Week 2 updates.

SW_VA_boy

7 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

@Real Sasquatch I know you will give me the most accurate and honest opinion, as I’ve not been able to make it to a Tazewell game yet, how are they looking? Thanks!

I know I’m not who you are asking for opinion but if it’s ok I’m going to weigh in anyway. Tazewell is scrappy and they have a pretty athletic group of skill players and players in their secondary. Jared Mullins is all heart on both sides of the ball and Cassius Harris both jump out to me, Creasy has looked better than he should given the situation. The line is really bad on the offensive side and not good on the defensive side. Both games they have been undersized and not as athletic as their opponents. The defense many times beats the ball to Creasy as I think they’ve now used three centers so far this season that I’ve counted. I think it may improve I can think of at least two starters on the line who didn’t play last night at all and one who hasn’t played in either game.  The biggest weakness besides the line is depth they have none. Harris, Mullins, Mullins, Mills, Witt and Huffman seem to all be in the game almost all of the time and by the end it shows, the poor kids are beat up and exhausted. I think they win four games this year against Mount View, Grundy, Marion and Battle the rest could be rough nights with some excitement from the above mentioned skill players and secondary but by the end just not enough depth to keep making up for the front. 

8 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

@Real Sasquatch I know you will give me the most accurate and honest opinion, as I’ve not been able to make it to a Tazewell game yet, how are they looking? Thanks!

They are a bit out-manned on the line, which was expected.  They have been scored on with big plays from both Virginia High and Graham.  Stevie Thomas from V-High and Bradshaw from Graham did the most damage, but they will do that to most teams they face.  They look disciplined and have good execution.  The freshman qb is going to be a special player, he is very accurate with his throws and is very poised in the pocket. Very rare to see for a freshman. He was under pressure on practically every play against Graham and got the ball out quick to his receivers most of the time.  They have a few young skill players (freshmen and sophomores) who are very athletic and will contribute.  I can see them winning a few games this season.  They are a young team, but the future looks very bright. They have simply been out-manned in the first 2 contests.  

9 hours ago, Topper22 said:

I don't know about that. The stat sheet doesn't read like that and it was not as close as the score showed in my humble opinion. Galax made, many, many mistakes second half. The Stats 

Screenshot_20210903-223533_Chrome.jpg

If Galax doesn't make all the mistakes which a lot were self inflicted this game may have been a 55-7  drubbing but that is merely speculation on my part. Galax has a very solid team if they can stay healthy and eliminate the mistakes. Better teams will capitalize on the mistakes so they have to get it cleaned up.

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They have depth this year also, something they haven't had a lot of in the recent past.  They have guys on the bench that can come in and perform well.

I agree with Mountain Football, downright embarrassing; 17 penalties, not kneeling for injured player, a player picking up a flag & throwing it, not every player in the locker room after the game…our boys have to be better than that.  However. the talent & depth overflowing IF Graham can knock off the rust, avoid anymore quarantines, and gain much needed discipline; they could be unstoppable. Right now, Graham is their own worst obstacle to going deep in the playoffs. I hope we don’t have these same issues next week. In 2018 they started out very undisciplined & seemed to start clicking about game four of five. I hope they start clicking 2nd game this year. 

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

The way the Kingsport times article read, it sounded like they were returning the bulk of the team.

That makes sense then.

That's what I was going by.  The paper has the QB and 2 RBs back and 3 lineman and a receiver and 6 back on defense

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree with Mountain Football, downright embarrassing; 17 penalties, not kneeling for injured player, a player picking up a flag & throwing it, not every player in the locker room after the game…our boys have to be better than that.  However. the talent & depth overflowing IF Graham can knock off the rust, avoid anymore quarantines, and gain much needed discipline; they could be unstoppable. Right now, Graham is their own worst obstacle to going deep in the playoffs. I hope we don’t have these same issues next week. In 2018 they started out very undisciplined & seemed to start clicking about game four of five. I hope they start clicking 2nd game this year. 

I agree with everything you said.  The talent on that team this year is flat out scary.  When I'm not cheering for Tazewell, I am cheering for Graham.  To see the lack of discipline was disappointing to say the least.  I can understand some of the procedural penalties because of the starting center being out and lack of practice.  However the roughness penalties and personal fouls and some of the on-the-field and off-the-field antics as you described is nothing more than distraction and lack of focus.  Attitude reflects leadership.  I'm sure Graham's coaches will get on top of things. A well-coached and disciplined team with some talent will beat Graham handily if they can't get their focus.   I have the utmost respect in the world for Graham's coaches, but they need to get on top of that yesterday.  

Radford looked athletic warming up, and looked athletic on the field, but didn't play as athletic as they looked. 

Both teams had small lines, and GC's might have been slightly better at times. The Bobcats did a good job taking Carson Jenkins out of the game.

Radford's QB showed flashes both running and throwing, but was very inconsistent. GC's QB didn't throw much but was decent when he did.

I don't see either team winning their respective regions, but it was an entertaining game nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

Radford looked athletic warming up, and looked athletic on the field, but didn't play as athletic as they looked. 

Both teams had small lines, and GC's might have been slightly better at times. The Bobcats did a good job taking Carson Jenkins out of the game.

