GW vs Giles

Jollay, living rent free

2 minutes ago, GDUB said:

So what have a won with his offense? Name the last team GW has beat that they were not suppose to have beat? you unwittingly proved my point. they’ve had a change in talent levels to smaller lines and now have quarterback who can make every throw but they run about 50 times a game and throw it 6-7 so the talent level hasn’t really dropped off it it’s transformed to the wideouts and the line is smaller which will not translate to a power running game. the coaches can’t change their coaching style to the talent they have so they keep pushing this running game that’s not there. that’s the point I was making good coaches adapt to the talent they have. 

Haha ok

15 hours ago, GDUB said:

So what have a won with his offense? Name the last team GW has beat that they were not suppose to have beat? you unwittingly proved my point. they’ve had a change in talent levels to smaller lines and now have quarterback who can make every throw but they run about 50 times a game and throw it 6-7 so the talent level hasn’t really dropped off it it’s transformed to the wideouts and the line is smaller which will not translate to a power running game. the coaches can’t change their coaching style to the talent they have so they keep pushing this running game that’s not there. that’s the point I was making good coaches adapt to the talent they have. 

Yeah I can see where pulling for a team that under Harner only won 70% of their games and won 11 playoff games and is over .500 against 2A teams would be really hard.. Harner is a damn good coach, sometime is a prick, but still a good coach. He has never made it to Salem but that would just be to get your hopes up because no body on this side of the state is beat Riverheads. He actually does a great job with his pass concepts in recent year from what I have seen but there is no telling how they execute those concepts at practice which could be a reason they dont get called much in the game. Everyone has bad years look at Richlands in 2017 where the got into the playoff with a losing record and still almost beat the region champs in the first round. GW will be fine, I wouldnt be calling for the coaches head though that has had that much success.

20 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Like I said jet Q trap and power have been GWs best plays for years if you can stop that then you win. Nothing has changed on the coaches side kids are just not executing at the level that we are use to seeing therefore it look like crap

Yeah sure same exact thing but you're not getting the concept that it is the same play literally 7-8 time in a row. Same side of the field same kid running it same everything. I've seen other coaches stack on side of the field and he keep running there. Mark Dixon and the LB #33 were call out our plays before we ran them. Not just saying it's going left no actually calling the name of the play. And no blaming the coaching isn't an easy out go look on preps where I made it perfectly clear WE WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN 6 GAMES. Graham will hang 60+ on us like we aren't on the field. So will Galax and Giles will probably beat us by 3+ scores unless they're really down. RR will gut us all night the only teams we will look like GW against are Bland and Auburn. 3 wins might actually be our cap this season and it will not surprise me. Go watch any recent film on GW with an objective view and come back and tell me you seriously believe we have good coaching. And as GDub said yes we are smaller on the line but the rest hasn't changed. GW is still loaded at all the skills our current QB isn't even a QB he's our best WR his twin is our real QB. The only place we've taken a bump is the line and it's not really skill on the line we've lost its size. Also as GDub said who the hell have we beat since harmer has been the Coach? We haven't beat a single opponent that was a challenge not one they've all been gimmes. Every time he has to actually do his job he is embarrassed go really watch the film go really look at the "wins". Ask 99% of GW faithful fans he is hated as coach not because we haven't won a title but because he is an absolutely terrible coach. The kids don't like him or respect him our numbers has steadily went down every year since he came it's all been bad. Thing of the GW teams from the past with H.S, Pruitt, Russell, Wheeler ect they all had the respect of the players and fans alike this man has neither.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Paul Wheeler, that's a blast from the past. Heck of a football coach.

Billy Haun from way back in the day. Went from being GWs Head Coach in the mid 80s and on up through the ranks to later become the Executive Director of the VHSL. I think he is now with VA Dept of Education. 

46 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Billy Haun from way back in the day. Went from being GWs Head Coach in the mid 80s and on up through the ranks to later become the Executive Director of the VHSL. I think he is now with VA Dept of Education. 

Billy Haun has made quite a name for himself since the 80s. Kudos to him!

Not a Harner fan here, but that has nothing to do with offensive play calling. Ironically, I feel like his best coaching jobs have been with his least talented teams. 

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

And back to the GW-Giles talk lol

So glad this series is back! Giles has without a doubt been my favorite program to follow (other than GW, of course) since the 80's. Seeing a schedule with you guys and Radford on it just feels right. 

Good luck my Spartan friends!

4 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

Not a Harner fan here, but that has nothing to do with offensive play calling. Ironically, I feel like his best coaching jobs have been with his least talented teams. 

So glad this series is back! Giles has without a doubt been my favorite program to follow (other than GW, of course) since the 80's. Seeing a schedule with you guys and Radford on it just feels right. 

Same to you

45 minutes ago, gwloyal said: 

I’m glad this series has picked back up as well. I remember some great games between Giles/GW especially as a player. Good luck to you guys tomorrow. I’ll be stationed at the 40 yard line underneath the train horn lol. Hopefully we’ll get to see a great, injury free game.

