Week 1 updates

BearsFan88

1 hour ago, tbgfan said:

FINAL

Gate City  13

Richlands  38[/b]

Congrats to Coach Tarter on his 1st win as HEAD COACH OF THE BLUES!!!

Dylan Brown with 105 yds on 14 carries

Drew Simmons with 2 TD's and 84 yds  in receptions

Anybody from Richlands let go of the ball before crossing the goal line tonight??😂

1 minute ago, tbgfan said:

Carson Jenkins impressed me not just with his speed, but his cutting ability in moving through defenders.  He can see open lanes clearly and his speed just moves him to another gear.  

If he had any help, he would be able to shine even more. But teams can devote two and sometimes three guys to shadow him bc GC has lacked weapons. He's incredibly talented.

Just now, Fairlawncat said:

Final from Radford, VA.  Radford 35, George Wythe 6.  George Wythe went up 6 to 0 with the first score, and the Bobcats scored 35 straight to get the victory.

Impressive victory for the Cats. Is GW down or is Radford a legit contender in 2C? Can they push Appo and potentially represent 2C?

5 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If he had any help, he would be able to shine even more. But teams can devote two and sometimes three guys to shadow him bc GC has lacked weapons. He's incredibly talented.

Gate City was wearing down in the 3rd and several players cramping due to the turf.  Even Jenkins had to go off with cramps.

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Impressive victory for the Cats. Is GW down or is Radford a legit contender in 2C? Can they push Appo and potentially represent 2C?

I think Appo is probably 17 points better than us.  We are young, but have some fast guys at the skilled positions and likely a major college/div 1 type defensive back who is also our quarterback.  He's lightening fast and quick, but raw.  A first year starter.  Our do everything linebacker and running back is as good as there is at LB.  He would remind you much of Mason Pollier from Union a couple years ago.  If we were to beat Appo, it would take a monumental upset.  I just don't see it this year.  Next year, I love our chances, or at least, I like our chances to be as good as they have been since we last beat them in 2018.

Congrats to Giles Spartans.  So happy for this program and their kids.  Giles has been down for a bit, but it looks like the peak of them being down has just turned, and the trend back up is now in full effect.  The future is pretty good at Giles for the next few years with what they return and have coming up.  I think as early as next year, they are in contention and may push Galax to be the team to come out of the West in 1A.  We will see.  It's early, and BBurg is down for sure, but it's still a good sign for Giles to come from behind and get a W like this.

54 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Not a fan of V High airing it way downfield this late in the game

😂 It was 30-6 at halftime, and Steve Thomas and Delaney hardly played in the 2nd half….that was a 3rd and 15 play.  

10 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Congrats to Giles Spartans.  So happy for this program and their kids.  Giles has been down for a bit, but it looks like the peak of them being down has just turned, and the trend back up is now in full effect.  The future is pretty good at Giles for the next few years with what they return and have coming up.  I think as early as next year, they are in contention and may push Galax to be the team to come out of the West in 1A.  We will see.  It's early, and BBurg is down for sure, but it's still a good sign for Giles to come from behind and get a W like this.

I agree. 1C will belong to Galax this year but hopefully next year Giles can be in contention for it.  Blacksburg is down this year but it’s still good for a 1A school to take down a 4A school. This young group didn’t lay down, that’s for sure.