Eastside @ Lebanon (Thursday)

Pioneer

Both teams could use a win. The Pioneers are not the same team they were last season. They lost some of their major playmakers on offense and defense to graduation. Even though they are 0-2, I think they lost to 2 good teams in Honaker and PH. They struggle with teams who have big physical lines mixed with athletic skill players. Lebanon has however been in both games for a big part of the game. Lebanon  had opportunities in both games that could  have changed the outcome,  had they converted on them. They could be a dangerous team as the season progresses. Lebanon has 2 players in the backfield in Hertig and Olsen who can score from anywhere. I said in other post Lebanon is a year away from being pretty good and contending in the Hogo. They have 15 juniors on the roster, and only 3 seniors. They did return 6 players on both sides of the ball. At the moment they are still playing like a young team at times, but it will come. They will get better as the season progresses. 

My prediction for Thursday 

I think the Pioneers get their 1st win. 

Lebanon 28

Eastside 21

2 hours ago, Tigerking21 said:

Hard to judge Eastside as they've scrimmaged VA high, Union and played Central week 1. My prediction is Eastside 34- 27. Should be a good game!

Lebanon is better than people think. They lost to 2 good 1D teams. 

On 9/4/2021 at 8:44 AM, Pioneer said:

Both teams could use a win. The Pioneers are not the same team they were last season. They lost some of their major playmakers on offense and defense to graduation. Even though they are 0-2, I think they lost to 2 good teams in Honaker and PH. They struggle with teams who have big physical lines mixed with athletic skill players. Lebanon has however been in both games for a big part of the game. Lebanon  had opportunities in both games that could  have changed the outcome,  had they converted on them. They could be a dangerous team as the season progresses. Lebanon has 2 players in the backfield in Hertig and Olsen who can score from anywhere. I said in other post Lebanon is a year away from being pretty good and contending in the Hogo. They have 15 juniors on the roster, and only 3 seniors. They did return 6 players on both sides of the ball. At the moment they are still playing like a young team at times, but it will come. They will get better as the season progresses. 

My prediction for Thursday 

I think the Pioneers get their 1st win. 

Lebanon 28

Eastside 21

If Lebanon only beats Eastside by 7, alarm bells should be going off…

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

If Lebanon only beats Eastside by 7, alarm bells should be going off…

Yeah I've seen some bad teams but Eastside may be in top 10 worst I've seen.  I think twin springs will even take them down.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:36 PM, Pioneer said:

My initial prediction 28 to 21

Honestly I didn't know anything about Eastside, and was airing on the side of caution. The Pioneers should win easily on paper. After 2 loses against good teams I want to see what they can do. This one is a good one to find out. 

Lebanon should take this one easily. Eastside's defense is suspect at best and they dont do much well on offense either. Lebanon has had a rough schedule to start the season should bounce back this week. They just have too much overall speed. 

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

Lebanon should take this one easily. Eastside's defense is suspect at best and they dont do much well on offense either. Lebanon has had a rough schedule to start the season should bounce back this week. They just have too much overall speed. 

I still think Lebanon can be a 4 or 5 win team if they clean up some of their mistakes. Outside VA High, Rural Retreat, and one of the other Hogo contenders the schedule here on out is manageable.  I think they may be able to pull off an upset or two. I definitely see them winning against Eastside,  Castlewood and Northwood.  They may be able to beat GC if they can contain Jenkins somewhat.  I'd give Holston and Chilhowie the advantage against Lebanon so far. They could upset one of them. I think Va High, and Rural Retreat are definite loses. The rest of the games they should be in. 

They could easily be 2-0 if they played mistake free and converted on the other teams mistakes both of the first 2 games were closer than the final score. 

On 9/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, Tigerking21 said:

Hard to judge Eastside as they've scrimmaged VA high, Union and played Central week 1. My prediction is Eastside 34- 27. Should be a good game!

My score was off 6. I knew it would be a good game. Read where someone said Lebanon was real young. Should only get better. Great win for Eastside!

I was very optimistic about Lebanon's potential in the Hogo after their season last year, but goodness gracious, that's out the window at this point. It would certainly appear that this is going to be long season for the 'neers.

40 minutes ago, UK_Cats_Fan said:

I've seen both Eastside and Lebanon play and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say whoever scores first will win the ballgame.

Well the game is already over… so…

9 hours ago, Tigerking21 said:

My score was off 6. I knew it would be a good game. Read where someone said Lebanon was real young. Should only get better. Great win for Eastside!

1 senior starting, 15 total juniors. Their best running back was also out last night.

6 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

At least Lebanon has that baseball state championship to gloat about for a while.....

True ..more to high school sports than just football. The football team will get better they are young. 

1 hour ago, Pioneer said:

True ..more to high school sports than just football. The football team will get better they are young. 

And to be fair the Lebanon wrestling program has gotten solid too. I know a lot of folks in the Grundy wrestling program who talks about how good Lebanon has gotten over the years. If Grundy wrestling associates compliments you then you know you're doing things right.

4 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

And to be fair the Lebanon wrestling program has gotten solid too. I know a lot of folks in the Grundy wrestling program who talks about how good Lebanon has gotten over the years. If Grundy wrestling associates compliments you then you know you're doing things right.

Yes that's high praise from Grundy. The only sports Lebanon struggles with is really football and golf. They are competitive or good in every other sport. I see the football team improving over the next few years hopefully. I think the move to 1A will help over time. 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:59 PM, Plywood_King said:

I was very optimistic about Lebanon's potential in the Hogo after their season last year, but goodness gracious, that's out the window at this point. It would certainly appear that this is going to be long season for the 'neers.

This season is all about growth. I myself expected them to be better, until I saw what they had. They are starting only 1 senior, with 3 on their roster. They have 15 juniors on their roster, the rest to my knowledge are sophomores. They are improving with every game. They play like a young team, they make head scratching mistakes, and then show flashes of what they could be in the future. They were also without their best player and athlete against Eastside, having him on the field is usually worth 2 tds. They are about a year away from being a contender in the hogo. They will have some talented freshman who will start next season moving up from jv. One of which is a QB who has the potential to be very special. He can run, has good size and arm strength and can throw it accurately. If he was on varsity now he would start honestly as an 8th grader. He is that good. His main receivers should be moving up with him. As long as the varsity coaches use those players correctly and install a wide open offense that the JV currently has,  they could be special next season.  I see Lebanon winning 2 or 3, I think they beat Castlewood and Northwood and maybe pull an upset down the road.