Week 3 updates

bulldog05-CO2017

10 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

If your the Graham coaching staff, you have the juggernaut Bears coming to town and you are trying to nail down details, as in not getting self inflicted off sides, false starts, motion penalties.  I can understand having starters in the 4th of 35-0 IF I'm not throwing/trying to score, but trying to build cohesiveness in prep for Union.  For example, Graham has used 2 QB's and was down to 1 with Richlands.  Those snap counts, play calling, signals, all matter as I'm sure the Graham coaching staff at that point is thinking Union Bears  What do we need to work on without trying to score?  Also, you are thinking, the game is minus one practice as it's a short week if I'm not mistaken (Thursday game) so you are really trying to button down the hatch.  I watched the first half of that game on my phone.  That game could have been 50 to nothing if the Graham coaches wanted to have poured it on.  Graham purposely left about 2 touchdowns on the field in my opinion.

Nailed it! 🙌🏻 Tony Palmer is not dumb! I think you’re right on the money about what was going on! He was getting some detail work done. Yes, Graham could have scored at least twice more IMO also. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That was the 4th. And regardless of running or throwing — there’s 0 need for either team to have their star players on the field in a 35-0 game in the 4th quarter. 

3 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

If your the Graham coaching staff, you have the juggernaut Bears coming to town and you are trying to nail down details, as in not getting self inflicted off sides, false starts, motion penalties.  I can understand having starters in the 4th of 35-0 IF I'm not throwing/trying to score, but trying to build cohesiveness in prep for Union.  For example, Graham has used 2 QB's and was down to 1 with Richlands.  Those snap counts, play calling, signals, all matter as I'm sure the Graham coaching staff at that point is thinking Union Bears  What do we need to work on without trying to score?  Also, you are thinking, the game is minus one practice as it's a short week if I'm not mistaken (Thursday game) so you are really trying to button down the hatch.  I watched the first half of that game on my phone.  That game could have been 50 to nothing if the Graham coaches wanted to have poured it on.  Graham purposely left about 2 touchdowns on the field in my opinion.

I agree with Fairlawncat, working on getting better as a unit. ALSO, every team loves to pitch a shutout against a rival. I believe that to be a factor. You can’t honestly say you wouldn’t hav loved to see the Tornado shutout Graham. Either way, the shut down affects teams. I do concede limited practice time and workouts due to COVID definitely hurt a team. If Graham plays y’all again later, you’ll be much better but we might too.  Big win for the G-men, on to Union.

1 minute ago, T8KNDookeez said:

I agree with Fairlawncat, working on getting better as a unit. ALSO, every team loves to pitch a shutout against a rival. I believe that to be a factor. You can’t honestly say you wouldn’t hav loved to see the Tornado shutout Graham. Either way, the shut down affects teams. I do concede limited practice time and workouts due to COVID definitely hurt a team. If Graham plays y’all again later, you’ll be much better but we might too.  Big win for the G-men, on to Union.

The way the playoff will work — the only chance of that happening would be in the regional final — and I don’t see Richlands getting that far. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You can say all that stuff, but IMO, it is stupid to leave 10 of your 11 starters in while you’re up 35-0 with 8 min left in a game. One wrong play and someone snaps an ACL and you’ve flushed your chance at a state title down the drain. It’s just not smart. And that goes both ways. 

I hear what you are saying Ryan.  I can definitely see that side of it also and it makes sense to me.  I was just trying to think about what might the Graham coaches were thinking.  If I had to bet, the decision to keep starters in was fueled by the thought of two words, Union Bears.  But I can't get inside nobody's head on it.  I don't for sure have any idea.

2 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

It doesn’t surprise me that you would say something like that.  Pioneer, worry about Lebanon.  The final score was 66-40.  Your talking about a team that took 2 years of beatings, and now they are being coached, and much improved.  I am sure VA High won’t forget Lebanon from last year either.  They will see what they have next week against Central 

Lebanon didn't run the score up last year. Va High continues to throw bombs downfield with the game all but over. For example, It was 60-27 and the Bearcats were still playing their starters and throwing it deep. That's classless in my opinion. Taking two years of beatings,  doesn't justify poor sportsmanship either. There is no excuse for that. I know Va High will beat Lebanon this year by a lot, and that's fine, it's life and just a game. The Pioneers will grow from it, but won't do the same thing to other teams when the opportunity comes, and with Lebanons youth and talent coming up they will have that chance. 

