Semifinal Locations

UnionGuy2017

Couldn’t recover my password so here is my first post on the new account.. 

How are they going to decide Semi final locations this year? Will it be like last year and be C champ traveling to D champ, etc across all divisions, or will we go back to a power point situation?

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Couldn’t recover my password so here is my first post on the new account.. 

How are they going to decide Semi final locations this year? Will it be like last year and be C champ traveling to D champ, etc across all divisions, or will we go back to a power point situation?

I could be wrong but I think it rotates every year between C and D. I don’t think power points matters for the semi final.

13 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

SWVAgridiron, I thought it actually Did come down to power points, but the exception was this spring due to Covid. I know it used to rotate back and forth for decades, but I think it's power points now..I may be wrong.

You might be right. The Covid season has everything all confused lol 

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m sure you Appo folks do, lol! Just picking at ya! 

Yea that 267mile trip, putting the kids in a hotel, when you’re  the one seed was kinda rough. That’s ok though, great atmosphere and made the win all the sweeter. 

34 minutes ago, BoBob said:

Yea that 267mile trip, putting the kids in a hotel, when you’re  the one seed was kinda rough. That’s ok though, great atmosphere and made the win all the sweeter. 

Hopefully last year was an anomaly with Covid.  Pretty sure it was power points before that.  For example, the year Appo traveled to Union and lost a close game, keep in mind there were two number one seeds, not just one.  There was a one seed in Region D, and Appo, the one seed in Region C.   Union went undefeated that year in regular season and Appo lost one regular season game.  I wouldn't be surprised if Union actually outpointed Appo, forcing Appo to travel to Union.  With the Covid Spring, the state title games are/were more centrally located in Virginia, and Region's A and D are closer to the Eastern and Western Ends of the State.  This is why they made Region's B and C travel in the semi's I would guess, but don't know for sure.

6 minutes ago, BoBob said:

I thought we were the lower seed in 2017 (overall power points). The close game we won. 
I’ve been wrong more than once in my life though. 

We were the lower seed that year.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Should be 4vs1 and 2vs3 based on points despite travel.  Get some different Matches? Instead of AvsB and CvsD all the time. 

The travel of a few years ago was ridiculous even though it did provide some great matchups. Maybe a compromise?

Rather than a regional championship game, how about #1C host #2D and #1D host #2C. They basically already do that in basketball, volleyball and baseball.

Then the team with the highest PowerPoint rating hosts the semifinal. Might work out were both teams are D or C, or C hosts D and vise versa. It could also eliminate a rematch within the region.

This year, the way the M7 and SW are playing each other so much in the regular season, the regional champion might be on their 3rd rematch. Makes for some less than exciting playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

The travel of a few years ago was ridiculous even though it did provide some great matchups. Maybe a compromise?

Rather than a regional championship game, how about #1C host #2D and #1D host #2C. They basically already do that in basketball, volleyball and baseball.

Then the team with the highest PowerPoint rating hosts the semifinal. Might work out were both teams are D or C, or C hosts D and vise versa. It could also eliminate a rematch within the region.

This year, the way the M7 and SW are playing each other so much in the regular season, the regional champion might be on their 3rd rematch. Makes for some less than exciting playoffs.

Yeah I was all for the 1-16 matchups until we had to go to Dan River and Appomattox.  Way too much traveling.  Since we've become Union though no trips have been worse than the Clarke Co trip though

4 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah I was all for the 1-16 matchups until we had to go to Dan River and Appomattox.  Way too much traveling.  Since we've become Union though no trips have been worse than the Clarke Co trip though

Oh my, now that was a drive, over the hills and through the woods. Clarke had a good field but no stands, well not enough for Union. We were outplayed that day , our d coach was clueless about their offense, we’re we a better team…..not that day, In the end it was toooo far to travel for a SEMI final game, right at 380 miles and 6 hours

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Oh my, now that was a drive, over the hills and through the woods. Clarke had a good field but no stands, well not enough for Union. We were outplayed that day , our d coach was clueless about their offense, we’re we a better team…..not that day, In the end it was toooo far to travel for a SEMI final game, right at 380 miles and 6 hours

Thats a long ride for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Bet it wouldn't have been such a big deal if y'all had won huh

I could be in the minority — but I loved the 16 team era. 
Richlands had fun matchups with teams we’d never seen before like Wilson Memorial, Buckingham Co., Appomattox & Stuart’s Draft. 

Loved all of those road trips (and seeing Buckingham come to Ernie Hicks). 

6 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands had fun matchups with teams we’d never seen before like Wilson Memorial, Buckingham Co., Appomattox & Stuart’s Draft. 

Never bothered me to travel either

37 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’d rather travel 3 hours to Wilson Memorial than travel to Graham or Union etc. 

Agree completely.  To me the travel to a new away stadium is one of the thrills of football.  Seeing a rematch has never been a favorite of mine.   How many rematches we have had with Graham over the years in the playoffs gets old regardless the outcome of it.  Only thing I can think of to help the current situation is to stop playing so many SWD vs M7 games in the regular season.

55 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'm with ya.  I liked the added excitement of playing someone new.  

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Same.  I loved seeing Lee/Appomattox, Graham/James River, Glenvar/Central, etc.  I honestly wish we’d go back to that, especially since Region D is down to 11 teams.

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Bet it wouldn't have been such a big deal if y'all had won huh

you are right, but the single wing or whatever they ran confused our d coach, that along with the D END BEING HURT DIDNT help......oh yeah the refs cheated us wink wink wink.BETTER TEAM THAT DAY!!!!!