Week 3 updates

bulldog05-CO2017

3 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Grundy 20, Blacksburg 19.  

A team that won the 3A State Title in 2016 and a team that was probably the best 4A team in 2017 losing a nailbiter to Salem and Salem went on to win the state title easily.  Now, in only a 4 year period, they are 0-2.  Those two losses for Blacksburg, the Class 4 school comes at the hands of Giles Class 1, and Grundy, Class 1.  Now it's one thing to struggle or have a down season, and I know Giles and Blacksburg is an opening traditional rival game dating back to the old New River, but going from a State Title in 16 at 3A and probably should have had another in 17 at the 4A level to losing to not one, but two Class 1 schools to open the season.  Craziness.

It’s sad. A school their size in a college town  should dominate.

It's been discussed as Galax in the West and a host of others fighting for that 2 spot or the second best team behind Galax  I've heard Chilhowie, Burton, Holston, Narrows, Giles, George Wythe, Patrick Henry.  I think Grundy was left out.  I watched Grundy in the scrimmage against Richlands.  No question, Richlands dominated on the scoreboard, but Grundy actually pushed Richlands off the ball a LOT in that game and was able to get big chunks on the ground.  If Grundy can not turn the ball over and not get 1st and 15's with false starts, etc, they can be a problem at the Class 1 level because they are actually pretty good up front.  Meaning, I think Grundy is in the conversation with the host of others as second best behind Galax.

1 minute ago, olewave said:

A school of 1200+ had 24 players 🤔. They would finish in 4th place in the BDD!!!

And I can understand the above for a 4A program with low numbers and turnout and not a football school.  There are some like that.  The head scratcher is what they have done in the last 60 months, a state title and a near miss, likely should have had 2 state titles.  Now, that is one serious fall from the top.

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

It's been discussed as Galax in the West and a host of others fighting for that 2 spot or the second best team behind Galax  I've heard Chilhowie, Burton, Holston, Narrows, Giles, George Wythe, Patrick Henry.  I think Grundy was left out.  I watched Grundy in the scrimmage against Richlands.  No question, Richlands dominated on the scoreboard, but Grundy actually pushed Richlands off the ball a LOT in that game and was able to get big chunks on the ground.  If Grundy can not turn the ball over and not get 1st and 15's with false starts, etc, they can be a problem at the Class 1 level because they are actually pretty good up front.  Meaning, I think Grundy is in the conversation with the host of others as second best behind Galax.

Grundy will suck the freaking life out of any team with them 10 minutes drives down the field.

Amelia County 8, Thomas Jefferson 7.  These two schools will likely be the 3rd and 4th seeds in Region A behind King William and Poquoson.  Thomas Jefferson actually won the region in 2019.  Poquoson won the region this spring in 2021, but TJ, Amelia, and King William set out the spring of 2021.  Big win for Amelia County in Region A.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Running clock and up 35 — Graham leaving their starters in and trying to run up the score. Lol. 

Tony isn’t known for running up the score which he didn’t tonight. He literally started subbing some in 2nd Q. I’ve never seen him run the score up on an opponent.

6 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Grundy will suck the freaking life out of any team with them 10 minutes drives down the field.

I know the score will not show it, but they actually started doing this to Richlands in the scrimmage game, but ran out of steam when they had a holding call that caused a 1st and 20, and on another drive, 2 false starts that turned a 2nd and 3 into 2nd and 13.  If they can avoid this stuff, they likely matchup well with their front 5 against the other 1A teams defensive front 4s.  But it requires them to be nearly perfect.