Marion @ Chilhowie

Plywood_King

14 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Jags52 is 100% correct on this.  Double birds to the opposing bench/stands along with certain words tends to lead to you no longer participating in the contest.

My crew and I worked this game. If I remember correctly 38 combined flags split basically even. It was an ugly game. Both teams were very young. One play late in the game I threw a flag on a Chilhowie WR and a player went down with cramps after the play. Robinson holler and asked me to come to the sideline.  He at that time was typically pretty animated so I was expecting this to not be a fun conversation. He asked what they flag was for. Holding on the WR maybe 33 or 34 was the jersey number.  He said that’s about his 3rd or 4th time tonight isn’t it. I said it was. He made a comment about the rough number of flags and even said sadly they are all probably legit. Not something you typically hear in a flag fest.  Both coaches knew they were young. Thesebwere felony flags not misdemeanors that night.  Just way more than anyone wants to see. Coaches. Players. Parents. Fans. Officials.  Anyone. You just aren’t doing a team favors if you continually let felonies go and it impacts them down the road though. 

I agree that both teams made some bone head plays and what the player did was unacceptable. I dont really buy into the notion that Chilhowie is paying officials extra or anything like that. Refs miss calls all the time but they are human and its extra hard when they are trying to do their job with one or two less guys than they need on a crew. The ball always seems to bounce Chilhowies way though or the officials are always looking in the right spot over there when the visiting team slips up. Like I say not saying that is on purpose because there is holding on every play its just not seen every play. It just seems to always happen over there. I tip my hat to you @1inStripes because that is not a job an easy job at all and we need more officials in a very bad way right now.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Jags52 is 100% correct on this.  Double birds to the opposing bench/stands along with certain words tends to lead to you no longer participating in the contest.

My crew and I worked this game. If I remember correctly 38 combined flags split basically even. It was an ugly game. Both teams were very young. One play late in the game I threw a flag on a Chilhowie WR and a player went down with cramps after the play. Robinson holler and asked me to come to the sideline.  He at that time was typically pretty animated so I was expecting this to not be a fun conversation. He asked what they flag was for. Holding on the WR maybe 33 or 34 was the jersey number.  He said that’s about his 3rd or 4th time tonight isn’t it. I said it was. He made a comment about the rough number of flags and even said sadly they are all probably legit. Not something you typically hear in a flag fest.  Both coaches knew they were young. Thesebwere felony flags not misdemeanors that night.  Just way more than anyone wants to see. Coaches. Players. Parents. Fans. Officials.  Anyone. You just aren’t doing a team favors if you continually let felonies go and it impacts them down the road though. 

I feel like a real heel now 🤣 Based on Carroll's body language and the fact that he interacted with an official before following the player the field house, it appeared in the crowd that he was being ejected with the player. I feel like that's the biggest problem with being a spectator; you only know what you can see from a distance, and often times you don't know half of what's really going on. I remember after that game I made a comment that I didn't believe the officials were treating either team with bias, but that they were flag happy, which after I saw how the rest of the season progressed, probably was an unfair assessment. 38 penalties leads you to assume that the officials weren't letting either team breathe, but either way, I'm always of the opinion that if you don't want to be flagged, you shouldn't commit the penalty.

I'm friendly with Stripes and another official, those guys are just flag happy glory hounds, always out to get whoever I'm rooting for that night. I'm not convinced they aren't holding meetings every Thursday figuring out new ways to spite me. It's diabolical, once I finish my dossier and send it to Coy Bays or Tim Hayes, I'm gonna blow the roof off this whole conspiracy. 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I'm friendly with Stripes and another official, those guys are just flag happy glory hounds, always out to get whoever I'm rooting for that night. I'm not convinced they aren't holding meetings every Thursday figuring out new ways to spite me. It's diabolical, once I finish my dossier and send it to Coy Bays or Tim Hayes, I'm gonna blow the roof off this whole conspiracy. 

Are you trying to get Sara Carter involved as well? 🤣

9 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I agree that both teams made some bone head plays and what the player did was unacceptable. I dont really buy into the notion that Chilhowie is paying officials extra or anything like that. Refs miss calls all the time but they are human and its extra hard when they are trying to do their job with one or two less guys than they need on a crew. The ball always seems to bounce Chilhowies way though or the officials are always looking in the right spot over there when the visiting team slips up. Like I say not saying that is on purpose because there is holding on every play its just not seen every play. It just seems to always happen over there. I tip my hat to you @1inStripes because that is not a job an easy job at all and we need more officials in a very bad way right now.

I currently don't do the job.  May get back into it later.  After 18 seasons, 17 really enjoyable ones, I stepped aside in the 2019 season as my daughter is a cheerleader and in the band at Rye Cove. As much as I did enjoy officiating, Id rather be there for my girls as time is passing rather quickly.  

If you enjoy the game, its a great way to stay connected to it.  I started officiating when in college as a way to stay involved and hopefully learn a little more before a teaching and coaching career.  Life takes some funny turns sometimes and I never became a teacher, now volunteer with athletics at Rye Cove in various capacities and help run a travel softball organization that has grown and became more successful than we ever imagined when myself and two others started it, plus my full time gig I was fortunate to land before I finished college.   

We need more people to give it a try.  People who want to dig in an learn and put forth the necessary effort.  I have gear I would give someone if they wanted to start to offset some start up costs.  When I started we had around 110-120 officials in the AOA.  I believe a friend told me they may be around 77 or so currently officiating.  The average age of officials doesn't make you feel any better about the situation.  

8 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

I feel like a real heel now 🤣 Based on Carroll's body language and the fact that he interacted with an official before following the player the field house, it appeared in the crowd that he was being ejected with the player. I feel like that's the biggest problem with being a spectator; you only know what you can see from a distance, and often times you don't know half of what's really going on. I remember after that game I made a comment that I didn't believe the officials were treating either team with bias, but that they were flag happy, which after I saw how the rest of the season progressed, probably was an unfair assessment. 38 penalties leads you to assume that the officials weren't letting either team breathe, but either way, I'm always of the opinion that if you don't want to be flagged, you shouldn't commit the penalty.

I remember HogoOnline and crew talking about it being a joke how many flags we were throwing and such.  It wasn't a fun night for anyone I can assure you of that.  We were just as thrilled as anyone a game like that one was over.  

I don't remember Joey being tossed. Pretty sure it was just a necessary talk with the young man about what had happened.  I may be mistaken though. If memory serves me correctly, Joey or his bother was much closer to being tossed by our crew maybe at Rural Retreat one time.  

8 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Joey or his bother was much closer to being tossed by our crew maybe at Rural Retreat one time.  

The way some of those Marion Rural Retreat games have gone the last few times they have played I’m not surprised at all.. also I really hope we get some more officials soon average age of is a huge concern but I understand why you stepped down those babies grow up fast