GW vs Giles

Jollay, living rent free

From what I seen Friday night Giles is not quite back to being the Giles of old, they still got a lot of work to do to get back to there old dominant days. GW should probably handle them pretty good if GW is as good as some some they are.

4 starters didn’t dress for the Galax game and we lost 2 more in the first quarter(would not have changed the overall outcome) I’m curious to see if any of the 6 return this week. Without those 6 I think this game comes down to the last minute. If we can return some then I’m taking Giles by two scores.

Just now, MT FAN 91 said:

I didn't know they had that many starters out, curious to see how they look with all the starters. Maybe they will he closer to the Giles of old with all the starters. 

I think we’re still a year or 2 away from the Giles of old since a majority of our starters are juniors and sophomores.

21 hours ago, MT FAN 91 said:

From what I seen Friday night Giles is not quite back to being the Giles of old, they still got a lot of work to do to get back to there old dominant days. GW should probably handle them pretty good if GW is as good as some some they are.

who is saying GW is good lol lol. our coaches make no adjustments and think the spread is a run first offense. ahahhhahah they are not good. the team or coaches if there is any confusion

1 hour ago, GDUB said:

who is saying GW is good lol lol. our coaches make no adjustments and think the spread is a run first offense. ahahhhahah they are not good. the team or coaches if there is any confusion

If I remember right there was a couple on here talking about how they would put it on Radford so to me some on here think they are pretty good....

9 hours ago, MT FAN 91 said:

If I remember right there was a couple on here talking about how they would put it on Radford so to me some on here think they are pretty good....

well you could chalk that up to HOPE!! HAHAHAHHAHA, hope that our coaches werent the same coaches who make no adjustments, who dont coach to their talent but coach only the schemes they know. run the same 5 to 6 plays a game thinking if we run it 5 times in a row it will fool the defense. like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. so frustrating. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:20 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

4 starters didn’t dress for the Galax game and we lost 2 more in the first quarter(would not have changed the overall outcome) I’m curious to see if any of the 6 return this week. Without those 6 I think this game comes down to the last minute. If we can return some then I’m taking Giles by two scores.

Any news on starters for this week?

23 hours ago, GDUB said:

Could not agree more now I will say the kids are ALOT! Better than the coaching. We have talent all over the field but it's hard to show when the head coach runs the same play 8 times in a row. And as you said makes absolutely zero adjustments during the game or in practice. Plus our starting QB isn't really our starting QB his twin brother is and he is out until at least the last week of September maybe into October.

13 hours ago, GDUB said:

well you could chalk that up to HOPE!! HAHAHAHHAHA, hope that our coaches werent the same coaches who make no adjustments, who dont coach to their talent but coach only the schemes they know. run the same 5 to 6 plays a game thinking if we run it 5 times in a row it will fool the defense. like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. so frustrating. 

If they could keep that strategy up until October 1st, I’d really appreciate it and so would GMen coaching staff I’m sure! 😂😂😂😂 

11 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

If GW runs the same plays 8 times in a row we may have a shot Friday night...I will tell our coach what GWs tendacies are..

What play do they run over and over? That would help to know that also

Jet power to the left repeatedly or QB up the middle. Not being an ass but it's not a secret haha go watch any film if you have nfhs network go watch GW vs FC you will see it lol.

11 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

If GW runs the same plays 8 times in a row we may have a shot Friday night...I will tell our coach what GWs tendacies are..

What play do they run over and over? That would help to know that also

And on top of that our defense will literally not change the whole game. The only difference will be a blitz once or twice a Q other than that it stays the same. And if you can throw the ball the middle of the field will be WIDE OPEN ALL NIGHT! We don't use a safety we step an extra LB back 3-4 steps.

