Graham - Bluefield

Real Sasquatch

7 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

That's crazy on that part.  From that stand point where does it benefit anyone to get the vax?  Who is the one that came up with that policy since that goes against what the CDC says?

CDC GUIDELINES FOR FULLY VACCINATED

• Wear a mask in public indoor settings if they are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
    • Fully vaccinated people might choose to mask regardless of the level of transmission, particularly if they or someone in their household is immunocompromised or at increased risk for severe disease, or if someone in their household is unvaccinated. People who are at increased risk for severe disease include older adults and those who have certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, overweight or obesity, and heart conditions.
  • Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • If you came into close contact with someone with COVID-19 get tested 3-5 days after the date of your exposure and wear a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days after exposure or until a negative test result.
  • Isolate if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • Follow any applicable federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations.  

The problem comes with the last bullet point.  Follow any applicable local........  Here, the CDC is deferring which basically gives an individual county health department to be even more strict, requiring more strict guidelines.   Now think about this for a minute.  Do you think the Radford City Health Department has more research, more data, and active research team with scientists and PhD's continuously in the mix with Covid?  Or, do you think the CDC is clearly better able to handle the recommendations on Covid?  I think the CDC is the clear winner, so for a local health department to have more strict guidelines is beyond reasonable.  It's crazy man.

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

CDC GUIDELINES FOR FULLY VACCINATED

• Wear a mask in public indoor settings if they are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
    • Fully vaccinated people might choose to mask regardless of the level of transmission, particularly if they or someone in their household is immunocompromised or at increased risk for severe disease, or if someone in their household is unvaccinated. People who are at increased risk for severe disease include older adults and those who have certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, overweight or obesity, and heart conditions.
  • Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • If you came into close contact with someone with COVID-19 get tested 3-5 days after the date of your exposure and wear a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days after exposure or until a negative test result.
  • Isolate if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • Follow any applicable federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations.  

The problem comes with the last bullet point.  Follow any applicable local........  Here, the CDC is deferring which basically gives an individual county health department to be even more strict, requiring more strict guidelines.   Now think about this for a minute.  Do you think the Radford City Health Department has more research, more data, and active research team with scientists and PhD's continuously in the mix with Covid?  Or, do you think the CDC is clearly better able to handle the recommendations on Covid?  I think the CDC is the clear winner, so for a local health department to have more strict guidelines is beyond reasonable.  It's crazy man.

We had a mini outbreak in a dept here at work and two of the vaxxed ones were positive and they were out from work because they did test positive.  Others that were exposed to them either had to go home due to not having the shot or they stayed here if they did.  Unfortunanlty I acquired the nasty little virus during that time.  With my job I am in contact with lots of people.  Those that were unvaxxed got to spend 10 days at home and those that had the shot never missed a beat here.  Why should the school system be any different? 

2 hours ago, GDUB said:

you are wrong with it being apple to oranges research is based on per 100,000 per population not just arbitrary numbers as you would like it to be.  people get sick every day. it started as deaths then hospitalizations and now cases. When do the goal post stop moving? what is your number that you would feel comfortable with pertaining to covid cases, zero? well sorry to say it will never be zero for cases in our lifetime. its virus and virus will virus.  people die everyday of something that could have been prevented more easily that covid. most people who have been dying of covid in America are diabetic and over weight, maybe the government should make it mandatory to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle while we are at it im yet to hear this.  people know the risk and its their life they should be able to make an informed  and educated decision for themselves. people should stop trying to parent others kids or others in general. if people are worried and scared they should stay home and protect themselves.as for rest we should go out and live. because what we are doing now is not living. why test if no symptoms? their is no therapeutic for this so if sick and not feeling well or showing symptoms  just stay home if breathing becomes an issue then go to hospital. Follow the obama plan when the swine flu happened in 2009 there were 75.000,000 cases. we are just half way there with covid at 38,000,000 he said stop testing its a pandemic. if sick stay home other than that live your life.  

You’re clearly missing my point, and honestly, it’s not worth the fight, man. 

