Union vs Graham

Gridiron60

5 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

they trailed Burton Fri. night.  Gave up a TD to Lee

12 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Has Union given up any points yet this season? Just wandering….. 

14 pts to Burton in the first half were legit. The 2nd half points scored by Burton and Lee were on 2nd string.

The Bears' 1st team has only played 2 halfs. I hope that doesn't bite them Thursday.

21 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Graham has to prove they can stay in this game mentally. Are they going to lay down like they did on the last play in April or are they going to play 4 quarters of football with determination and focus?

Graham has to play until the game is over...

59 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

If I had to pick, it would be hard to pick against Graham and Union in the region title game, but Ridgeview might have something to say about that.  

Hope that's the case.  As long as whoever comes out on top gets past region C.  I could see V High upsetting somebody if they are not on their A game too.  5 very good teams in Region D this season.

8 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

That's where the problem comes in

Graham, if healthy and they stay outside of their own heads can play with Appomattox.  Graham's talent is right there with Appo.  It wasn't talked about much, but I watched Graham at 2019 at Appomattox.  I watched that game and I'm telling ya now, the officials literally just took the game over.  Graham was exploding on Appo, and I mean literally with ANY big play, a flag was on the ground.  From called back touchdowns to first down plays for Graham that gained 30 yds only to be called back due to a hands to the face or illegal block resulting in a first and 25 which killed the drive.  It happened the entire first half.  There were many holds and illegal blocks I just didn't see and if those penalties are not laid all over the field, that game is going down to the final minute.  No offense to Union who is very good, but I want to see Appo travel to Graham, where they automatically are not the most athletic team on the field, and they don't have the friendly confines of Region C officiating.  I don't think the bad calls were on purpose in that game.  I just thought the officials got caught up on the emotion of the game and crowd, and it literally effected the outcome of the game I think. 

3 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Graham, if healthy and they stay outside of their own heads can play with Appomattox.  Graham's talent is right there with Appo.  It wasn't talked about much, but I watched Graham at 2019 at Appomattox.  I watched that game and I'm telling ya now, the officials literally just took the game over.  Graham was exploding on Appo, and I mean literally with ANY big play, a flag was on the ground.  From called back touchdowns to first down plays for Graham that gained 30 yds only to be called back due to a hands to the face or illegal block resulting in a first and 25 which killed the drive.  It happened the entire first half.  There were many holds and illegal blocks I just didn't see and if those penalties are not laid all over the field, that game is going down to the final minute.  No offense to Union who is very good, but I want to see Appo travel to Graham, where they automatically are not the most athletic team on the field, and they don't have the friendly confines of Region C officiating.  I don't think the bad calls were on purpose in that game.  I just thought the officials got caught up on the emotion of the game and crowd, and it literally effected the outcome of the game I think. 

I also watched entire game and while one call stood out as egregious, I don't think refs were reason Graham lost. Appo was much more composed and didn't panic. 

I watched the union games on NFHS and they are big and tough but I have a hard time understanding how they aren’t flagged more. A lot of crack backs and they hold and throw down the gunners on every punt return. I think they have a good team and those flags in those games would not have affected the outcome but if that’s how they play at Graham and those types of things get called, it will really hurt them. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I also watched entire game and while one call stood out as egregious, I don't think refs were reason Graham lost. Appo was much more composed and didn't panic. 

I tend to agree. Graham was down a Senior starter due to ejection from Central game. I know they had to do some shifting around. When a team, any team loses a starter during playoffs, it can mess with mojo. Not making excuses but shifting players to a new position works out and sometimes it doesn’t work out. That may have lead to them being less composed and comfortable or it may not have. Appo held Lester in check better than any team that season. If Appo wins C , they will be hard to beat no matter who comes out of Region D. 

Just now, T8KNDookeez said:

I watched the union games on NFHS and they are big and tough but I have a hard time understanding how they aren’t flagged more. A lot of crack backs and they hold and throw down the gunners on every punt return. I think they have a good team and those flags in those games would not have affected the outcome but if that’s how they play at Graham and those types of things get called, it will really hurt them. 

They had 20+ penalties against Norton. They get called. Pretty lame excuse. 

Union had not played a real team since Elizabethton scrimmage. The rust showed. Hopefully it's gone by THU if not Graham will crush then. 

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

They had 20+ penalties against Norton. They get called. Pretty lame excuse. 

I thought Graham was the only team to rack up penalties like that, lol. It may come down to who has fewest penalties, 😂.  

6 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Train horn will be there Thursday night in Bluefield. 

until the po po come shut it down.  Just kidding.  I have no idea if they will allow it or not.  City of Bluefield WV owns the stadium, who knows.  I thought noise makers were banned this year.  I don't care one way or the other if they bring it, as long as they don't blow it during the cadence, if they do, then the officials should shut it down.

20 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I tend to agree. Graham was down a Senior starter due to ejection from Central game. I know they had to do some shifting around. When a team, any team loses a starter during playoffs, it can mess with mojo. Not making excuses but shifting players to a new position works out and sometimes it doesn’t work out. That may have lead to them being less composed and comfortable or it may not have. Appo held Lester in check better than any team that season. If Appo wins C , they will be hard to beat no matter who comes out of Region D. 

This is exactly correct.  Graham was trying to rely on Lester's ability to get outside and make plays,  Appo was having none of that.  They contained him well.  Although Bradshaw was just a sophomore, I kept hoping they would try to target him and Marcus Ray more during that contest, that was their best chance against Appo.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

50-20 over Burton.  56-8 over Lee.  Very explosive offense.

Graham has not given up a point on D yet everyone on here is talking about tackling. I don’t  get it. Focus will be there guaranteed.