GW vs Fort Chis

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think Fort Chiswell comes out on top. GW doesn’t seem up to their normal level compared to other seasons. Of course, the season is just starting and I could be wrong. 

We aren't. There's a bit of a youth movement going on here. Combine that with a tougher schedule, and I anticipate us taking some lumps this season. I'm still very excited to see some of your younger playmakers develop, though.

As far as the Fort matchup, I see a close, competitive game. Can go either way. 

59 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

As far as the Fort matchup, I see a close, competitive game. Can go either way. 

That’s all any of us can hope for or want with any match up, a close competitive game. Blowouts are never as fun to watch as a nail biter! Hope it comes down to the wire! Good luck to both teams! 

GW-35 FC-14 my main way if thinking here is fc can't seem to get it of their own way. In the benefit game with Marion they couldn't get going at all. And against RR mistakes killed them. And yes GW got taken behind the woodshed against raddy and yes we are young all over. But we are loaded with skills in the backfield and once our starting QB is back we should be fine. Both teams are coming off an L but I just think GW has more to prove a loss to raddy usually means bad things for our next opponent. But I won't be shocked if this one is ALOT closer than I'm predicting. 

On 8/31/2021 at 7:03 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I think Fort Chiswell comes out on top. GW doesn’t seem up to their normal level compared to other seasons. Of course, the season is just starting and I could be wrong. 

Hey can I ask a favor? Can you please tell the G-Men when they come to GW to give Bradshaw a rest game haha. That kid is special I can't wait to watch him on the field. I'm not looking past any of it opponents but that game is shaping up to be rough for my Maroons. I still won't pick them to lose the game but..... Let's just say the score keeper is going to be busy that night trying to keep up.

Team Stats
First Downs: GW 11, FC 4; Rushes-Yards: GW 48-189, FC 24-24; Passing Yards: GW 35, FC 47; Comp-Att-Int.: GW 3-7-1, FC 5-9-0; Fumbles-Lost: GW 1-0, FC 2-1; Penalties-Yards: GW 4-20, FC 5-55; Punts-Average: GW 2-33, FC 5-30.6

---------plays-------yards

GW---- 56--------- 224

FC------ 33-------- 71

Fort has been playing really good defense. Offense may have to change formations/schemes from time to time or personnel. Spider has done a great job on getting kids excited and out. Really liked the black and gold uniforms. The school colors.

I think FC has a very vanilla O. Their defense is sharp and they really fly to the ball. There is talent there. They have around 50 or so kids in unis, but..... offensively, very little misdirection, very few screens, bubbles, hitches to offset blitzes, etc. They had many offensive plays designed to read the defensive end (Veer O concept) but it's as if the read on the defensive end was pre designed for the QB to hand the ball off, even when the DE crashed down on the RB and the QB had wide open field, the ball was handed off. This had to be pre designed. In the second half of that game, I think G.Wythes defense was clearly under the revelation that the QB was not keeping the ball and completely sold out on the running back, and it worked. The RB continued to get the ball. Even though it looked like FCs QB had the choice to keep the ball or hand off based on what the DE was doing, I think there was already a pressing/decision by FCs staff for the QB to hand the ball off. This seems to defeat the purpose of running a Veer Type(read the defensive end) type play.  

Offensively, FC has lots of work to do and much room for improvement. Compared to Abingdon or Ridgeview or Galax's play design and offensive scheme, the Fort appears to me to be way behind.

36 minutes ago, sixcat said:

That has always been the knock on coach Thompson. Well coached, well designed, tough defensive scheme with little to no offensive development. 

Well, that man probably has forgot 10 fold what I know about the pigskin.  Some of these old school coaches play it conservative and many times, they get it done that way.  Coach Carlock at Graham and Coach Lineberg of Radford racked up a ton of wins having conservative O's. They kill clock and take the other teams O off the field.  FC has some studs out there.  Had a linebacker that would absolutely lay the leather on GW's running back's, and the dude got there in a hurry.  

