Artificial noise makers

oldfool

35 minutes ago, oldfool said:

What is everyone going to do with artificial noise makers supposedly being banned at football games this season? Yeah even cow bells and jugs filled with rocks are banned.

They’ve always been banned. But you won’t see a single school in SWVA enforce it lol. It won’t make a difference until the state finals. 

15 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Was enforced at the LCA vs Appo game, no air horns.

That doesn’t surprise me. No offense, but Appo is maybe the states biggest whiner when it comes to noise/atmosphere lol. Banning inflatables and visiting bands hasn’t given them a sterling reputation. 

48 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Anything louder than a golf clap isn't allowed at the Graham games. 

The last time I was at Mitchell Stadium, the PA guy was a dude who sounded like he should be doing commentary for the Golf Channel or a smooth jazz radio station...

45 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That doesn’t surprise me. No offense, but Appo is maybe the states biggest whiner when it comes to noise/atmosphere lol. Banning inflatables and visiting bands hasn’t given them a sterling reputation. 

Agree wholeheartedly, no offense intended either. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Agree wholeheartedly, no offense intended either. 

Man Appomattox would have complained and complained about Gate City and their train horn. I have also heard stories about the Big Blue Cannonball, if any Gate City fans wanna share their stories. 

They also have a lot of the manual plastic air horns and cowbells. 

I am not bothered by horns or cowbells. As long as you don’t blow them incessantly. 

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

When were you last at Mitchell?

I agree.

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Anything louder than a golf clap isn't allowed at the Graham games. 

While the fans may be a bit demure, the band more than makes up for it.

13 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

Man Appomattox would have complained and complained about Gate City and their train horn. I have also heard stories about the Big Blue Cannonball, if any Gate City fans wanna share their stories. 

They also have a lot of the manual plastic air horns and cowbells. 

I am not bothered by horns or cowbells. As long as you don’t blow them incessantly. 

If cowbells and air horns are an issue, they would've stroked out over the Cannonball back in the day.

17 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

LOL!

I know there has been discussion on here in the past over the train horn.  Personally I love it but do feel that it shouldn't be used while the opposing offense is on the line.

Now cow bells....One person ringing a bell cant influence a game like one person operating a train horn during "inappropriate" times. I say ring all the bells as loud and hard as you can.

I've loved the two trips to the Gap and the atmosphere that is there,  I think Appo help their own with noise both times we were down there. 

I will say that our band has been told they can't play while the other offense is trying to call plays (because of the rule I guess) and I guess they expected the same from other teams.

I know Giles was allowed to bring their train horn but from what I understood there was guidelines on blowing it.  We have a horn as well.  It gets blown when the kids enter and after scores. 

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

LOL!

I know there has been discussion on here in the past over the train horn.  Personally I love it but do feel that it shouldn't be used while the opposing offense is on the line.

Now cow bells....One person ringing a bell cant influence a game like one person operating a train horn during "inappropriate" times. I say ring all the bells as loud and hard as you can.

I've loved the two trips to the Gap and the atmosphere that is there,  I think Appo help their own with noise both times we were down there. 

I will say that our band has been told they can't play while the other offense is trying to call plays (because of the rule I guess) and I guess they expected the same from other teams.

I know Giles was allowed to bring their train horn but from what I understood there was guidelines on blowing it.  We have a horn as well.  It gets blown when the kids enter and after scores. 

When we brought the horn the guidelines were that we could not blow it when Appo had the ball. We blew it when Giles came out, and when we scored. Appo fumbled the ball and we recovered it and blew the horn and got shut down for that. This all stems from the 2013 playoffs where Appo claimed that the horn beat them. However, it was actually an undefeated State Champion football team that beat them. 

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

When we brought the horn the guidelines were that we could not blow it when Appo had the ball. We blew it when Giles came out, and when we scored. Appo fumbled the ball and we recovered it and blew the horn and got shut down for that. This all stems from the 2013 playoffs where Appo claimed that the horn beat them. However, it was actually an undefeated State Champion football team that beat them. 

Yea, I've heard about that game.  
Like I said I enjoyed the horn and thought it added to the game experience.  I can see how it could be used to sway a game though and only should be used at appropriate times.   In saying that, I wouldn't have an issue with it being used after big plays like turnovers though. 

I have no problem with natural noise makers such as cow bells etc. It is part of the game. However when you bring a train horn that is assisted noise making. And it is ok to have the train horn if it is not used during play or while a team is in the huddle or at the line. Celebrating a score or a good play is fine. Like I said before. Would you point a flashlight in the eyes of a basketball player at the free throw line? No.

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Like I said before. Would you point a flashlight in the eyes of a basketball player at the free throw line? No.

Maybe not a flashlight but Keokee used to have people in the rafters shaking the basketball goals when the opponents shot free throws.

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Maybe not a flashlight but Keokee used to have people in the rafters shaking the basketball goals when the opponents shot free throws.

I could imagine I've met a couple of wild ones over there