday morning from a parent in my office. Didn’t take it too seriously. Then both my daughters came home with the same story yesterday afternoon. 

It sounds like it might be something they are doing in-house as a precautionary measure since it’s a bye week. Just keeping the kids away from the other students. If that’s the case, it’s a smart thing to do. 

They practiced yesterday afternoon and went to workout this morning,  I do know a lot of the jv kids got quarantined yesterday and that maybe that's what people are talking about but like I said that could've changed by now. I should know for sure shortly.

18 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I heard George Wythe offered to play Monday night of next week. What? GW planning on practicing Saturday & Sunday. I guess they wanted to appear cooperative since they’re getting blasted on here and probably by some of their own folks I would imagine. Graham plays Bluefield Friday. I’m no coach but I wouldn’t play GW Monday after offering to play Saturday when I have to prepare for Bluefield. You want your boys to play every game possible but not two games the week you play Bluefield. I’m like you, once contract is fulfilled, find another team. 💯 %, done! 

Graham already had a JV game scheduled for Monday also.

3 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

If I ever hear someone question Thomas Walker's weak out of district schedule again, just read this statement above. We are dammed if we schedule teams around us that are weak and we are dammed if we schedule teams that are strong. Hell, we are lucky if any team around us wants to schedule a H/A series. Get over yourself and thank us for the #1 seed you will receive in the state semi from our powerpoints. 

Were questioning Union schedule not TW this game will not prepare us for the playoffs at all.  I may be wrong but this will be the 4th game out of 5 that our starters will be done by halftime

4 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

Just accept in your heart that no one respects TW and until they are truly good(as in that they can hang with anyone in the region) no one will. Theyre a ok 1A team, nothing inherently wrong with that.  

Kudos to them for playing Union, it will help them get better, but I fully understand Union fans not being happy with the game, I also understand Coach Turner not wanting to travel to KY(under any circumstance) or 1 hour+ into TN to play a school 2x the size of Union 

5 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

I’ve given y’all props for the substantial schedule upgrade, and I’ll do it again.  Dropped some of the EKY cupcakes, and I think it’ll make you tougher come playoff time.  Region D is so wide open this year.  Hope you all can make some noise.

23 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Were questioning Union schedule not TW this game will not prepare us for the playoffs at all.  I may be wrong but this will be the 4th game out of 5 that our starters will be done by halftime

I believe some of the Union fans are over analyzing a bit! Nothing wrong with a cupcake considering the games coming up on their schedule! They’ve got Rv and Central back to back and still have to play Abingdon. I mean it seems to work for Nick Sabin! 

15 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I believe some of the Union fans are over analyzing a bit! Nothing wrong with a cupcake considering the games coming up on their schedule! They’ve got Rv and Central back to back and still have to play Abingdon. I mean it seems to work for Nick Sabin! 

Graham is the only game we've played starters in 2nd half so far so it's been cupcakes all season.  But your right it's about to get tougher

Twin Springs @ Castlewood is off

Rye Cove @ Eastside (HC) is a FFT by Rye

Lebanon @ Castlewood - moved from Thur O14 to Sat O16 @ 1:00

Northwood @ Honaker - moved from Fri O29 to Thur O28

Honaker @ Twin Valley - moved from Tues N2 to Wed N3

James River @ Floyd Co. - moved from Fri O15 to Thur O14 @ 6:00

Martinsville @ Tunstall - moved from Fri O15 & Sat O16 to Mon O25

James Monroe @ Covington on N2 looks to be PPD 

59 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

Twin Springs @ Castlewood is off

Rye Cove @ Eastside (HC) is a FFT by Rye

Lebanon @ Castlewood - moved from Thur O14 to Sat O16 @ 1:00

Northwood @ Honaker - moved from Fri O29 to Thur O28

Honaker @ Twin Valley - moved from Tues N2 to Wed N3

James River @ Floyd Co. - moved from Fri O15 to Thur O14 @ 6:00

Martinsville @ Tunstall - moved from Fri O15 & Sat O16 to Mon O25

James Monroe @ Covington on N2 looks to be PPD 

oh, so eastside and twin springs need a game?

46 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

#1 seed not a lock just yet if Ridgeview runs the table

I don't think any seed in any region in any class is a lock at this point with the  Covid crap shoot of a season. Lucky is the team that hasn't had players  quarantined, missed a game, or had practice shutdown completely. We could end up without the best teams making a deep run  depending on how things shake out with quarantines, shutdowns, etc.  the next few weeks. It's truly up in the air. A team could think they're playing all week long & then get cancelled or postponed on a Thursday.  Crazy , frustrating season!