Graham vs Richlands

Gridiron60

I would probably would have picked Richlands to win if they didn't have to shut down. Now Graham has a game under their belt and I expect Richlands to be the more rusty team this week. Graham has got to clean up those penalties and I think they do. No way they have 20+ penalties for 150+ yards again right? I think it'll be close early but Graham pulls away towards the 2nd quarter.

Graham - 42

Richlands - 17

On 9/4/2021 at 10:15 AM, FoxTrot said:

I can’t wait to see the response after Graham/Richlands game on Friday!!  Graham starts out every year undisciplined and continues to get better each week. Graham will win this game by 3TD’s!

I would say you may be correct, but Graham has a tendency early in the season to have tds called back or drives stopped because of penalties.  If so, I'll take Richlands in a close one  With Union looming the following week, they need to cut out the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike stuff too.  Can't afford to get somebody ejected and miss that game.

19 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would say you may be correct, but Graham has a tendency early in the season to have tds called back or drives stopped because of penalties.  If so, I'll take Richlands in a close one  With Union looming the following week, they need to cut out the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike stuff too.  Can't afford to get somebody ejected and miss that game.

I’m hoping they clean up the penalties and definitely cannot afford any ejections. An ejection in Central game cost them a starter in 2019 against Appomattox. With Covid and never knowing who may get quarantined, as many players as possible are needed. No excuses for getting ejected. If we see another 17 penalties, that will bode well for Richlands and probably Union both. I’m trusting our coaching staff to get ‘er done this week!!!

21 hours ago, -oo- said:

I would probably would have picked Richlands to win if they didn't have to shut down. Now Graham has a game under their belt and I expect Richlands to be the more rusty team this week. Graham has got to clean up those penalties and I think they do. No way they have 20+ penalties for 150+ yards again right? I think it'll be close early but Graham pulls away towards the 2nd quarter.

Graham - 42

Richlands - 17

I predict that they have less that 20 penalties but still more than 10.  Just what Graham has been over past several years.  Graham has a pretty good defense and Bradshaw looks like he has improved over last year.  Hit him with the ball with just a bit of space and watch him go.  Don't see anything Richlands can do to stop that.  I will support Richlands more than I ever did with their new coach but don't see them pulling this one out.  I'm picking Graham in a tight one for a bit but then opening it up by about 14 points.

Richlands should consider slowing the game down, limit the GMEN touches, it seems to frustrate them. The offense should use every second of the play clock and use that big line and QB to run the ball. Play keep away from Mr Bradshaw and make him defend 20 + play drives on defense, it seems to work for Union

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Richlands should consider slowing the game down, limit the GMEN touches, it seems to frustrate them. The offense should use every second of the play clock and use that big line and QB to run the ball. Play keep away from Mr Bradshaw and make him defend 20 + play drives on defense, it seems to work for Union

That would be a good plan.  Graham's defense looks stronger and faster than last season.  A lot of speed in the secondary and very good DL and Lbs.  A little overly aggressive on defense.   Screen passes and mis-direction would cause them problems.  They tend to over-pursue.  But they have good speed to recover.

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

They didn't have Bradshaw against Union in the playoffs...

52 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

But he isn't a DT, he's not gonna be able to stop the inside runs that really hurt Graham.

DT is probably Graham’s strength with Roberts and Meadows. The only time I have seen anyone run up the middle on Graham was Union last year. I think a lack of practice and the fact that they had to move their LBs around due to both starting safeties being out, but I guess we will see if Covid allows it to happen in 9/16.

49 minutes ago, Gfan said:

DT is probably Graham’s strength with Roberts and Meadows. The only time I have seen anyone run up the middle on Graham was Union last year. I think a lack of practice and the fact that they had to move their LBs around due to both starting safeties being out, but I guess we will see if Covid allows it to happen in 9/16.

Union has three RBs that would start for any team in the region, they won't be easy to stop but I worry if Graham gets an early lead, they'll struggle to come back. 

42 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union has three RBs that would start for any team in the region, they won't be easy to stop but I worry if Graham gets an early lead, they'll struggle to come back. 

I think you are correct. The game plan for both teams is pretty simple. Union has to get a lead and chew clock. Shorten the game as much as possible. Graham needs to manufacture touches for 8 and 5. If either gets the ball in the open field they can score. Graham will be tough for any team they play to beat in a shootout.

Union has three studs interchangeable that haul the pigskin. Lomax can run around you or just take the short cut and run over you. I've paid attention to Satterfield on Defense. Kid lays the leather on the opposing running back. And by the way, he also gets there in a hurry.

With Union and Graham in my opinion this year, the athletic gap and line gap has closed this year. Meaning, Graham always perceived as much more athletic is not much more athletic across the board as Union this year. They still hold the edge in athleticism, but not much. Union, perceived as more talented on the line in my opinion still has the edge over Graham, but with Graham's depth and maturity on the line this year, that gap has also closed. 

Going to be a heck of a game when those juggernaut s battle. Graham looks to me to be as good as they have been on the line since 2018 when they last won a title. Union to me, as a whole, looks more athletic across the board than the team that lost the nailbiter to Appo years ago.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:01 AM, Gridiron60 said:

Will it be another yellow flagged event for Graham? Competitive game? Does Graham find much needed discipline? How does Richlands do coming off quarantine with little practice? 

I've not witnessed it first-hand, but why is Graham considered so undisciplined?

51 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I've not witnessed it first-hand, but why is Graham considered so undisciplined?

Honestly, I think a lot of it against Tazewell had to do with lack of practice & reps but we do seem to get a lot of flags the first few gsmes even in a normal season. They usually work out the kinks. Continuity is hard when a team gets quarantined and you continue to have players here & there get quarantined again. Lucky is the tram that hasn’t been affected by the Covid quarantine crap shoot! Hopefully, the GMen look much better this Friday night.