I find is funny that yall are complaining about a coach running the same plays over and over. IMO the best offensive team on this side of the state (Union, Graham, and Central) probably have the simplest play books in the state. Union run their T formation and run trap, power, and sweep and are really good at it. Graham is a spread team that runs middle school level concepts they have great athletes and are very good at a small number of plays. Central runs the wing t that hasnt changed in years and they have a group of seniors that have been playing varsity for 3 years and they are mean SOBs and hit you in the mouth. When GW was really good they ran Jet Power and Q trap thats it but they were really good at it. Giles offense hasnt changed since 1928 and they run it up peewee up that why they are good. When you start changing a bunch of stuff and run a whole lot of different plays that means they arnt good at anything and you are asking 16 year old kids that cant stay off of tik toc to learn 5 or 6 different schemes. That is how to block a play one way. you double that for the other direction so 10-12. then you multiply that for the different defenses you see during a season so 4-3, 3-4, 3-3 stack, 4-2, and your bear front that a lot of teams like down here. So now you are asking a kid to learn 50 to 60 new plays. Just saying what the coaches call during the game is not the issue adding plays during the season is just going to confuse these kids. Execution is more important than play call. 

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I find is funny that yall are complaining about a coach running the same plays over and over. IMO the best offensive team on this side of the state (Union, Graham, and Central) probably have the simplest play books in the state. Union run their T formation and run trap, power, and sweep and are really good at it. Graham is a spread team that runs middle school level concepts they have great athletes and are very good at a small number of plays. Central runs the wing t that hasnt changed in years and they have a group of seniors that have been playing varsity for 3 years and they are mean SOBs and hit you in the mouth. When GW was really good they ran Jet Power and Q trap thats it but they were really good at it. Giles offense hasnt changed since 1928 and they run it up peewee up that why they are good. When you start changing a bunch of stuff and run a whole lot of different plays that means they arnt good at anything and you are asking 16 year old kids that cant stay off of tik toc to learn 5 or 6 different schemes. That is how to block a play one way. you double that for the other direction so 10-12. then you multiply that for the different defenses you see during a season so 4-3, 3-4, 3-3 stack, 4-2, and your bear front that a lot of teams like down here. So now you are asking a kid to learn 50 to 60 new plays. Just saying what the coaches call during the game is not the issue adding plays during the season is just going to confuse these kids. Execution is more important than play call. 

We're not saying have this extremely complex play book. We're saying don't run literally the exact same play over and over and over expecting different results. That's the definition of insanity go watch any film on GW. You'll see we do nothing but jet sweep, QB up the middle, and power off the edges in the run game. And out of those we will run the exact same play repeatedly even if it gets stuff every time. And if we have success on something and get inside the 5 we then do the exact opposite of what has worked.

36 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

We're not saying have this extremely complex play book. We're saying don't run literally the exact same play over and over and over expecting different results. That's the definition of insanity go watch any film on GW. You'll see we do nothing but jet sweep, QB up the middle, and power off the edges in the run game. And out of those we will run the exact same play repeatedly even if it gets stuff every time. And if we have success on something and get inside the 5 we then do the exact opposite of what has worked.

Like I said jet Q trap and power have been GWs best plays for years if you can stop that then you win. Nothing has changed on the coaches side kids are just not executing at the level that we are use to seeing therefore it look like crap

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Like I said jet Q trap and power have been GWs best plays for years if you can stop that then you win. Nothing has changed on the coaches side kids are just not executing at the level that we are use to seeing therefore it look like crap

Exactly...loss of talent and first thing getting blame is the coach..,it's the easy out

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Exactly...loss of talent and first thing getting blame is the coach..,it's the easy out

So what have a won with his offense? Name the last team GW has beat that they were not suppose to have beat? you unwittingly proved my point. they’ve had a change in talent levels to smaller lines and now have quarterback who can make every throw but they run about 50 times a game and throw it 6-7 so the talent level hasn’t really dropped off it it’s transformed to the wideouts and the line is smaller which will not translate to a power running game. the coaches can’t change their coaching style to the talent they have so they keep pushing this running game that’s not there. that’s the point I was making good coaches adapt to the talent they have.