2 hours ago, GDUB said:

you are wrong with it being apple to oranges research is based on per 100,000 per population not just arbitrary numbers as you would like it to be.  people get sick every day. it started as deaths then hospitalizations and now cases. When do the goal post stop moving? what is your number that you would feel comfortable with pertaining to covid cases, zero? well sorry to say it will never be zero for cases in our lifetime. its virus and virus will virus.  people die everyday of something that could have been prevented more easily that covid. most people who have been dying of covid in America are diabetic and over weight, maybe the government should make it mandatory to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle while we are at it im yet to hear this.  people know the risk and its their life they should be able to make an informed  and educated decision for themselves. people should stop trying to parent others kids or others in general. if people are worried and scared they should stay home and protect themselves.as for rest we should go out and live. because what we are doing now is not living. why test if no symptoms? their is no therapeutic for this so if sick and not feeling well or showing symptoms  just stay home if breathing becomes an issue then go to hospital. Follow the obama plan when the swine flu happened in 2009 there were 75.000,000 cases. we are just half way there with covid at 38,000,000 he said stop testing its a pandemic. if sick stay home other than that live your life.  

Forget the whole Sweden reference, which is a ridiculous Apples:Oranges comparison on multiple different levels that I don't have time to discuss in full detail.  It's funny that you accuse Ryan of moving goalposts, then you literally do exactly that by comparing this to swine flu.  But since it submarines your entire argument, I'm happy to play that game.

The 2009 swine flu killed 12,649 people among those 75,000,000 people affected.  

COVID-19 has killed 631,000 people among those 38,200,000 infected.  As a point of reference, that's not too far away from the total number that AIDS has killed in the U.S. in the last 40 years.

COVID-19 is roughly 100 times more deadly than the swine flu.  Using that as any justifiable comparison for policy's sake is patently idiotic.

Graham has 5 Covid cases with 70 quarantined. Thats according to the Superintendent. Why Mercer County was releasing covid numbers for Graham is beyond me. Honestly 5 is less than I thought we had. If we shut down practices and games for 5 cases we might as well piss on the fire and call in the dogs on this football season.

I believe Sweden has handled the situation better than we have but it hasnt been without their own struggles. Closing their borders is an interesting subject as many were outraged when Trump attempted to stop travel from China. Not trying to spar over politics, just pointing out how politics got mixed intertwined with the pandemic and some rational ideas became controversial for political gain. I firmly believe we could have and should have handled the situation better but got in our own way.

And while using percentages to compare the US outbreak to Sweden's its only fair to acknowledge their overall population compared to ours. Its not apples to oranges but it isnt exactly the same either.

I believe and have believed since April/May (whenever we started getting a look at statistics here in the US) that we are all at some point going to catch Covid. Its inevitable imo. The key is and always has been to slow the spread, not protect everyone from contraction.  

32 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Graham has 5 Covid cases with 70 quarantined. Thats according to the Superintendent. Why Mercer County was releasing covid numbers for Graham is beyond me. Honestly 5 is less than I thought we had. If we shut down practices and games for 5 cases we might as well piss on the fire and call in the dogs on this football season.

Mercer County's official motto is "When in doubt, blame it on someone else".  It was ethically irresponsible and egregious for Mercer's school board to release plainly false numbers like that.

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Mercer County's official motto is "When in doubt, blame it on someone else".  It was ethically irresponsible and egregious for Mercer's school board to release plainly false numbers like that.

WVVA finally pulled the story with the misleading numbers. Imagine the chaos that caused at the central office and the HS.

35 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I believe Sweden has handled the situation better than we have but it hasnt been without their own struggles. Closing their borders is an interesting subject as many were outraged when Trump attempted to stop travel from China. Not trying to spar over politics, just pointing out how politics got mixed intertwined with the pandemic and some rational ideas became controversial for political gain. I firmly believe we could have and should have handled the situation better but got in our own way.

And while using percentages to compare the US outbreak to Sweden's its only fair to acknowledge their overall population compared to ours. Its not apples to oranges but it isnt exactly the same either.

I believe and have believed since April/May (whenever we started getting a look at statistics here in the US) that we are all at some point going to catch Covid. Its inevitable imo. The key is and always has been to slow the spread, not protect everyone from contraction.  

I know this.  Sweden sure does have some fine looking women up that way, so keeping em quarantined is wrong!

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

WVVA finally pulled the story with the misleading numbers. Imagine the chaos that caused at the central office and the HS.

Enough of one that it prompted Chris Stacy to issue a statement correcting the information. How many calls do you think they’ve answered since last night’s broadcast? 

35 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

My gatorade tastes like anti-freeze, is that normal?  I also have a feeling that somebody is out to get me.

They're after you for disturbing the good people of Bluewell.