12 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Yeah I can see where pulling for a team that under Harner only won 70% of their games and won 11 playoff games and is over .500 against 2A teams would be really hard.. Harner is a damn good coach, sometime is a prick, but still a good coach. He has never made it to Salem but that would just be to get your hopes up because no body on this side of the state is beat Riverheads. He actually does a great job with his pass concepts in recent year from what I have seen but there is no telling how they execute those concepts at practice which could be a reason they dont get called much in the game. Everyone has bad years look at Richlands in 2017 where the got into the playoff with a losing record and still almost beat the region champs in the first round. GW will be fine, I wouldnt be calling for the coaches head though that has had that much success.

won 70% of games against bland, marion grayson ( a lot of wins against them when they were AA) RR Fort ( who he has most wins from and out talents for AA) Auburn Carroll county, he has 7 automatics a year on just pure talent alone!! when is the last time he beat galax or radford? not in last 5 years. loses to galax 2 times a year. its bad when dixon was calling out our plays from his sideline when we were on O!! Ive watched a few practices and they throw maybe 10 times and work on hands offs the rest. Pass concepts? it was throw deep to Vegas thompson who is at VMI no concept there. He beats every corner in SWVA just throw 50/50 balls and 95% of time thompson gets it. He lost to radford as predicted, will get boat raced against graham and will proceed to lose against galax.  then play galax again in playoffs and lose again! ( ground hog day) i guess if you think on beating up on a bunch less talented teams is success then I guess its a success. on that note LETS GO GW!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, GDUB said:

won 70% of games against bland, marion grayson ( a lot of wins against them when they were AA) RR Fort ( who he has most wins from and out talents for AA) Auburn Carroll county, he has 7 automatics a year on just pure talent alone!! when is the last time he beat galax or radford? not in last 5 years. loses to galax 2 times a year. its bad when dixon was calling out our plays from his sideline when we were on O!! Ive watched a few practices and they throw maybe 10 times and work on hands offs the rest. Pass concepts? it was throw deep to Vegas thompson who is at VMI no concept there. He beats every corner in SWVA just throw 50/50 balls and 95% of time thompson gets it. He lost to radford as predicted, will get boat raced against graham and will proceed to lose against galax.  then play galax again in playoffs and lose again! ( ground hog day) i guess if you think on beating up on a bunch less talented teams is success then I guess its a success. on that note LETS GO GW!!!!!!!

Why don't you apply for the job? Doubt you would win 50% lol

1 minute ago, GDUB said:

I WOULD BE NO LESS SUCCESSFUL!! TEACHING AND COACHING WOULDNT TOUCH MY BILLS AT THIS POINT BUT ONCE KIDS OUT OF COLLEGE DONT THINK I WONT.

Let me know when you do so I can follow your career and keep up with your stellar winning percentage and all those state titles you will bring to wytheville

GW has not had a losing season in 25 consecutive seasons and only has 2 in the last 32. I understand at face value, with Harner’s win-loss record a lot of folks can’t understand why some folks from Wytheville have gripes. The truth is that we were winning at that rate long before Harner arrived. We certainly didn’t flourish overnight under his watch. There are some legitimate concerns as to why we haven’t gotten over the hump during his time here. Yes, some is due to competition (particularly Galax and Riverheads), but we have, in fact, had teams that underachieved. 

However, the man has maintained our ability to remain competitive. As I’ve mentioned, I feel like his best coaching jobs have been with our lesser talented teams. While I’m not sure he’ll ever be a guy that can get us over the hump like we’ve been able to do in the past, things aren’t as bad as some from Wytheville make it out to be. He’ll still find ways to drive me bonkers….I’m confident in that lol! But our kids still play hard, and that’s the main thing to me. 

GW very well might snap that 25 year streak this season. Time will tell. Between a beefed up schedule and a lack of experience, it’ll be a tough year. But we cannot place the blame on Harner if that doesn’t happen. As a matter of fact, a 5-5 season would be a helluva job on his part. 

Sorry. Off my soapbox on the subject lol 

It wasn’t pretty but it did come down to the wire as I imagined. Thankfully the Spartans jumped out to an early 13 point lead because after that we could not finish drives. Giles is still down 7 total starters and will hopefully get them back within the next few weeks. It’s still early but I do think this team can finish with an 8-2 regular season record. Two young schools left it out on the field. The games between these two in the coming years should be fun. 

6 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It wasn’t pretty but it did come down to the wire as I imagined. Thankfully the Spartans jumped out to an early 13 point lead because after that we could not finish drives. Giles is still down 7 total starters and will hopefully get them back within the next few weeks. It’s still early but I do think this team can finish with an 8-2 regular season record. Two young schools left it out on the field. The games between these two in the coming years should be fun. 

What was the final score?

25 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Great game, and congrats Spartans. 

You're absolutely right...The coming years very well could make for some classics. 

Losses are always disappointing, but proud of our effort. Neither team played a perfect game, and it damn sure wasn't officiated perfect for either side lol! But it was a very good game to watch all the same. The final minute of that game brought back a lot of "big game" feelings between us two. Regardless of the outcome....That was awesome!