Good luck against Central,  VHS is going to need it. I wouldn't want to play an angry Central team coming off a tough loss. 

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve been in the booth for 21 games now, and this was by far the most incompetent crew I’ve ever seen.  It wasn’t even biased or one-sided.  It was just flat out incompetent.  We had a 5th down; an “offsetting penalty” call that gave the ball back to Mount View at the original line of scrimmage after TWO possession changes on the same play (and both penalties happened after the 2nd possession change); a play where the refs allowed 1:39 to run off a moving clock between a 3rd down and 4th down.  It was just bad, not in an offensive way, just in a “can anyone do this better?!” way.

Don't forget all the times the receivers took off running before the ball was snapped and never called or the man in motion turning up before the ball was snapped

5 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Lebanon didn't run the score up last year. Va High continues to throw bombs downfield with the game all but over. For example, It was 60-27 and the Bearcats were still playing their starters and throwing it deep. That's classless in my opinion. Taking two years of beatings,  doesn't justify poor sportsmanship either. There is no excuse for that. I know Va High will beat Lebanon this year by a lot, and that's fine, it's life and just a game. The Pioneers will grow from it, but won't do the same thing to other teams when the opportunity comes, and with Lebanons youth and talent coming up they will have that chance. 

Good luck against Central,  VHS is going to need it. I wouldn't want to play an angry Central team coming off a tough loss. 

Looking forward to playing Central. It’s not a good matchup for either team. Their physicality vs or speed. I am sure we will need all that luck you speak of. 

10 minutes ago, GMan said:

Why are Richlands fans on here so butt hurt over losing to Graham???  I mean, we took our ass-whoopings from Richlands and didn't bitch about them having starters in when they shouldn't have...

Because it’s Richlands. They think they can do whatever they want, but God forbid you blink wrong in their direction and hurt their precious little feelings. We could have put 50+ on them. If they don’t like it, stop us 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, GMan said:

Why are Richlands fans on here so butt hurt over losing to Graham???  I mean, we took our ass-whoopings from Richlands and didn't bitch about them having starters in when they shouldn't have...

Scoring 7 points in the 3rd quarter is running up the score?  Graham could have scored again with a first and goal in the 4th and chose to run a freshman with the first teams in with both teams, ran off tackle .  The last series of the game featured Richlands 1st team offense  against Grahams 2nd team defense.  I dont get at all the running up the score talk.   Graham was very conservative, the entire 2nd half.  Mostly ran the QB off tackle.

5 hours ago, GMan said:

Eye-roll on the "butt hurt" since hardly anything has been said to deserve that. Graham played a great game, good play calling, good skills, and they were fired up and ready to play. Richlands had some players that got gassed early due to recovering from Covid and some just played badly. Energy from Richlands was extremely poor. Congrats on the win! Graham should have a great season.

18 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

No team in 1A or 2A would come within 2 scores of them right now. 

Disagree big time. SD lost by my like 3 last year and a healthy Appo could beat then. Tazwell had a shot at winning last year. LB jjst way down. 

18 hours ago, sixcat said:

Is there more than a couple schools in 3A and 4A that can stay within two scores of the them?

Guys c'mon get real. LCA, the best at 3A and that doesn't include the Salems and stuff in 4A. Lake Taylor or Salem would win by double digits. People forget Draft almost beat them last year.

17 hours ago, sixcat said:

They probably have the best player in the state too……and he’s only a sophomore!!!

Bruh, you guys are killing me lol. VA has multiple 5* recruits in state.    I'm not sure he's better than Bradshaw.  The CCC kid is who I assume you mean.

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Guys c'mon get real. LCA, the best at 3A and that doesn't include the Salems and stuff in 4A. Lake Taylor or Salem would win by double digits. People forget Draft almost beat them last year.

Reading comprehension has always been an issue for you, hasn’t it?

My post reads “is there more than a couple schools in 3A and 4A” and you list a couple schools that may beat Riverheads. It’s doubtful more than the schools you mention would be favored against them. They just beat the 3A state runner-up by more than 4 scores!

There little wonder why you have issues with everyone on this board!

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Bruh, you guys are killing me lol. VA has multiple 5* recruits in state.    I'm not sure he's better than Bradshaw.  The CCC kid is who I assume you mean.

Bruh, you’re a dipshit! Again, reading comprehension has always been an issue for you!

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Lafayette would battle pretty good with them. Lafayette is supposed to be really good again coming off a state title. Few seem to be talking about em on Vapreps, but they got a good chance to repeat