Radford @ Gate City

RCITYHOO

I think we looked very good against George Wythe. I'm impressed with our front 7. We lived in the George Wythe backfield from the very snap. Offensively, very rusty but keeping in mind, we were without some practices and a scrimmage missed due to Covid. Add this to a new starting QB and the rust shows. What also showed is the QBs ability to score from anywhere on the field if he gets a step and our RB is the best player on our team. I would be surprised if he's not an All State Linebacker. 

I think Gate City is not bad, but Crist at Head Coach knows all about Jenkins, his speed, and the damage he can do. Marcell in my opinion will play at the next level as a cornerback/possibly safety and he is dauntingly fast and quick as lightening, but.....he will need help over the top with Jenkins. Jenkins has speed that the majority of major college Div 1 receivers simply do not have. I think we do well against GC. Teams that can put it in the air effectively will give us problems. 

I agree with some of what you said. front 7 was outstanding in that game but IMO GW was awful. Maybe I'm watching too much football on TV and maybe Raddy is better than I saw. Agree on Baylor D1 talent but not at QB should be a great safety but didn't get any film on him from Friday. Hope he learns to keep his mouth shut we ain't good enough to win without him. LB I think was Dobbins (could be wrong on his name) and yes he is very good.

I agree on Marcell.  He's got to keep quiet and play ball.  To much extracurricular stuff after the play.  No question though, he isn't playing QB at the college level.  He has defensive back written all over him.  He's actually 6"2, 6"3 and runs a 4.5.  He's thin now, but when he grows into that frame with a touch more weight, he's going to be special in my opinion at the next level.  You might be right about George Wythe and maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I have been watching to much football.  I have no idea.  I thought we looked pretty good, but I'm a homer so who knows.  Gate City will tell us more.  It's hard for me to gauge who is good anymore.  For example, I think Richlands looks fantastic from what I've seen so far, as in....their best team since they lost to Appomattox in a game they should have won many years ago.  I take it many Richlands or SWVA fans probably don't see it, so this causes me not to trust myself anymore.  Now...if Richlands beats Union or plays Union in a nailbiter, I will be on to something.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, Fairlawncat said:

I agree on Marcell.  He's got to keep quiet and play ball.  To much extracurricular stuff after the play.  No question though, he isn't playing QB at the college level.  He has defensive back written all over him.  He's actually 6"2, 6"3 and runs a 4.5.  He's thin now, but when he grows into that frame with a touch more weight, he's going to be special in my opinion at the next level.  You might be right about George Wythe and maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I have been watching to much football.  I have no idea.  I thought we looked pretty good, but I'm a homer so who knows.  Gate City will tell us more.  It's hard for me to gauge who is good anymore.  For example, I think Richlands looks fantastic from what I've seen so far, as in....their best team since they lost to Appomattox in a game they should have won many years ago.  I take it many Richlands or SWVA fans probably don't see it, so this causes me not to trust myself anymore.  Now...if Richlands beats Union or plays Union in a nailbiter, I will be on to something.

Baylor's mouth and attitude will be the things that might keep him from D1.  Everything else is there. He isn't naturally a QB but he is our best choice at QB.  He doesn't have the ability to find open receivers, at least so far.  If he can figure that out the Radford Offense will be tough to contend with.  Wesley-Brubeck hears from the Dr this week if he will be released which gives an added weapon on offense and experience on defense.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, Fairlawncat said:

I am sure Marcell is very fast. But, very, very few High School players run a TRUE 4.5. Numbers like 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 are thrown around all the time, it's just not the case! Track and field organizations generally use a +.15 correction factor, when comparing old hand timed races to electronically times modern races. Plus, they where hand timed with multiple watches with very experienced timers. Lows and highs thrown out, the rest must generally agree Not a single High School coach saying....... GO. Hand times can easily be .2 to .3 off. The shorter the race the more pronounce this is. Only times that are electronically timed are accurate. If someone wants to time their own team, using the same timer, under the same conditions... then he could get a really good idea of how fast his team is relative to each other. But, the time itself is absolutely meaningless for comparison purposes. Even when comparing to another team that is also hand timing. A guy that runs a TRUE 4.6 is very, very fast and is the fastest guy; by far, in 95% plus of high school games.  A true 4.5 would be about 6th on the following list........

Last NFL combine RB top 40 times. (Fastest college running backs in Draft class)
1. Justice Hill, @CowboyFB, 4.40 2. Ryquell Armstead, @Temple_FB, 4.45 t3. Jordan Scarlett, @GatorsFB, 4.47 t3. Mike Weber, @OhioStateFB, 4.47 5. Travis Homer, @CanesFootball, 4.48

On 8/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, Fairlawncat said:

I think we looked very good against George Wythe. I'm impressed with our front 7. We lived in the George Wythe backfield from the very snap. Offensively, very rusty but keeping in mind, we were without some practices and a scrimmage missed due to Covid. Add this to a new starting QB and the rust shows. What also showed is the QBs ability to score from anywhere on the field if he gets a step and our RB is the best player on our team. I would be surprised if he's not an All State Linebacker. 

I think Gate City is not bad, but Crist at Head Coach knows all about Jenkins, his speed, and the damage he can do. Marcell in my opinion will play at the next level as a cornerback/possibly safety and he is dauntingly fast and quick as lightening, but.....he will need help over the top with Jenkins. Jenkins has speed that the majority of major college Div 1 receivers simply do not have. I think we do well against GC. Teams that can put it in the air effectively will give us problems. 

our coach never changed the snap count! you were quicker off the ball than we were lol 

14 minutes ago, GDUB said:

i watched galax and giles. not sure they can play with radford. their qb is quick and their 2 middle linebackers best in the area 

Guess we'll see...I'm not going to come on here and claim we will roll them but when Galax isn't making the mistakes they are a solid team and the more practice time they get together the better they will be. Now me saying they can compete with Radford without the mistakes is merely speculation on my part. Galax better be worried about Carroll this week before they can even think about Radford.