3 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Well, that man probably has forgot 10 fold what I know about the pigskin.  Some of these old school coaches play it conservative and many times, they get it done that way.  Coach Carlock at Graham and Coach Lineberg of Radford racked up a ton of wins having conservative O's. They kill clock and take the other teams O off the field.  FC has some studs out there.  Had a linebacker that would absolutely lay the leather on GW's running back's, and the dude got there in a hurry.  

I was impressed with a couple of FC linebackers myself. Safety made an excellent read on the pick 6. To be honest, the previous series, it looked to me like the slant would be there all day in that formation. Obviously, I was wrong lol! We still have a lot to clean up on the offensive side of the ball, but I can't take anything away from what Fort did defensively. 

I know what you're saying about Fort's offensive scheme as well. Not gonna lie, it was pretty evident to me early that we outmanned them pretty heavily on the edge. From that standpoint, I understand why their offense did what they did, but like you said, there was no counters, no "keep you honest", and no real threat of anything beyond Varney. 100% agree with you. 

And for the life of me, I do not understand why in the hell Fort decided to punt from our 35. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Brandon Harner outcoached Spider in that moment and left our punt return unit on the sideline. Spider got what he deserved there lol. 

14 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

I was impressed with a couple of FC linebackers myself. Safety made an excellent read on the pick 6. To be honest, the previous series, it looked to me like the slant would be there all day in that formation. Obviously, I was wrong lol! We still have a lot to clean up on the offensive side of the ball, but I can't take anything away from what Fort did defensively. 

I know what you're saying about Fort's offensive scheme as well. Not gonna lie, it was pretty evident to me early that we outmanned them pretty heavily on the edge. From that standpoint, I understand why their offense did what they did, but like you said, there was no counters, no "keep you honest", and no real threat of anything beyond Varney. 100% agree with you. 

And for the life of me, I do not understand why in the hell Fort decided to punt from our 35. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Brandon Harner outcoached Spider in that moment and left our punt return unit on the sideline. Spider got what he deserved there lol. 

I think we need to throw the ball a little more. Qb hasnt played in two years and needs to throw to get into a rhythm. throwing 7 times a game is hard to get in any rhythm. that being said. he telegraph that pick so bad. i watched huddle and he waited well out the WR was out of his break to throw the pass. needs to work on that. it would be nice if we would run more than 7 different plays a game and especially not the same one 5-6 times in a row. Get the qb on the edge and let him make some throws on the run. its a stagnate offense at best. needs a update or patch thats for sure. 

GW I was told returned 4 starters on O and D.  It showed against Radford because GW had a whole, whole lot of self inflicted damage against us.  George Wythe in my view was very talented, just inexperienced and thankfully, we caught you all in game one.  Take away the self inflicted stuff and that game is no where close to the score that it was.  Not just turnovers, but against us (Radford), GW gave up about 3 plays where the defender was just out of position.  As in, missed assignment, youth type plays that allowed us to score on one of them and have a couple big gains  George Wythe's defensive line is stout.  They did pretty good against us and they smother FC.  I've read on here where a couple of GW folks feel this may be a 5-5 type season.  I don't know if I will agree on that.  The inexperience only gets more experienced with each game and by game 10, GW, out of all the other teams in Region D and C, may actually be the one that turns out to be second best behind Galax for the 2021 season.

5 minutes ago, GDUB said:

I think we need to throw the ball a little more. Qb hasnt played in two years and needs to throw to get into a rhythm. throwing 7 times a game is hard to get in any rhythm. that being said. he telegraph that pick so bad. i watched huddle and he waited well out the WR was out of his break to throw the pass. needs to work on that. it would be nice if we would run more than 7 different plays a game and especially not the same one 5-6 times in a row. Get the qb on the edge and let him make some throws on the run. its a stagnate offense at best. needs a update or patch thats for sure. 

I agree to a degree. Our passing game does in fact need to get sync'ed up, and the only way to do that is thru repetition. But on the flip side, we do need to win. One thing I've noticed with this team is that the WR's block VERY well. We found some rhythm with in the run game with the motion handoff to Fowler and countered that with Luke on the keep. I agree...It's basic, and sure we need more going forward. But given the situation, I wasn't mad at it. I did see a couple of RPO wrinkles that left me encouraged. I'm with you that we have to get Houston, Kirtner, and Walters more involved to be more efficient tho. 

