Fall 2021 Covid "moves"

VHSLhelper

1 minute ago, gwloyal said:

A coworker of mine from Hillsville was telling me about Gosnell a few weeks back....I thought he was FOS lol

Of course, I've found out otherwise since. I can't make all the games, but that's damn sure one I won't miss now. 

When’s the last time anyone thought a Carroll County football game was “can’t miss?”

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

When’s the last time anyone thought a Carroll County football game was “can’t miss?”

I actually remember.

A few of us skipped a GW game to go see Richlands/Carroll in Hillsville. Richlands (I believe) was undefeated and hadn't given up a defensive touchdown. Carroll had their best squad in years, and I recall had a kicker recruited by Tech. It was 7-0 Richlands with seconds to go, and Carroll hit a miracle TD with seconds to play. Their highly coveted kicker....

missed.

Richlands 7 Carroll 6 was the final. 

Don't ask me the year....I couldn't tell you lol! Mid to late 2000's if I had to guess. 

19 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

I actually remember.

A few of us skipped a GW game to go see Richlands/Carroll in Hillsville. Richlands (I believe) was undefeated and hadn't given up a defensive touchdown. Carroll had their best squad in years, and I recall had a kicker recruited by Tech. It was 7-0 Richlands with seconds to go, and Carroll hit a miracle TD with seconds to play. Their highly coveted kicker....

missed.

Richlands 7 Carroll 6 was the final. 

Don't ask me the year....I couldn't tell you lol! Mid to late 2000's if I had to guess. 

05 I believe. 

4 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

Now that right there!!!  That is an old school Region 4 Blast from the Past.   If I were to attend this game, I would feel 30 years younger.  Lets go back to the early 90's where the Golden Wave I think, whipped the Indians (Bruins now) not one but two times.  

16 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Now that right there!!!  That is an old school Region 4 Blast from the Past.   If I were to attend this game, I would feel 30 years younger.  Lets go back to the early 90's where the Golden Wave I think, whipped the Indians (Bruins now) not one but two times.  

You're telling your age lol!

Sounds like we might have played against each other in the NRD days 

Yep, GW and B-Burg go back to the 1950's and up through the late 80's in the NRD.    I think the last time they played would have been somewhere around 1988, maybe even up to 90-91, but regular battles on and off from as early as the 50's.

7 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Yep, GW and B-Burg go back to the 1950's and up through the late 80's in the NRD.    I think the last time they played would have been somewhere around 1988, maybe even up to 90-91, but regular battles on and off from as early as the 50's.

1989. You guys beat us 19-3 to snap a losing skid on your way to the 2A championship highlighted by Jerome Tressell and Jared Hamlin. I might have been there lol

Those 16 points yall got off of us on turnovers in the 2nd qtr killed us. 

1 minute ago, gwloyal said:

1989. You guys beat us 19-3 to snap a losing skid on your way to the 2A championship highlighted by Jerome Tressell and Jared Hamlin. I might have been there lol

Those 16 points yall got off of us on turnovers in the 2nd qtr killed us. 

Wow, you got a memory GWloyal. That 89 Blacksburg team went on to shock the Salem Spartans in the playoffs which were highly favored to win the Div 4 State Title with Steve Megenbauer at Quarterback.  We (Radford) lost a vicious battle against the Graham G-Men in the playoffs at the Div 3 level.  Graham beat us twice that year.  Graham was something else that year and won the state title in Div 3 back the, and Graham beat Blacksburg something like 26 to nothing in regular season, of course that Blacksburg team went on to win the Div 4 state title. 

3 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Wow, you got a memory GWloyal. That 89 Blacksburg team went on to shock the Salem Spartans in the playoffs which were highly favored to win the Div 4 State Title with Steve Megenbauer at Quarterback.  We (Radford) lost a vicious battle against the Graham G-Men in the playoffs at the Div 3 level.  Graham beat us twice that year.  Graham was something else that year and won the state title in Div 3 back the, and Graham beat Blacksburg something like 26 to nothing in regular season, of course that Blacksburg team went on to win the Div 4 state title. 

