Week 1 updates

BearsFan88

10 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Lol even in Honaker's down years they always had a good kicker.

From what I saw tonight this reminded me of a vintage tigers team. Maybe not quite as good as the state contending ones, but definitely a team who is capable of winning 7 games. They have a good mix of size upfront with solid speed in key positions. Definitely not the tigers from last year. You didn't think Hubbard would go out with another down year did you ??

On the flipside the Pioneers have some growing up to do. They aren't a bad team at all in my opinion. They may take a couple weeks or so to figure it out. They played much better in the 2nd half. They may only win 4 or 5 games, but they will be competitive. 

Liberty(Bedford) 33, William Byrd 28

Happy to see my son's team win in his first varsity outing.  Liberty's lack of numbers is likely to be a problem in the long run (lot of guys playing both ways almost bit them last night).  Byrd is small and quick on offense -- Hairston kid at QB is very hard to contain and can throw the ball well.  Otherwise hard to say what the future holds for either team, but it was great to be back under the Friday night lights.

13 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Anybody from Richlands let go of the ball before crossing the goal line tonight??😂

Anyone who is an Irish fan shouldn’t be cracking jokes, since they are like marijuana, both get smoked in a bowl. 

Congrats to Bruton High.  Final Score, Bruton (2A) 32, Northampton (1A) 28.  The little 2A school from Williamsburg the competes in the Bay Rivers with mostly 4A schools got its first win since October of 2017.  In 2018, the school had low numbers and just couldn't compete as it was taking vicious beatings in the Bay Rivers and went 0-5.  It cancelled it's 2018 season after only 5 games.  It went 0-10 in 2019, and this spring of 2021, it went 0-3.  The win for Bruton, who along with Poquoson, are the only 2A schools in the 4A heavy Bay Rivers District, came for the first time in nearly 4 years.  Bruton, historically is a solid basketball power for many years (down recently) and was the home school of former Virginia Tech QB and High School All-American Bryan Randall.  

Other 2A possible deep playoff run contenders across the state.

Appo and Buckingham didn't play.  Covid issues with Buckingham.  This game is likely cancelled and the reschedule fell through, so probably 9 games for each school in regular season.

Stuarts Draft plays today at 6pm against William Monroe

Poquoson 2A had game against Southampton postponed due to Covid issues with Southampton High.  No makeup date has yet to be set.

Clarke County, ranked 7th in VaPreps 2A poll beat Warren County in its opener 34-6.

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Congrats to Bruton High.  Final Score, Bruton (2A) 32, Northampton (1A) 28.  The little 2A school from Williamsburg the competes in the Bay Rivers with mostly 4A schools got its first win since October of 2017.  In 2018, the school had low numbers and just couldn't compete as it was taking vicious beatings in the Bay Rivers and went 0-5.  It cancelled it's 2018 season after only 5 games.  It went 0-10 in 2019, and this spring of 2021, it went 0-3.  The win for Bruton, who along with Poquoson, are the only 2A schools in the 4A heavy Bay Rivers District, came for the first time in nearly 4 years.  Bruton, historically is a solid basketball power for many years (down recently) and was the home school of former Virginia Tech QB and High School All-American Bryan Randall.  

A good friend that I graduated with was an assistant coach for Bruton a few years ago. We ran into each other at the state track meet as we both coached throwers and he told me about the struggles they had. This is awesome to see. I would’ve loved to seen the reaction from the players, coaches, and fans.

8 hours ago, oldfool said:

LB looked like Appo did in 2019 when we played our first game against Buckingham. Appo turned it around after a rough start to go on and win state that year also. So keeping that in mind LB has time to come around and be a major hurdle for any team. LB is very young and i knew that this year, but i did not expect to see what i saw friday night. Glass shut their run attack down and LB does not have a passing game, quarterback is way off. 

Yeah I'm sure LB gets it figured out at least some and is a good team by midseason. But if they aren't careful, they have two games against smaller schools that could beat them, you guys and Riverheads. I was sure LB would handle Riverheads before the season but now it looks like any other of my predictions, terribly wrong lol

Not a local update...

Watching the Oakland (TN) game against Madison Ridgeland (MS) on ESPN2.  Oakland HS in Murfreesboro has a stout  football program, current TN state champion in the highest classification Score now 31-6 Oakland, game winding down. Great showing for TN.

(I was pulling for Oakland in this match but I'm a Blackman Blaze supporter, also, a M'boro school, due to a special player in the younger classes)  

Stuarts Draft 7, William Monroe 7.  6:50 Seconds Left in the 2nd Quarter and currently on a 1 and one-half hour rain/lightening day.  The teams came back onto the field at about 7:30 pm to resume play and as they were warming up and within just a couple of minutes of starting back up, another flash of lightening occurred, so now they are repeating the cycle  The field is saturated and if not careful, the weather and stoppages/off timing assisting William Monroe might make this thing closer than it should be (if they get the game in).  

2 hours ago, trublue said:

Not a local update...

Watching the Oakland (TN) game against Madison Ridgeland (MS) on ESPN2.  Oakland HS in Murfreesboro has a stout  football program, current TN state champion in the highest classification Score now 31-6 Oakland, game winding down. Great showing for TN.

(I was pulling for Oakland in this match but I'm a Blackman Blaze supporter, also, a M'boro school, due to a special player in the younger classes)  

Oakland has displaced Murville for state supremacy. Creasy has done a whale of a job since he went there, going 82-6 with 2 state titles and a runner up. 

Stuarts Draft vs William Monroe- postponed.   2.5 hour delay due to lightening stretching the game restart past 9 pm, and they called it.  There were 6 minutes and 50 seconds left in the second quarter and the score tied 7-7.  Per the Stadium Announcer, there is no make up date set yet, and the planned make up date is set to be announced later (not tonight).

The Stuarts Draft vs William Monroe game that was supposed to be made up last night was Not able to be made up. I think it was due to rain, bit they couldn't get the game in when it was tied 7-7. The game has not been rescheduled