2021 SWVA Sports Preseason Poll

V-Cats

4 minutes ago, Football423276434 said:

Do multiple votes help or is it just one per? 

In years past, he only takes 1 ballot per member. So if people do vote more than once, it only counts 1 of them. 

Also, if someone votes for the same team for all 10 spots — only 1 counts lol. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

In years past, he only takes 1 ballot per member. So if people do vote more than once, it only counts 1 of them. 

Also, if someone votes for the same team for all 10 spots — only 1 counts lol. 

Is Bluefield in SWVA?

8 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Is Bluefield in SWVA?

Yes. It’s all the teams up on the banner up top. 

So all of the SWVA teams with the cutoff being Giles/Radford/Pulaski. And then add in the handful of WV teams that are up there. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yes. It’s all the teams up on the banner up top. 

So all of the SWVA teams with the cutoff being Giles/Radford/Pulaski. And then add in the handful of WV teams that are up there. 

Probably should have read this before submitting... sorry Bluefield and Pulaski

I voted something like this. My memory is so short I probably am off a slot or two, but mine looked like this.

For the Top 5.

Bluefield, Union, Graham, Galax, Radford as the top 5.

6 through 10-Abingdon, Pulaski, Central, Richlands, Ridgeview

I don't know why I have Richlands so low. I thought they looked slightly better than Graham, Abingdon, Central, and Radford in the scrimmages I saw so far. 

3 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

No offense to Pulaski but I don’t see them making the top 10 poll this season. It’s going to be a tough year for them.

Idk much about them but I imagine they could crack the top 10

On 8/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, Fairlawncat said:

I voted something like this. My memory is so short I probably am off a slot or two, but mine looked like this.

For the Top 5.

Bluefield, Union, Graham, Galax, Radford as the top 5.

6 through 10-Abingdon, Pulaski, Central, Richlands, Ridgeview

I don't know why I have Richlands so low. I thought they looked slightly better than Graham, Abingdon, Central, and Radford in the scrimmages I saw so far. 

Maybe you have them lower because they played Grundy; no offense to the Golden Wave but they’re a wrestling school. Football has been on a downward trend for them but maybe it’s taken an upturn. 

2 hours ago, GDUB said:

Heard pulaski starting RB is now at Radford 

I've been told the kid we got from Pulaski was given shared time as a starter.  Meaning, he would have got about 50% of the reps.  Also, our QB is healthy/good to go for the opener.  This was the update I got yesterday.  If, big if, but if we can stay healthy, I think this Radford team could be slightly better than the team that beat Appomattox and lost to Graham in the semi's in 2018.  Even with the loss of some key seniors like PJ and Zane, we have bucket loads of talent on the field that rival that of some of those teams back in the late 80's with guys like Ramsey, Palmer, and Caldwell, that also had some vicious battles with Graham at the Div 3 level.  Our line is not terribly big, but not small either, but they have really good technique and fire off the ball well.  In our Region this year, we can't match Appomattox athletically, but the gap is much closer than it has been the past 2 years.  We are close to them athletically, but on the line of scrimmage, they are as good as they are at the skilled positions.  Appomattox is not just about athletes, but it's also about excellent line of scrimmage coaching and great technique and in this area, they are ahead of us (Radford) by a wider margin than they are at the skilled positions. 

3 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I've been told the kid we got from Pulaski was given shared time as a starter.  Meaning, he would have got about 50% of the reps.  Also, our QB is healthy/good to go for the opener.  This was the update I got yesterday.  If, big if, but if we can stay healthy, I think this Radford team could be slightly better than the team that beat Appomattox and lost to Graham in the semi's in 2018.  Even with the loss of some key seniors like PJ and Zane, we have bucket loads of talent on the field that rival that of some of those teams back in the late 80's with guys like Ramsey, Palmer, and Caldwell, that also had some vicious battles with Graham at the Div 3 level.  Our line is not terribly big, but not small either, but they have really good technique and fire off the ball well.  In our Region this year, we can't match Appomattox athletically, but the gap is much closer than it has been the past 2 years.  We are close to them athletically, but on the line of scrimmage, they are as good as they are at the skilled positions.  Appomattox is not just about athletes, but it's also about excellent line of scrimmage coaching and great technique and in this area, they are ahead of us (Radford) by a wider margin than they are at the skilled positions. 

when you have Lawing and Pennix in same backfield, gonna be tough for anyone to match up and stop them. To me that's most overlooked thing with Appo, very good QB play, smart, tough, makes right decisions, doesn't turn it over, etc... First Scruggs then Lawing, they've been fortunate in that dept

15 hours ago, GDUB said:

Heard pulaski starting RB is now at Radford 

I was told by someone involved in the process over the summer this was going to happen. Dixon wasn’t pleased with the upperclassmen last season not buying in to his program. Half-assed weight training, lack of interest in the film room, and an attitude of superiority is going to result in lost time on the field for the seniors. 

He made the decision over the summer to do what he did in 2012/2013 at Galax when he experienced the same issues. Changes on the coaching staff along with playing younger kids on the field who are buying in and putting in the work. May not see immediate results in Pulaski but over time, the program will be stronger.