Radford's QB showed flashes both running and throwing, but was very inconsistent. GC's QB didn't throw much but was decent when he did.

I don't see either team winning their respective regions, but it was an entertaining game nonetheless. 

What was the final no one posted a score

19 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

So, did Princeton really beat Bluefield?  Or am I asleep already?

How long has it been since Princeton beat Bluefield? Did ANYONE see this coming? Looking forward to the game with Pulaski.  Pulaski had a great showing this week.  You can't get any better than Dixon at the helm.  If Bluefield can't pull out a win, how long since they lost two in row? I wonder if they had key players out for Covid or something. 

Heck of a game.  Credit Gate City for about winning the game.  They got the best of us up front  They did an incredible job of neutralizing our speed.  I hope our kids learn a valuable lesson that you can't just show up and win.  Gate City threw some vicious licks on us.  As for the Jenkins kid, he is all that is advertised.  Actually, that's not true.  He's far, far more than advertised.  There is no way in one can tell me and make me believe this kid can not play MAJOR, FBS level slot WR with that speed and those hands.  We have some guys on our team that have track speed.  There were a few times when we were in perfect position defensively on some of those sweeps with Jenkins and our very fast defenders had the perfect angle, and the Jenkins kid would just "outrun" the angle.  He has absolutely BLAZING speed.  If this kid isn't offered higher than William and Mary, I will be surprised   

My take away from this game is not necessarily that Radford is "not as good" as thought.  I think we actually are pretty good.  I don't think it's necessarily that Gate City is far, far better than what we thought.  My take away is.......Richlands is the real deal.  They handled Gate City up front and we didn't.  Gate City, slightly got the better of us up front.  For a team (Richlands) that we blew completely out of the stadium about 6 months ago, they in my opinion have completely turned it around and are going to cause problems, major problems up front for Graham and Union in my opinion.  I just can't see Graham or Union beating Richlands by more than 10 points.  Time will tell.  Lastly, this game speaks to the strength of Region D.  Gate City isn't likely a top 6 team, arguably the 7th best team in 2D and they nearly won the game over the team in 2C that is right there with Glenvar and Gretna as the second best team in our Region.  Region D is very, very strong and has some great football teams.  

7 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Heck of a game.  Credit Gate City for about winning the game.  They got the best of us up front  They did an incredible job of neutralizing our speed.  I hope our kids learn a valuable lesson that you can't just show up and win.  Gate City threw some vicious licks on us.  As for the Jenkins kid, he is all that is advertised.  Actually, that's not true.  He's far, far more than advertised.  There is no way in one can tell me and make me believe this kid can not play MAJOR, FBS level slot WR with that speed and those hands.  We have some guys on our team that have track speed.  There were a few times when we were in perfect position defensively on some of those sweeps with Jenkins and our very fast defenders had the perfect angle, and the Jenkins kid would just "outrun" the angle.  He has absolutely BLAZING speed.  If this kid isn't offered higher than William and Mary, I will be surprised   

My take away from this game is not necessarily that Radford is "not as good" as thought.  I think we actually are pretty good.  I don't think it's necessarily that Gate City is far, far better than what we thought.  My take away is.......Richlands is the real deal.  They handled Gate City up front and we didn't.  Gate City, slightly got the better of us up front.  For a team (Richlands) that we blew completely out of the stadium about 6 months ago, they in my opinion have completely turned it around and are going to cause problems, major problems up front for Graham and Union in my opinion.  I just can't see Graham or Union beating Richlands by more than 10 points.  Time will tell.  Lastly, this game speaks to the strength of Region D.  Gate City isn't likely a top 6 team, arguably the 7th best team in 2D and they nearly won the game over the team in 2C that is right there with Glenvar and Gretna as the second best team in our Region.  Region D is very, very strong and has some great football teams.  

Jenkins is truly special, that’s for sure.  Radford did a good job against him and his speed.

1 hour ago, FootballFan67 said:

How long has it been since Princeton beat Bluefield? Did ANYONE see this coming? Looking forward to the game with Pulaski.  Pulaski had a great showing this week.  You can't get any better than Dixon at the helm.  If Bluefield can't pull out a win, how long since they lost two in row? I wonder if they had key players out for Covid or something. 

Looks like 2016 is last time Princeton beat Bluefield according to fourseasons

1 hour ago, FootballFan67 said:

2016 was the last time Bluefield lost to Princeton.  2016 is also the last time Bluefield lost 2 in a row.  Princeton wins over Bluefield are few and far between. As far as I know, Bluefield was at full strength.  Princeton played them close last season, but it's always a surprise to me when Princeton beats Bluefield.  The Bluefield - Graham,  Bluefield-Pulaski and Graham - Pulaski games are games that I would like to see.  I hope I can get to at least 2 of the 3.

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Stranger danger said:

GW not quite ready to welcome Giles to 1A. still confused?

Not at all there Skippy, I guess you thumping your chest when your team hadn't done anything yet had me scratching my head. But you do you if it makes  you feel better.lol 

4 hours ago, Stranger danger said:

GW not quite ready to welcome Giles to 1A. still confused?

17 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Haven't done anything?

I mean I would be confused as well, and certainly wouldn’t be bragging to much. especially since defeating a down GW team is the first 1A team Giles has beat since the 2018 season!!!!!