Tazewell vs John Battle.

Real Sasquatch

What I like about the Dawgs is they are mentally tougher and not giving up like a couple seasons ago. I think UVAObservwr eluded to the same in another thread. Even though Graham beat them, they played the whole game and coming from behind last night to win was a true test. I think the win gives them a confidence boost. I admittedly don't know much about Battle but I'm pulling for the Dawgs. I think they'll play hard until the final whistle blows. 

Tazewell will have 3 or 4 freshmen playing a lot of downs.  They are talented freshmen however.  I think I counted 23 jerseys for Tazewell against Graham and 23 again against Mount View, so the numbers are down.  The kids they have play with heart.  I'll take the dogs by 10.

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Tazewell will have 3 or 4 freshmen playing a lot of downs.  They are talented freshmen however.  I think I counted 23 jerseys for Tazewell against Graham and 23 again against Mount View, so the numbers are down.  The kids they have play with heart.  I'll take the dogs by 10.

I am somewhat confused on Tazewell's numbers. The amount of support those kids get from the community is second to none. It's really impressive. Why those kids don't come out to play and play hard is baffling. I can list numerous examples of the community supporting the kids in ways I havent seen Graham or Richlands support their kids. Take Josh Herndon's state championship in wrestling for example. Everybody in their brother was there to support when they come home from Salem at midnight. Justin Fritz is a 4x state winner(only 4x we have) in wrestling for Graham. When he come back from Salem..........crickets.

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I am somewhat confused on Tazewell's numbers. The amount of support those kids get from the community is second to none. It's really impressive. Why those kids don't come out to play and play hard is baffling. I can list numerous examples of the community supporting the kids in ways I havent seen Graham or Richlands support their kids. Take Josh Herndon's state championship in wrestling for example. Everybody in their brother was there to support when they come home from Salem at midnight. Justin Fritz is a 4x state winner(only 4x we have) in wrestling for Graham. When he come back from Salem..........crickets.

The community support in Tazewell is great. They have big crowds at the ball games.  As you mentioned, they do things to recognize the kids.  I am a little xonfused  too about the low turnout for football.  The kids that do play seem to have pride and play hard.

57 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The community support in Tazewell is great. They have big crowds at the ball games.  As you mentioned, they do things to recognize the kids.  I am a little xonfused  too about the low turnout for football.  The kids that do play seem to have pride and play hard.

That issue will be fixed in the next few years.  There are 51 kids on Tazewell’s middle school team (grades 6-8).  They’ve had to scramble to find helmets and purchase jerseys for all the kids that have come out.  Combined with a healthy 9th grade class, Tazewell’s numbers will be in the high 40s to low 50s like most other 2A programs by 2023-2024.  

It takes a while to build a program and establish a culture where little remained before.  The kids coming through the ranks now were young when Tazewell was a doormat.  It’s hard to get a high schooler up to speed with the kids that have spent years training and learning the system.  The culture’s clearly been set and has taken hold.  The numbers will follow.   

The community has always been hungry for a winner, and I think the 2020s will be very kind for them.

36 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That issue will be fixed in the next few years.  There are 51 kids on Tazewell’s middle school team (grades 6-8).  They’ve had to scramble to find helmets and purchase jerseys for all the kids that have come out.  Combined with a healthy 9th grade class, Tazewell’s numbers will be in the high 40s to low 50s like most other 2A programs by 2023-2024.  

It takes a while to build a program and establish a culture where little remained before.  The kids coming through the ranks now were young when Tazewell was a doormat.  It’s hard to get a high schooler up to speed with the kids that have spent years training and learning the system.  The culture’s clearly been set and has taken hold.  The numbers will follow.   

The community has always been hungry for a winner, and I think the 2020s will be very kind for them.

That's great news.  Tazewell has always showed tremendous support for their team as long as I can remember.  

16 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

John Battle rubbers shocks the region next Friday night with an upset.

It would take a whole lot of "PERFECT FOOTBALL" by John Battle for that to happen, Tazewell 30-7 if not more.  

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I know they aren't at the top by any means but they always play hard and have been decently competitive the last few years. But this year, sheesh.

204-410 since 1959 .327 winning percentage. Yes this year is tough in light of recent history. Thank you fourseasonsfootball.com

14 hours ago, THS6805 said:

I moved 3 years ago to saltville. With work schedule I do get to most games at tazewell or local. I played for tazewell and will always support the dawgs. 

"I moved...to Saltville." That's a seldom heard statement. 

22 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I've always thought that we had more community support than anybody else in SWVA.  Richlands is a close tight second place.  The only reason I put us ahead of them is that support wasn't as strong until they started winning in early 00's

People can laugh and make fun of the welcome back from Richlands last year all they want, but it matters and shows people support you since they couldn't be at the game.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

I've always thought that we had more community support than anybody else in SWVA.  Richlands is a close tight second place.  The only reason I put us ahead of them is that support wasn't as strong until they started winning in early 00's

People can laugh and make fun of the welcome back from Richlands last year all they want, but it matters and shows people support you since they couldn't be at the game.

I'm not gonna lie. I was one of the people poking fun of the parade down main street. All in good fun. I have several friends from Tazewell who give me grief(in good fun). So I had to share the love😂. With that said it is impressive. Ive seen on Facebook where several community members have gone to college games of recent graduates to show support. Thats great!!! Those kids are very fortunate to have that type of support. 

40 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

We can never over support our student athletes nor can we over estimate how much that support means to them. Just look at the crazy stuff we Union fans do, and the kids are always commenting in interviews how great it is.

Mot going to say that Union doesn't.  From what I understand they do but I myself have only been to BSG once so no judgement there.

I'll state it another way as well.  How many team logos or team affiliations do you see at the local businesses.  We have Bulldog Storage, Bulldog Kremery, countless businesses with Go Dogs or other team decals up.  Lots of local support.  As I said the closest I have ever seen myself is Richlands.  Graham is pathetic on that part and some may say well don't want to ruffle feathers with the other side of the line.  I call BS on that and say you support your hometown team.  Don't know how many tornadoes I ate at the King Kone over the years even though I hated saying it when ordering one I still did 😋 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, UVAObserver said:

I agree numbers will come up assuming those kids stay with football from middle school to high school but that's not a given considering they had 15+ eighth graders last year but only five freshmen after one more quit last week.