Richlands vs Abingdon

Gridiron60

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I hope this game is played. Will tell a lot about Abingdon, and there ability to run the ball

I feel like our strength defensively is the run defense. Neither GC nor Graham really had much success running the ball outside of Blevins' on scrambles after nearly being sacked. The 1st and 49 where he got 51 yards, Richlands had 4 guys touch him behind the line -- but then he was gone. I'll be interested to see if the run defense continues to be strong against Abingdon.

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I feel like our strength defensively is the run defense. Neither GC nor Graham really had much success running the ball outside of Blevins' on scrambles after nearly being sacked. The 1st and 49 where he got 51 yards, Richlands had 4 guys touch him behind the line -- but then he was gone. I'll be interested to see if the run defense continues to be strong against Abingdon.

I was impressed with Richlands' run D. If the Falcons can run on it, I'll be equally impressed with them. Also, if Christiansburg stomps a mud hole in Central, Abingdon may rule the M7 again, but if not, the M7 title will be up for grabs.

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Abingdon has a good offensive line from what I seen in the scrimmage with Graham. Richlands is pretty tough up front as well. Although it did seem that Richlands had a difficult time picking up on the blitz.

I wonder how much of that was playing last week on 2 days of practice and not having a good feel for what Palmer was going to do?  Could be wrong, but it could have been a factor. There were also times The ball was just held onto too long period. Can’t do that against an elite D. 

29 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I wonder how much of that was playing last week on 2 days of practice and not having a good feel for what Palmer was going to do?  Could be wrong, but it could have been a factor. There were also times The ball was just held onto too long period. Can’t do that against an elite D. 

There's no doubt that played a big role in their performance. Richlands on Friday night reminded me of Graham against Union in April. They were just going through the motions. Not much energy and not on the same page. They'll get better I'm sure.

15 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

There's no doubt that played a big role in their performance. Richlands on Friday night reminded me of Graham against Union in April. They were just going through the motions. Not much energy and not on the same page. They'll get better I'm sure.

Going through the motions for sure. Even at full strength, I’d doubt Richlands wins. But I like to think we would have a better showing than what we got Friday. 

This has all the making of an old time SW Va. football game! Both teams can run the ball, both teams can stop the run. It will be about execution of the game plan and the forgotten part of football, the kicking game. I think Abingdon is slightly better that's why I picked them in my picks, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Richlands won. 

46 minutes ago, SXSW said:

It will be about execution of the game plan and the forgotten part of football, the kicking game. I think Abingdon is slightly better 

Richlands kicking game was not impressive at all against Graham. It was akin to very bad. Levi Forrest is definitely missed. He was a special talent. Richlands' kicking may have just been a casualty of lack of practice that week. I really don't know. 

Unless their kicking game improves a lot this week, I'd say Abingdon's is way more than "slightly" better. 

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Richlands kicking game was not impressive at all against Graham. It was akin to very bad. Levi Forrest is definitely missed. He was a special talent. Richlands' kicking may have just been a casualty of lack of practice that week. I really don't know. 

Unless their kicking game improves a lot this week, I'd say Abingdon's is way more than "slightly" better. 

It was fine for GC. And Bandy’s FG against Graham had plenty of leg and was about 2 feet wide left. The punting was very bad, though. That’s not normally like him. He’s a 2 year starter at P and I’ve never seen him kick like that. 

25 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It was fine for GC. And Bandy’s FG against Graham had plenty of leg and was about 2 feet wide left. The punting was very bad, though. That’s not normally like him. He’s a 2 year starter at P and I’ve never seen him kick like that. 

Like I said it was probably due to lack of practice due to being quarantined, kids gets rusty without continual practice & reps. I’d say he’ll look much better this week. But yeah it was the punting not necessarily kicking. 

Noticed no one from the wine and cheese district had posted on this yet.. Abingdon lost to Christiansburg with 7 seconds left on the clock. It was back and forth all night with 5 Abingdon starters out on Covid protocol. 

Everyone is back ( maybe even a surprise ). 
Abingdon has not won in Richlands since 1978.   Ryan, old buddy, we don’t need to miss this one.  You and I were there in 2015 when we should’ve beat you all on paper by 2 scores. We lost by 40+ and needed a med-vac unit to get home. 
Good luck to both teams tonight. I’m praying they all leave safe and have fun. 

Boast away, man. Y’all have a legit team. Can’t wait to see how y’all fare with Union/RV/Central. Gonna make noise in 3D as long as y’all stay healthy. Better team clearly won tonight. 
Ricgksbds needs to be very selective with who they pick up next week. A 3rd straight blowout and they may pack it in and call it a season. Need to find a competitive team to give the players more confidence before Ridgeview & Tazewell. And hope they find some heart Abe fire next week.