Tazewell vs John Battle.

Real Sasquatch

I'd throw Chilhowie into the conversation of community support. It's nearly impossible to separate the school from the town. The town signs are orange and black, as are the fire trucks, the EMS truck, and police cars. The town's newest park is named, of course, Warrior Park. When groups buy t-shirts unrelated to school, such as a church group, orange and black are the predominant colors. A number of businesses will use the same color scheme on its signage. You can eat at Warrior Island Seafood or eat a Warrior Burger at another restaurant. The warrior head logo, arrowhead, and slanted C are ubiquitous, particularly on yard signs and the family car. An inordinate number of parents will wear Warrior gear year-round as a part of their daily dress. For games, Chilhowie fans are about as enthusiastic as you'll find.

I can understand a business in a two school town (Bluefield VA/WV) not wanting to go all-in for one team. Why choose a business name that could alienate half of your potential customers on Day 1?

Big Stone is pretty involved to an extent but nowhere near what you just described from Chilhowie. There's Union Drug, lotta Union stuff adorning the main reason stretch in town, etc...  It was easier when it was PV because Powell Valley could describe the school specifically or if you wanted to be more general, it describes the area so lotta Powell Valley (insert business). 

12 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

OTIS AT THE CASH REGISTER AT COTTON'S DRIVE IN, BLUEFIELD,… | Flickr

Every high school deserves fans like Otis Mitchell. 

That place was called "Cottons". I remember going there a couple of times in the 90s when I was traveling from Pembroke to the Grundy area for work and would stop in Bluefield VAs legendary "Cottons." I remember that G star well and remember the owner, Otis. Cottons is still the best Cheeseburger I've ever had and don't know what it was, but haven't found anything matching that. I talked to Otis some about football and he knew I was from Giles and he would tell me, "you boys run that Tomfoolery ball over that way." He was referring of course to the single wing.  

Heck we have a kid with the last name Bradshaw scoring touchdowns like crazy and the businesses won't put a Go Gmen sign in their windows. You see community pride or support fade away during losing eras such as Marrs or Williams but Palmer and Co just held Richlands scoreless at Ernie Hicks Stadium! It doesn't get much better than that. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:16 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

I'd throw Chilhowie into the conversation of community support. It's nearly impossible to separate the school from the town. The town signs are orange and black, as are the fire trucks, the EMS truck, and police cars. The town's newest park is named, of course, Warrior Park. When groups buy t-shirts unrelated to school, such as a church group, orange and black are the predominant colors. A number of businesses will use the same color scheme on its signage. You can eat at Warrior Island Seafood or eat a Warrior Burger at another restaurant. The warrior head logo, arrowhead, and slanted C are ubiquitous, particularly on yard signs and the family car. An inordinate number of parents will wear Warrior gear year-round as a part of their daily dress. For games, Chilhowie fans are about as enthusiastic as you'll find.

I can understand a business in a two school town (Bluefield VA/WV) not wanting to go all-in for one team. Why choose a business name that could alienate half of your potential customers on Day 1?

I would agree Chilhowie is tough to top as far as community support. It is crazy how much school in the same county differ... I also think Tazewell and Richlands are up there as well both of those towns are green and blue respectively. Gate City is usually up there as well considering the away stands usually have more blue than the opposing teams color. 

As far as the game I would like to say Tazewell walks away with this one and should win it big. From what I have seen battle is way down 4 short years ago they have 40 to 50 on the team but the last few year the numbers have been way low and a lot of kids have quit mid season. However they did start the year off strong in the spring so crazier things have happened.   

16 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Chilhowie, either bland or rural retreat, and JI burton or twin springs

Thought I saw where the last 4 had rescheduled those games.  Nothing against Chilhowie but really don't want them unless last option since we played them in benefit game.  Hate rematches the same year regardless.

34 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Thought I saw where the last 4 had rescheduled those games.  Nothing against Chilhowie but really don't want them unless last option since we played them in benefit game.  Hate rematches the same year regardless.

Take what you can get...it's a benefit game

33 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I was just looking at the games that were postponed due to covid. It didnt say if they had made moves or which team had it. But I do agree rematches kinda suck