Can you guys help me out with how school enrollment is calculated in VA

Fairlawncat

How is school enrollment specifically calculated in Virginia?  Meaning, lets say the VHSL website says a school has "1300" students.  Does that mean the school has 1300 students from grades 9 through 12, or does it mean the school has 1300 students from grades 10 through 12?

Also, same for WV.  In West Virginia, when they give enrollment numbers for athletics, are they totaling grades 9-12 or grades 10-12?

The reason I'm asking is this.  My brother in law and I got into a discussion on enrollment after talking about Martinsburg High, WV and Salem High of Salem, VA.  My brother in law lives in Salem and is a long time booster and supporter, etc.  He was trying to tell me Martinsburg had about 500 more students than Salem because Salem's numbers were calculated at 9-12 while Martinsburg's were calculated or totaled at 10-12, which meant Martinsburg had far, far more.  I told him this ain't right, or didn't sound right, and that Martinsburg only had at most a couple hundred more students than Salem.  Anyway, if you can help me out on the above questions, I would appreciate it.   I think he's just upset that Martinsburg has roughed em up for a couple of times now. 

It used to be 9-12, however, the rule has since changed. Enrollment now includes 9-11 and seniors are not counted for athletic purposes. 

For example, school enrollment for funding is calculated 9-12 as every student is needed to be counted for funding purposes. The same rule does not apply when it comes to athletics and classification.

In regards to Athletic participation, the numbers are usually turned into the VHSL in the spring, since seniors are on the cusp of graduating, it has been decided that only students in grades 9-11 would be submitted to VHSL. 

I am not sure at this time if 8th grade enrollment is added to that total, but the way that i understand it 8th grade students are not counted. The reason being, that most 8th graders are attending school in a different facility and although they would naturally be moving to the high school, there is no guarantee that they would be attending and therefore should not be included in the numbers. 

Hope this helps,

As of the March 2020 ADM figures, Salem has 1246. I'm not sure about the future, but this ADM is grades 9-12.
On this page... https://www.vhsl.org/alignment/alignmentdistrictregion-table/

The current VHSL handbook also references the ADM as being grades 9-12. It can be found here...https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AchkcF2QGRsPsZVcnCpWdvMb_5cCGIUo/view

For the 2021-2024 years, Martinsburg, WV has 1415. This is also grades 9-12.
It can be found here...https://www.wvmat.com/statetou/24classes.pdf
That enrollment also matches this one...https://www.wvssac.org/classificiations/classifications-aaa/

Thanks, so Martinsburg and Salem are about the same size or fairly close to it.   Dang, Martinsburg must be one bad outfit.  Also looking through those alignment numbers, I knew Graham was fairly small for a 2A schools, but they seem to be right on the cusp of 1A like we are at Radford.  Of course, we were for a bit before moving back up to 2A.  It doesn't seem like a bunch just by glancing, but schools like Richlands, Union, Gate City, Central Wise have a lot more kids than Graham or Radford.  Graham with 510 and Richlands with 680, Gate City with 652, Central Wise with 651 and Union with 652.  140 more kids may not seem like much if the schools have around 1300 kids for one of them and 1450 for the other, but when talking about numbers in the 500 and 600's, 140 to 150 more kids to choose from is a whole lot.  

Guys - apples & oranges.

VHSL uses ADM (state funding) numbers... NOT attendance or enrollment numbers, which can just be tossed out with little to back it up.

But, yeah, for now, VHSL #s are still 9-12. And they aren't "turned in".. they come from the state DoE.

ADM - Average Daily Membership. Done by the state twice a year - August & March.

42 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

It was 9-11 for YEARS. Dunno why they switched to 9-12 - just stupid.  

Yeah because the seniors have nothing to do with the numbers for the following season so that is odd that they count them.  Maybe Riverheads doesn't count their seniors