Blacksburg really caught stride in the second half of the season and never looked back. They beat Courtland in the final, right? 

Now Radford? They beat the living tar outta us in 89 lol! I don't remember the score that night but they hung 40+ on us. Lewis Ramsey, Chad Phillips, Ritchie Delany, and Maceo Dickinson I distinctly remember from that squad. Ramsey was disgustingly quick at DE. 

Side note: One of the best HS football games I ever saw was in 91 with that Radford team headlined by Tommy Edwards going against a Jefferson Forest team with Byron Spinner and a sophomore Anthony Poindexter. Unreal game. Everyone on the school grounds knew that Edwards was getting the ball in the 2nd half, and JF still couldn't stop him after building that 21-0 lead. Raddy pushed it to OT only to have Edwards finally stopped at the 1 yard line on 4th down to seal the game. 

1 hour ago, gwloyal said:

That sounds about right with what I'm thinking! Thank you my friend.. 

Helluva ball game!

Yes it was. I was a sophomore that season in the band. I remember us being fairly decent favorites and everyone was shocked at how well Carroll’s D played. And man the Richlands side got dead silent on that touchdown. Everyone knew that kicker was gonna make the XP. Dude had legit D1 hype. Never been so shocked at a kick lol. 

28 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yes it was. I was a sophomore that season in the band. I remember us being fairly decent favorites and everyone was shocked at how well Carroll’s D played. And man the Richlands side got dead silent on that touchdown. Everyone knew that kicker was gonna make the XP. Dude had legit D1 hype. Never been so shocked at a kick lol. 

A couple of weeks after that game, I heard a story that the VT coaches/scouts/whatever were up in the press box for that game. As soon as he missed that kick, they packed up everything and left. One was supposedly overheard saying "He'll never kick for us"

Now I don't know if that story is true or not. No idea. But one thing about that I knew for certain a few years later....He never did kick for VT lol 

48 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

Blacksburg really caught stride in the second half of the season and never looked back. They beat Courtland in the final, right? 

Now Radford? They beat the living tar outta us in 89 lol! I don't remember the score that night but they hung 40+ on us. Lewis Ramsey, Chad Phillips, Ritchie Delany, and Maceo Dickinson I distinctly remember from that squad. Ramsey was disgustingly quick at DE. 

Side note: One of the best HS football games I ever saw was in 91 with that Radford team headlined by Tommy Edwards going against a Jefferson Forest team with Byron Spinner and a sophomore Anthony Poindexter. Unreal game. Everyone on the school grounds knew that Edwards was getting the ball in the 2nd half, and JF still couldn't stop him after building that 21-0 lead. Raddy pushed it to OT only to have Edwards finally stopped at the 1 yard line on 4th down to seal the game. 

Yes for Blacksburg over Courtland.  In 1989, we, Radford, might have been the 2nd best team in the state in Div 3 behind Graham  A guy on our team in addition to Ramsey and the ones you named were Cary Caldwell, a first team All State do every WR, Slot, RB, and Defensive Back.  Cary was a close friend of mine  He walked on at William and Mary and started every game in his 4 year career there and was a Div 1, AA, All American his senior year.  I remember 91 as well with JF.  

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

Yes for Blacksburg over Courtland.  In 1989, we, Radford, might have been the 2nd best team in the state in Div 3 behind Graham  A guy on our team in addition to Ramsey and the ones you named were Cary Caldwell, a first team All State do every WR, Slot, RB, and Defensive Back.  Cary was a close friend of mine  He walked on at William and Mary and started every game in his 4 year career there and was a Div 1, AA, All American his senior year.  I remember 91 as well with JF.  

2 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Ah, I do remember him. Yes, he was a damn good one as well. 

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

You must have us confused with someone else... we were 0-5 against the tribe. I was at that last meeting at Bill Brown... 41-6 in the playoffs. UGH

• VHSLhelper featured and unfeatured this topic