Week 2 updates.

SW_VA_boy

1 minute ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Graham would've been more polished tonight if they would've got to play Bluefield and got that benefit game in against Ridgeview. It was an ugly win tonight, but considering how things has went for them and several other teams in the area I'd be pleased.

Yep.  In Graham's defense, that's likely and probably about as bad as they can play.  One thing I noticed  Bradshaw, obviously a stud with around 150 receiving yds on 4 catches.  That's incredible stats, but...........that's also 4 touches.  4 touches for a guy the Notre Dame people are saying is one of the top must gets in their class is not a lot of touches.  I assume Graham will be more creative getting him the ball, even if its hand offs.  He needs 10 touches per game minimum.   He may have got handoffs.  I don't know and can't recall any, but if only 4 touches, that is far below enough with that kind of talent.

5 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Yep.  In Graham's defense, that's likely and probably about as bad as they can play.  One thing I noticed  Bradshaw, obviously a stud with around 150 receiving yds on 4 catches.  That's incredible stats, but...........that's also 4 touches.  4 touches for a guy the Notre Dame people are saying is one of the top must gets in their class is not a lot of touches.  I assume Graham will be more creative getting him the ball, even if its hand offs.  He needs 10 touches per game minimum.   He may have got handoffs.  I don't know and can't recall any, but if only 4 touches, that is far below enough with that kind of talent.

I thought he had more touches then that, I may be wrong, however.  He sure made the most of it when he did touch it, wow that kid is electric.  Pretty sure he had about 10-12 touches.

6 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Definitely with VHS in the mix. I still like Graham though.

It's hard to pick against talent and the GMen got it. Graham has Appo type talent and regardless of mistakes and stuff, you have to always feel good about your team when you know that with them taking the field at the 2A level, few if any teams are going to be more talented.  As good as Appo, Graham has a kid who might make All American and is going to UVA to start for 3 out of 4 years, and has another kid probably going to Notre Dame.  As good as Pennix and Lawing are, the two from Graham are right there or more, and Graham's other 9 of the 11 on the field are far from chump change.  They are very talented across the board for sure and that makes em dangerous.  It would absolutely be no surprise to me if they pulled a 2018 this year.  Also, no surprise if they didn't win the region.

53 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

1 year away for the wingers.  This game wasn't no 55-7 drubbing.    Giles made it respectable playing on the road against a team that returned a bunch.  I want to see this contest about 365 days from now.  I think it's much closer.

I don't know about that. The stat sheet doesn't read like that and it was not as close as the score showed in my humble opinion. Galax made, many, many mistakes second half. The Stats 

Screenshot_20210903-223533_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

It's hard to pick against talent and the GMen got it. Graham has Appo type talent and regardless of mistakes and stuff, you have to always feel good about your team when you know that with them taking the field at the 2A level, few if any teams are going to be more talented.  As good as Appo, Graham has a kid who might make All American and is going to UVA to start for 3 out of 4 years, and has another kid probably going to Notre Dame.  As good as Pennix and Lawing are, the two from Graham are right there or more, and Graham's other 9 of the 11 on the field are far from chump change.  They are very talented across the board for sure and that makes em dangerous.  It would absolutely be no surprise to me if they pulled a 2018 this year.  Also, no surprise if they didn't win the region.

They have depth this year also, something they haven't had a lot of in the recent past.  They have guys on the bench that can come in and perform well.

5 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

I don't know about that. The stat sheet doesn't read like that and it was not as close as the score showed in my humble opinion. Galax made, many, many mistakes second half. The Stats 

No doubt man, it sure seems like those fumbles kept it closer than the score shows.  I want Giles to be good.  Lots of connections there, including my freshmen year before moving to Radford.  I want Gate City to be good also.  For me personally, just not the same when these two are down.  Thinking of how solid Appy and P. Valley were for so long, and now Union, imagine Union just having the wheels come off and start going 2-8, 3-7, 4-6 for like 4 years or more in a row.  That would be weird and unthinkable.  Well, I'm so dang old that's how it feels with Giles and Gate City right now.  They were so good and so dominant for so long that I just can't understand or grasp, or accept that they are down. 

10 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

Galax has had issues holding on to the football for three weeks now (including benefit game). They will need to clean that up in the next few weeks. Radford, Graham and GW three of the next five games. 

Liberty(Bedford) 42, Fort Defiance 0

Nice win for the Minutemen.  Got to clear the bench in the 4th quarter (my son made his first varsity tackle tonight playing linebacker).  Marching band made their debut with their full show and sounded great (my youngest boy made his debut on the field there tonight).  First time LHS has shut anyone out in a long time.

This plus Hokies win and a victory by my grad school (Charlotte) over Duke.  Pretty nice football night for me all around.

1 hour ago, SW_VA_boy said:

I'm James May laughing at Jeremy Clarkson's homemade camper going down the highway level laughing at what just happened in Blacksburg.  Couldn't happen to a better death penalty deserving bunch.

I just watched the camper road trip clip from Top Gear. I've somehow missed this piece of comedy gold.

Jeremy: "Been on the go now pretty much seven hours. Could have flown to New York in that time. But no, here, drizzle, cold, frightened...And all I have to look forward to is camping with...a lunatic and a retard"

I think we can take our Graham goggles off now and be honest. They looked terrible. Hats off to Tazewell for keeping it more competitive than many thought it would be. 

Maybe with some practice Graham will improve and get more disciplined. My two cents here. After the game when the team is in the locker room the whole team needs to be in there. 4 or 5 outside doing a photo shoot while the team is getting chewed is poor discipline 

20 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

Grayson beating Carroll County was surprising as well. 

Stephen James is a heck of a coach. Must be a weird feeling for Benji Gosnell. Kid has only lost three games in four years of varsity football. 

Appo's Senior QB and last year's first team All-Stater Tre Lawing was injured on the very first play of the game.  Lawing is on Appo's kickoff return team and Appo received the opening kickoff and boom, Lawing hurt it shoulder and was taken immediately to the hospital   He did not return.  I haven't seen anything on how bad his injury is, but if he is out, that is a monumental loss for Appomattox.  It takes what is probably perceived as 17 point favorite over the second best team down to a possible winnable game for the second best team in Class 2.  I hope this kid is ok and makes a full recovery.

49 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

Giles had to pull all 14 Sophomores up to have enough to field a competitive team. Most of the defensive secondary and linebackers are sophomores. Yeah, they're going to get burned and be out of position a lot, but they're also going to learn. Some really good athletes in that sophomore class. Need to get some beef up front though.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I thought he had more touches then that, I may be wrong, however.  He sure made the most of it when he did touch it, wow that kid is electric.  Pretty sure he had about 10-12 touches.

@Real Sasquatch I know you will give me the most accurate and honest opinion, as I’ve not been able to make it to a Tazewell game yet, how are they looking? Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

Giles had to pull all 14 Sophomores up to have enough to field a competitive team. Most of the defensive secondary and linebackers are sophomores. Yeah, they're going to get burned and be out of position a lot, but they're also going to learn. Some really good athletes in that sophomore class. Need to get some beef up front though.

Exactly. Galax was expected to win and they did convincingly. Just like years past they have a solid program and will win Region C this year. I do see Giles giving Galax some real competition in 1C in the coming years.