Richlands vs Gate City

Tru Blue 72

I think Richlands will be tough to beat this year. I think I counted around 18 or 19 seniors on Facebook a few days ago. Coach Tarter has been around that program for years. The kids seem to like him. I don't why they wouldn't, he's a great guy. It may take them a couple games to get into the swing of things but I don't see them having a repeat of the spring season.

If Richlands can contain Jenkins than they should win on paper. That is a whole lot easier said than done. I would not kick to him and I would bracket him when he is at slot. Mance was great at taking away what you were really good at. I would be interested to see if Tarter can do the same. 

I watched the Va High/Gate City game and the Blue Devils shot themselves in the foot several times with turnovers.  In the 3rd Q the ball was centered over the QB's head 4 times for big losses.  One resulted in a scoop and score for Va High. Not sure if they had changed the center or what caused the errant snaps.  Jenkins is legit with his speed.  From what I saw watching their game with the Bearcats, I am going to say put a "W next to the lighting R."  

1 hour ago, BSGSportsFan said:

I remember when this game used to be the game the opening week of the season. I'm still dumbfounded by how far GC has fallen as a football program.

Same. I can remember the game in 2004 when you couldn’t get a seat and they were lined up 3-4 deep all the way around the fence. It was a madhouse. 
Those were the days. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Same. I can remember the game in 2004 when you couldn’t get a seat and they were lined up 3-4 deep all the way around the fence. It was a madhouse. 
Those were the days. 

Almost impossible to hear on the field that night...

4 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Can't remember the year but the game they played in playoffs was a great game maybe 7-8 years ago.  Seems like that was GC last good team

3 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

2014 maybe. Nick Bowen I think or Collier one at QB for GC.  

Collier at QB, Baker at RB, and "do everything" back Caleb Herron. That GC team underperformed in that 2nd matchup, but it's hard to beat a good team twice. Had the tools for a championship that year.

Anyone know what happened on the unsportsmanlike call? I just seen the aftermath of the GC player swinging at some Richlands players while the Richlands player was down. Someone told me after the play the GC kid ran full sprint amd nailed the Richlands kid from behind after the play. Anyone have any clue why he wouldnt be ejected? Or did it happen differently?

3 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Anyone know what happened on the unsportsmanlike call? I just seen the aftermath of the GC player swinging at some Richlands players while the Richlands player was down. Someone told me after the play the GC kid ran full sprint amd nailed the Richlands kid from behind after the play. Anyone have any clue why he wouldnt be ejected? Or did it happen differently?

Something either happened or was said in that pile for the fumble. But yeah, the player ran full speed and hit him in the back. Tarter said after the game that Houseright came over and they both apologized for the ruckus. I’d assume they didn’t want to eject anyone in game 1. Neither player involved went back in the game, I don’t think.