Marion @ Chilhowie

Plywood_King

Anyone want to wager a guess on this one? On paper, Marion is returning nearly the entire roster who defeated the Warriors last year and should be favored, but you have to believe that Chilhowie will be viewing this as a revenge game, knowing that they were out-mudded and gave Marion their only win of the season last year.

Given that it will be broadcast live on WCYB, both teams are expecting to take a step forward this year, and folks have football-cabin-fever, I expect there to be a lot of spectators and not a lot of points.

21 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

This rivalry is as even as possible.

In the last 10 games, each team has 5 wins.

In the last 20 games, each team has 10 wins.

In the last 30 games, each team has 15 wins. 

No exaggeration, that is an absolutely insane statistic.

12 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

This rivalry is as even as possible.

In the last 10 games, each team has 5 wins.

In the last 20 games, each team has 10 wins.

In the last 30 games, each team has 15 wins. 

And I am sure if you look back at it closer the home team wins most of those games. Home team is 8-2 in the last 10 games

On 8/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, Plywood_King said:

Anyone want to wager a guess on this one? On paper, Marion is returning nearly the entire roster who defeated the Warriors last year and should be favored, but you have to believe that Chilhowie will be viewing this as a revenge game, knowing that they were out-mudded and gave Marion their only win of the season last year.

Given that it will be broadcast live on WCYB, both teams are expecting to take a step forward this year, and folks have football-cabin-fever, I expect there to be a lot of spectators and not a lot of points.

How did fort look against Marion? 

35 minutes ago, GDUB said:

How did fort look against Marion? 

D held there own for the most part. Marion had a lot of false starts that kill drives. Offensively Fort killed them selves with dropped passes and not being able to catch the snap. #10 for Fort ran the ball really well.

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

And I am sure if you look back at it closer the home team wins most of those games. Home team is 8-2 in the last 10 games

Surprisingly, the home team advantage only applied to the past decade. From 1991 -2010, each school had 10 wins with exactly half on their respective home fields.

30 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Surprisingly, the home team advantage only applied to the past decade. From 1991 -2010, each school had 10 wins with exactly half on their respective home fields.

Yeah I was going to go further than the last 10 but realized it didnt hold up as well

54 minutes ago, vols4life said:

All I want is to see Marion win..Wonder how many flags will fly...In Chilhowie it's always Marion vs the team and Refs..wait that's anybody who plays there.

Is that a known thing in the counties over that way? I don't know much about Chilhowie or Holston or Marion or PH, is Chilhowie a notorious tough place to play as a visitor?

Just now, BigWinners said:

Is that a known thing in the counties over that way? I don't know much about Chilhowie or Holston or Marion or PH, is Chilhowie a notorious tough place to play as a visitor?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Plywood_King said:

Yes.

I wonder what other places have that reputation? Like if you're going to play at x-y-z, you know you're gonna have to deal with some hijinx? I know when Union would play in KY it was like that but I'm curious about local schools.  Off my head, I've never felt that about Burton, Ridgeview, Battle, Graham, Abingdon, Lee, VHS, etc...

GC used to have that reputation, it felt like the rabid fan base would pressure the refs sometimes,  but that's gone. Do other schools feel that way about Union? 

For the most part I thought in Virginia officiating crews rotated games on a weekly basis. To me that eliminates some of the home cooking. Now with that said I have seen the same officials at Richlands HS games that I've see at Richlands little league games. So I always say when you play at Erie Hicks you are down 14 points before the game starts......😂

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

For the most part I thought in Virginia officiating crews rotated games on a weekly basis. To me that eliminates some of the home cooking. Now with that said I have seen the same officials at Richlands HS games that I've see at Richlands little league games. So I always say when you play at Erie Hicks you are down 14 points before the game starts......😂

I was ABSOLUTELY gonna mention Richlands as a potential place that can brew some home cooking but I didn't wanna start any wars lol

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I was ABSOLUTELY gonna mention Richlands as a potential place that can brew some home cooking but I didn't wanna start any wars lol

You don’t like us. It’s cool. I don’t think it’s gonna start a war. 😂😂

The Marion Chilhowie game in 2015 (both teams combined for 3 wins that year with both teams beating Holston) the score was 20-19 but I remember there being 20+ flags that game. If i remember correctly the flags where split pretty evenly but Marion had at least 2 scores called back. It could be a Gate City effect where the crowd influenced most of the calls or just your basic home cooking. I just hope Marion has a strong showing in attendance to balance it out a little bit. This is a very intense rivalry even when both teams are not good. 

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Ask any Tazewell fan and they can give you a real opinion about Chilhowie as well.  Clock operators there are questionable at best.

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

You don’t like us. It’s cool. I don’t think it’s gonna start a war. 😂😂

Not true whatsoever. I have no animus towards Richlands HS as a whole. The former coach who just left, I thought he was a goober but I don't dislike Richlands.

9 hours ago, Jags52 said:

The Marion Chilhowie game in 2015 (both teams combined for 3 wins that year with both teams beating Holston) the score was 20-19 but I remember there being 20+ flags that game. If i remember correctly the flags where split pretty evenly but Marion had at least 2 scores called back. It could be a Gate City effect where the crowd influenced most of the calls or just your basic home cooking. I just hope Marion has a strong showing in attendance to balance it out a little bit. This is a very intense rivalry even when both teams are not good. 

Lest we forget that the second to last flag gave Chilhowie a new set of downs to kneel out the clock after Marion stopped them on third down, and the final flag of the game immediately followed it: a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct and ejection against Joey Carroll, which given what I would imagine he said, may have been the only justifiable penalty of the game. 🤣

14 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Lest we forget that the second to last flag gave Chilhowie a new set of downs to kneel out the clock after Marion stopped them on third down, and the final flag of the game immediately followed it: a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct and ejection against Joey Carroll, which given what I would imagine he said, may have been the only justifiable penalty of the game. 🤣

That penalty and ejection was against a player not Carroll. But It is kind of stupid to eject a kid AFTER Chillhowie took a knee and the clock was seconds away from hitting zero

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

That penalty and ejection was against a player not Carroll. But It is kind of stupid to eject a kid AFTER Chillhowie took a knee and the clock was seconds away from hitting zero

Jags52 is 100% correct on this.  Double birds to the opposing bench/stands along with certain words tends to lead to you no longer participating in the contest.

My crew and I worked this game. If I remember correctly 38 combined flags split basically even. It was an ugly game. Both teams were very young. One play late in the game I threw a flag on a Chilhowie WR and a player went down with cramps after the play. Robinson holler and asked me to come to the sideline.  He at that time was typically pretty animated so I was expecting this to not be a fun conversation. He asked what they flag was for. Holding on the WR maybe 33 or 34 was the jersey number.  He said that’s about his 3rd or 4th time tonight isn’t it. I said it was. He made a comment about the rough number of flags and even said sadly they are all probably legit. Not something you typically hear in a flag fest.  Both coaches knew they were young. Thesebwere felony flags not misdemeanors that night.  Just way more than anyone wants to see. Coaches. Players. Parents. Fans. Officials.  Anyone. You just aren’t doing a team favors if you continually let felonies go and it impacts them down the road though.