I don't hold that pick 6 squarely on Luke, either. That was a play action by design. All the safety has to do is not bite and the WR comes to him. 

None of those issues irk me more than our tendency to reverse/fake reverse kickoff returns, tho. That's a whole damn soapbox in itself for me. 

16 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

GW I was told returned 4 starters on O and D.  It showed against Radford because GW had a whole, whole lot of self inflicted damage against us.  George Wythe in my view was very talented, just inexperienced and thankfully, we caught you all in game one.  Take away the self inflicted stuff and that game is no where close to the score that it was.  Not just turnovers, but against us (Radford), GW gave up about 3 plays where the defender was just out of position.  As in, missed assignment, youth type plays that allowed us to score on one of them and have a couple big gains  George Wythe's defensive line is stout.  They did pretty good against us and they smother FC.  I've read on here where a couple of GW folks feel this may be a 5-5 type season.  I don't know if I will agree on that.  The inexperience only gets more experienced with each game and by game 10, GW, out of all the other teams in Region D and C, may actually be the one that turns out to be second best behind Galax for the 2021 season.

You have no idea how much I love playing Radford right out of the gate every year. Win or lose, you guys always show us where our weaknesses are. 

5-5 might be realistic. Between you guys, Galax, and Graham...plus tough opponents like Rural Retreat, Fort Chiswell, Giles, Carroll, and a better coached Grayson team, I'd be thrilled with 6 wins lol!

I'm very hopeful and excited, to be honest.

2 hours ago, gwloyal said:

I agree to a degree. Our passing game does in fact need to get sync'ed up, and the only way to do that is thru repetition. But on the flip side, we do need to win. One thing I've noticed with this team is that the WR's block VERY well. We found some rhythm with in the run game with the motion handoff to Fowler and countered that with Luke on the keep. I agree...It's basic, and sure we need more going forward. But given the situation, I wasn't mad at it. I did see a couple of RPO wrinkles that left me encouraged. I'm with you that we have to get Houston, Kirtner, and Walters more involved to be more efficient tho. 

I don't hold that pick 6 squarely on Luke, either. That was a play action by design. All the safety has to do is not bite and the WR comes to him. 

None of those issues irk me more than our tendency to reverse/fake reverse kickoff returns, tho. That's a whole damn soapbox in itself for me. 

that reverse on kick off kills me, run 50yds to gain 5 lol why???

2 hours ago, gwloyal said:

You have no idea how much I love playing Radford right out of the gate every year. Win or lose, you guys always show us where our weaknesses are. 

5-5 might be realistic. Between you guys, Galax, and Graham...plus tough opponents like Rural Retreat, Fort Chiswell, Giles, Carroll, and a better coached Grayson team, I'd be thrilled with 6 wins lol!

I'm very hopeful and excited, to be honest.

3 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

i dont think we returned 4 starters on offense and not that many on d. i would have to check that. i know we need to get Ben, Lukes  brother back in a bad way. word on the street he should be ready to go in october. he might be the best skilled player on the team. 

57 minutes ago, GDUB said:

i dont think we returned 4 starters on offense and not that many on d. i would have to check that. i know we need to get Ben, Lukes  brother back in a bad way. word on the street he should be ready to go in october. he might be the best skilled player on the team. 

I here ya GDUB.  I was only going by what one of your fans told me at the game.  I had/have no idea what GW lost or returned until we played.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:14 PM, gwloyal said:

Well said and I'm with on him finally out coaching someone every if it was for 1 single play. But the Graham, Galax asks Giles game have me worried. We can win the Giles game if we actually show up to play. But Bradshaw will score at will on his D I'm guessing that game is a 65+ point game for the G-Men and Galax will literally do whatever they please. I think 6-4 is the absolute high water mark this season unless the kids come together and soon. Getting our actual starting QB back will help ALOT but the toughest games we have will be played without him so...

23 hours ago, GDUB said:

Between the last week of September and the second week of October.